You can type here any text you want

4L80E trans question??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn_steve

boosted canadian
Hi guys i have the opportunity to put my hands on a 4L80E from a savana 2x4 with the ecm harness and driveshaft!

My quedtion is do they fit on our cars if not is there an adapter to put them on cause i think the 4l80e is one tuff trans???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will need an adapter kit to mate with the Buick bolt pattern.

Other items are a electronic controller, and a torque converter to suit your build, adapters for the cooler lines, different yoke and driveshaft mods, re-work the crossmember to fit and other items like the dip stick.

Mods to the shifter will be minor for it to adapt to work ok.

I don't have the numbers here but the stock 200 may have a deeper 1st gear. In otherwords, car will be slower with a 4L80E

Slower is A relative term if the 2004r won't hold up to the power. But unless you are knocking down 10s a good builder should be able to get you hooked up with a reliable 2004r.

Yes but the 4l80e is free i have about 400 to the wheels will a stock 4l80e hold up that power?

A free 4L80e gets expensive. Adapter to engine, torque converter, shorten and re-yoke the drive shaft. Then there is the controller for the trans .
I'm not saying it isn't an option. It just isn't as cheap as swapping it in. You don't know the condition of the 4l80e. I would want it gone through and clutches, paper and rubber replaced.
Do you not have the brf 2004r any more? It should handle 400hp with a few upgrades and careful assembly.

How much hp can a stock 4l80e handle??

No clue. I'm sure a google search could turn up. Some figures of what gm put in front of it.

Did you get my pm?

The 4l80 is basically a th400 with a over drive . I say grab if it's free . I went through my share of 200 I'm on my th400 now with no issues . As stated above u need a computer/ecm , custom drive shaft , converter , Ect. It adds up fast next. Thing you know u are $1000-2000 into your free trans . You most likely will never break the 4l80 so I think it's worth it .
. image.jpgimage.jpg

I am also making the move to the 4l80e (behind an LS) and from talking to builder about them, A GOOD WORKING 4l80e should be good to 400-450 after that drop in an upgraded sprag and that should take you to 700 after that is a few more hard parts and 100o is doable. NOT my words. but this info is pretty much the same from different sources.

Back