You can type here any text you want

4 questions in one post (what connector, headliner, trunk springs, back seatbelts)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Grimster

Grumpy Redneck
Ok here's a 4 for 1 post:

Is there a picture or guide somewhere to show how to set the springs on the trunk to make them lift the trunk again? Apparently someone messed up the springs and now you have to physically lift the trunk lid, very very annoying!

While I'm at it - I can't find the left and right rear belts, the middle belt is there but I can't feel or reach/find either of the side belts, where exactly are they (perhaps supposed to be)? Maybe they were removed at some point and not put back in but I am not 100% positive WHERE to look to be sure!

Also, my headliner is sagging (imagine that) has anyone used standard headliner material from someplace like Hancock fabrics? If so what "color" is the right (or close enough)?

And last but not least, what is this connector? It's unplugged right now I didn't want to plug it back up until I knew wtf it is (linking because they're big pics):

Unhooked connector pic 1
Unhooked connector pic 2

Thanks!

Not sure about the first three questions, maybe someone else can chime in, but the connector looks like a power antenna electrical connector. At least it's in the general area where that connector is. Do you have a power antenna? Is it stuck in the up or down position?

I had a sneaky suspicion it was, and yes, I do, and yes, it IS stuck up.

When I put in my stereo I hooked up the antenna power wire, and I could hear a relay behind the glovebox "click" but no antenna movement.

So I will hook that up and see what happens.

No don't. Leave it unplugged. No sense popping fuses cause the motor keeps running or is already burned up.
Your antenna is probably shot like mine.
Time to replace the antenna/motor assembly.
Kirban and others vendors sell new and remaned antenna assemblies, but they aren't cheep. And the job is a pita, but can be done with simple hand tools.

I plugged it up, nothing happened, so I hooked up the power lead for the antenna to the radio, heard that relay click, but no noise from the antenna at all, so, either the fuse is also blown or the motor is just simply dead. I'll check the fuse to see.

Ok here's a 4 for 1 post:

Is there a picture or guide somewhere to show how to set the springs on the trunk to make them lift the trunk again? Apparently someone messed up the springs and now you have to physically lift the trunk lid, very very annoying!

The trunk lid springs are 2 torsion bars that cross under the package shelf in the trunk. There are 3 positions for the ends of the bars: the stock position is the bottom but you can pull the bar rearward out of the slot and put it up into the next slot to increase the tension and therefore lift the trunk lid better. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH JUST YOUR HANDS OR A PAIR OF PLIERS! There is quite a lot of tension on the bars so you need the leverage of a long handled tool.

"While I'm at it - I can't find the left and right rear belts, the middle belt is there but I can't feel or reach/find either of the side belts, where exactly are they (perhaps supposed to be)? Maybe they were removed at some point and not put back in but I am not 100% positive WHERE to look to be sure!"

The rear seat bottom can be removed without any tools at all. You need to climb in the rear for leverage, push the seat bottom in towards the rear bumper to clear a couple of catches, and lift the front up. You will likely find that the belts have just slipped under this seat cushion, but if the belts are really gone you will need this seat bottom out in order to attach some new belts.

"Also, my headliner is sagging (imagine that) has anyone used standard headliner material from someplace like Hancock fabrics? If so what "color" is the right (or close enough)?"

I have a local place called UFO ("Upholstery Fabric Outlet") that has the correct headliner material. It has to be headliner material, because it has foam attached to it. Regular fabric won't be right. As far as color goes, I'm color-blind so I rely on others to pick a good match for me.

Thanks I'll play with the bars tomorrow using some sort of prying bar.

So you push the front of the seat bottom back to clear a latch then just pull it up? I'll try that.

Hancock fabrics has headliner material in 3 shades of gray, I took a piece of mine with me (from the edge under the sunvisor and got what is an extremely close match, I'll fix the headliner tomorrow too, hopefully find the belts, and fix the trunk.

That will just leave removing the antenna and fixing/replacing it, new injectors & matched chip and maybe, upgraded fuel pump and adjustable FPR to kinda button up the car so nothing is wrong with it that bugs me :)

Thanks!

I redid the headliner, Hancock Fabrics had several greys, this one looked the closest, now that it's in it looks damn good to me, but I'm easy to please :D

Click the picture for a bigger view:

I pulled the seat, there are no left and right seatbelts! Time to hit the parts for sale forum. Haven't messed with the trunk yet, might in a minute and see.

Now get the seat trim pieces back on (the PO never put them on) and then it's time to clean it up for the car show in Ardmore next weekend!

Also gotta get the headliner back in my 85 silverado and get my bed cover built (using the same vinyl as I put on the headliner to make the bed cover out of). Want to show it as well at the show.

Ardmore Quarterback Club-Car Show

Back