You can type here any text you want

500+HP and the big BANG!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scott231

Mean Scott
In order to get the TSM car ready for the Morocco event, I took FAST V6 down to the dyno at Competition Motorsports in Cincinnati with Lonnie Diers for some "real tuning." The engine setup was the same that I had been running for years with the exception of aluminum heads, 72pph injectors (up from 52s) and Cometic head gaskets. Mind you I have been beating on this stock block with stock internals for almost 10 years now.

First pull netted just under 500HP with 23psi boost and a quite-lean air:fuel ratio (like a maximum of 13.5:1) burning straight C-16.

On the Second pull I added another 4% fuel (which I found out later added 15HP) but at ~5,700 the engine stumbled, made a Bang! and died...then bolts started falling out of the engine compartment...and then a much-larger-than-usual oil leak started dripping.

The ensuing conversation went something like this:
"What happened?"
"I think I just blew an engine"
"Sounded like a timing chain let go"
"Where's all that oil coming from?"
"Where them bolts coming from" ... you get the idea?!

I hit the starter and with a valve cover breather off, we could see the valve train wasn't moving. As such, we figured it was the chain. Upon dissasembly, things took a turn for the worse.

I am of the opinion that the RJC Engine Girdle contained the mess as much as possible. It could have been worse. See the details
<<HERE>>

Originally posted by Scott231
URL]

Did it take out the tranny, or just the case?.
I **might** have a spare 200R4 case coming. If you don't have a line on one, holler and I'll sweeten the deal and try to get it faster, or at least not miss out on it..

That sux thou......

Were you using any knock detection?.

that is way bad!

I understand the pain!

I would be very interested in the post mortem.....what went first?

SORRY TO HEAR THAT, SCOTT

Maybe a touch of "metal-fatigue"???

It is a MAJOR bummer, for sure...but it was a great motor to have been beaten on for 10 years! Seems some guys have to build a new one every 10 months!

If you can, keep it in perspective...what can be salvaged?

I'm betting your next motor will be "twice as nice", Scott! :)

OUCH!:eek: Hate that for you... At least you say you got 10 good years on it.....

DAYYYYUMMM

can we start up a fund raiser for scotts new motor?

are you still going to morocco since the car is broken?

That's friggin unreal. I cant believe the crank busted into 3 pieces. Or that it cracked open the bell housing on the trans. Sorry to hear of the misfortune. Just start a slow project on the new motor & trans. I'm sure when the baby arrives, you'll forget about the car for a little while. I know quite a few folks with that same story. :D

I hate to ask...

But what are the details on those pistons you were using?

Sort of makes me glad I opted for some forged cans.

And who was saying not too long back in a post that a car with girdle wont break cranks , Oh well same disaster happened to me except i didnt make 500 h.p , i was driving from work . I was running ESPs girdle so you may get to be the first with the RJC snaping the crank , im sure other guys have broke cranks with girdles though . Maybe the stork can bring a new T.A block with the Baby Its pretty light .:p ;

Sorry to hear this Scott, but......

Over time I'm sure detonation killed it little by little.......

Some people don't realize that little by little detonation kills these motors! It's almost like a firecraker when you think about it....... Everytime you detonate a motor you shorten the wick and before you know it........

KABOOM!!!!:eek:

Well on the bright side you got 10 years out of it so just look at this as a good time to upgrade:D :cool: :)

yikes that is pretty bad! i guess blowing up my tranny doesn't even compare to what you did! now i don't feel so bad...i'm not the only one down and out for the rest of the season:(

Originally posted by d0n_3d
yikes that is pretty bad! i guess blowing up my tranny doesn't even compare to what you did! now i don't feel so bad...i'm not the only one down and out for the rest of the season:(

Here this will make you feel better: http://buick.r00td0wn.net
Check out the pics.

Maybe a touch of "metal-fatigue"???

Yeah I'd say so. With as MANY HG's as Scott has blown, and if you really saw how horribly bad some of them are, this was bound to happen.

I am always sorry to see anyone's car get messed up like this. Scott, as usual if you need me, gimme a call.

To any of the other Central Ohio guys that read this, I'll be planning a tear down party soon, so keep an eye out in the lounge!

Sorry to hear and see this for you.
I have had two turbo cars take a dump on me and its now not a big surprise when it happens. I almost like having to put together new blocks.

I am impressed that the stock crank pretty much made over 600 hp at the flywheel. Sounds like this would of been really fun to race in.

Sorry about that! :(

Take a good look guys..........If you like to flog it..........just a preview of coming attractions........in YOUR garage. :p

Wow, seems like all of us are breaking our cars.

Jer wrecked his, you join the DOTC club and it seems I nuked my converter.

Not a good month.

OOP'S

Sorry to see that Scott. Hope you still try and make it to Morroco still. Who knows you might to pick up a few good used pieces there.

Steve

:( that sucks

everytime I hit the throttle on my ttype I expect that to happen but I've gotten lucky so far and now I'm detuning

I think its just a matter of time if you push them hard not nessasaraly the power output or the tune just that it cant take it but so long

Guess we didnt have a head gasket problem after all. If we make the "fuse" indestrucable, the next weakest part is out the bottom or the side.

13.5:1 huh? Bet we detonated the crap out of it. Better get that sorted out before we hit it next time ya think? Maybe next time start off rich and lean it a little at a time...like say 10.5:1 and lean from there.

If you come up empty on the trans, I have a spare I was saving for my car, but, you know, a friend in need.... and all that stuff... dont know what I'm gonna do with my spare motor. I wanted to save it for a rainy day.

Well, it looks like you broke the bellhousing but not back into the trans case itself so the valve body is hopefully still okay. All 200-4R cases are the same (well, later ones have more ribs but they all interchange), so you can get a cheap junkyard core and transplant your innards. Not great but a little cheaper than buying a BRF without a core. Great pics, by the way.

Back