You can type here any text you want

7.5 Rear end Swap Help !!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ralphsmith_jr

Its a six
Guys I have a 87 limited t....I was looking at changing the rear end to an 8.5 GN...however when you find one its $800.00 ++ I would like to have the disc brakes in the rear of the car and after I purchased the rear end and changed out the drums to disc, I would be up to my ears in a simple rear end...Does anyone know if you can swap a 93 and up camaro setup in this car. Since the cars already had the disc set up i thought it would be cheaper...any thoughts??? thanks

The larger question is why does your T have a 7.5 in it???

Guys I have a 87 limited t....I was looking at changing the rear end to an 8.5 GN...however when you find one its $800.00 ++ I would like to have the disc brakes in the rear of the car and after I purchased the rear end and changed out the drums to disc, I would be up to my ears in a simple rear end...Does anyone know if you can swap a 93 and up camaro setup in this car. Since the cars already had the disc set up i thought it would be cheaper...any thoughts??? thanks

The rear out of the camaro will fit if you have a torch and a bunch of parts to weld it in. Sorry but they're not EVEN close to the same. The G body metric chasis never had discs from the factory so you must either get a kit from an aftermarket source or cut the backing plate mounting up to use the camaro/blazer disc set up.

Since you're new here I'm gonna make some simple sugestions to you.

1) Go to your user controls and add some info on you and the car.

2) Do a LOT of reading before you do anything as far as mods. These cars can be cranky at best so if you don't know what you're doing ask first to see if someone near you can help. We like to help each other so it's not a problem

3) Keep reading and searching the board to see if you can find what you're looking for first before asking questions. Someone somewhere has probibly asked/done it before but once in a while it doesn't come up.

Not being mean or anything but I've been there myself and if someone had pointed some of these things out to me I would've been faster at learnig some of this stuff.

Welcome aboard.:biggrin:

PS: All of the turbo cars from 84 to 87 came with the 8.5" rear. If you don't have it now someone changed it out.:eek:

The rear out of the camaro will fit if you have a torch and a bunch of parts to weld it in. Sorry but they're not EVEN close to the same. The G body metric chasis never had discs from the factory so you must either get a kit from an aftermarket source or cut the backing plate mounting up to use the camaro/blazer disc set up.

Since you're new here I'm gonna make some simple sugestions to you.

1) Go to your user controls and add some info on you and the car.

2) Do a LOT of reading before you do anything as far as mods. These cars can be cranky at best so if you don't know what you're doing ask first to see if someone near you can help. We like to help each other so it's not a problem

3) Keep reading and searching the board to see if you can find what you're looking for first before asking questions. Someone somewhere has probibly asked/done it before but once in a while it doesn't come up.

Not being mean or anything but I've been there myself and if someone had pointed some of these things out to me I would've been faster at learnig some of this stuff.

Welcome aboard.:biggrin:

PS: All of the turbo cars from 84 to 87 came with the 8.5" rear. If you don't have it now someone changed it out.:eek:

Even more importantly the rear in those F-body were 7.5 anyway so there's nothing to be gained.

Thanks guys....I guess maybe I was not clear, my car is the "t" model 307 olds with a v8, so that means no 8.5 :frown: it has the 7.5 rear and I was looking at changing some things up...again thanks for the info...was looking at doing an ls swap..just looking for info...

We weren't trying to beat you up Ralph, we've all been there at one time. I forgot that there was a T model that wasn't turbo V6. As far as beefing it up the 307 doesn't make that much power to warrent the change. If you want discs on the rear lots of options available. You can even get the parts of evilbay fairly cheap. The caIiper you use is up to the kit mostly. Good luck btw.

Even more importantly the rear in those F-body were 7.5 anyway so there's nothing to be gained.

from 93-'02, every F body got the 7.625" rear, which is a slightly upgraded 7.5. and it is definitely not a bolt in deal.

ok one more question then...about how much money would i be into a 8.5 swap no posi unit..I can get one fairly cheap but what will the cost be to make it a posi?

ok one more question then...about how much money would i be into a 8.5 swap no posi unit..I can get one fairly cheap but what will the cost be to make it a posi?

79.00 for a 28 spline mini spool

Get us some pictures, i didnt know they made a 87 LIMITED T v8

Dead giveaway is the steering wheel.
T was for touring, all the v8 " T's " ive seen had grey interior

Limiteds are sexy:biggrin:

Thanks..No pics now its being stripped down...weird deal 87 regal limited T..t steering wheel, wheels, and suspension...60/40 bench seat no buckets and a vinyl top..that was the first to go

Thanks..No pics now its being stripped down...weird deal 87 regal limited T..t steering wheel, wheels, and suspension...60/40 bench seat no buckets and a vinyl top..that was the first to go

what the bench seat or the vinyl roof?

Actually the top, I found a little cancer under the top :( and I just found a full set of GN seats 2 buckets and a rear for 350 so the bench is now gone as well. I was looking for a drive train and it appears that I will stay with the 307 or find a ls..not sure yet, I think i will do the rear end first

Would you like a 350 Olds instead of the 307 Ralph? We've got a few laying around here as well as a 403(?) that a friend has if you're interested. I'm north of Waco btw.

Would you like a 350 Olds instead of the 307 Ralph? We've got a few laying around here as well as a 403(?) that a friend has if you're interested. I'm north of Waco btw.
a 350 Olds is a direct swap into the 307 mounts and uses all the accessories. hell, you could even disguise it as a 307 and not tell anyone what it really is.
a 455 Olds is also a fairly straight forward swap, as well.
personally, i'd go with the simplicity of cheap big bolt in cubes before i thought about swapping an LS engine in something.
as far as the original question- if money is an issue, i'd look for an 8.8 out of a late 80's Thunderbird Turbo Coupe to swap in. Ford sold a LOT of those cars, and it is easy to find a rear end out of one of them. they came with either 3.45 (automatic) or 3.73 (stick) gears and a lot of them had limited slip differentials.
they are stronger than an 8.5, and some of them even had rear disc brakes.
once you get it all bolted in, then you can either run 4 lug wheels (eww), put in Aerostar van axles and run the smaller Ford 5 lug bolt pattern, or get the axles and brake rotors/drums drilled out to the GM bolt pattern.

Thanks for the tip Derrik Is it a direct bolt in or are there mods needed?
not a direct swap, but apparently not too hard to do.
never done it myself, but if you can start out with a $200 junkyard rear instead of a $1000 GN rear that you find on the internet in the possession of someone that thinks it's worth more because it's a GN part, that just gives you that much more $$$ to use to get it on the road.

Back