750hp recipe

That's what I'm after
I've talked to a few performance shops about the goal.
Every body seems to say about the same.
3.625 stroker
Good aluminum heads
6262 turbo or 6266 turbocharger
Good intercooler
On 93 octane only
Hey Ernie GN, those goals are easily attainable with a stock block. That's the whole big debate on this thread. Yeah it's a descent MPH on pump gas but that car had a fuel cell, fiberglass front and rear bumpers and a big intercooler just for starters. And it was built by Hennessy Performance, which adds up to big bucks...:ROFLMAO:

Hey Ernie GN, those goals are easily attainable with a stock block. That's the whole big debate on this thread. Yeah it's a descent MPH on pump gas but that car had a fuel cell, fiberglass front and rear bumpers and a big intercooler just for starters. And it was built by Hennessy Performance, which adds up to big bucks...:ROFLMAO:
Yup

Fuel cell does not add HP but mostly not needed for the goal I'm after
Intercooler yes

Basically at the end of the day it's a weight to horsepower ratio that gets you there and traction of course.
Hennessey Performance is not required haha

The way I see it
When rebuilding it's not a massive cost difference stock vs stroker
I'll just go stroker to make sure a get the goal I'm after.
But everyone to there own.

Nice
I'm building a stroker
What boost were you at on your runs

I like that mph

Tucson AZ just this past November, engine is 7 1/2 years old with between 675 and 700 track runs and street blasts combined put on it before this run. Street blasts are just as hard on engines as full passes, they wind them up just as hard, just not as long......

22lbs of boost, a really shitty 1.75 60ft time and a crosswind at the mid/top of the rack of over 20mph. That affected the ET big time but it is the only recent time slip I could find laying around .......

The air was at over 3200ft that day.

I don't think she's bad looking, either. :D

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 89
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 82
Well, I finally just popped a head gasket last weekend in my 10.4**, 130mph plus, forged stroker/cast iron head combo engine after 7 1/2 years of beating on it, so I think Lou Czarnota, the guy that built this one, did pretty good. Thanks Lou!

The next iteration he puts together for me will be even better.......

Have a good weekend!:D
That's my point.you could have run mid 10s on a stock shortblock.you shouldn't be losing the head gasket at that power level I have made a lot more power and kept the heads on but hey its your motor if you feel better about having forged everything than so be it.

That’s what I love about st
Tucson AZ just this past November, engine is 7 1/2 years old with between 675 and 700 track runs and street blasts combined put on it before this run. Street blasts are just as hard on engines as full passes, they wind them up just as hard, just not as long......

22lbs of boost, a really shitty 1.75 60ft time and a crosswind at the mid/top of the rack of over 20mph. That affected the ET big time but it is the only recent time slip I could find laying around .......

The air was at over 3200ft that day.

I don't think she's bad looking, either. :D

That’s great!

That’s what I love about strokers. Doesn’t take much boost to go fast. They are just cruising at 11s

That's my point.you could have run mid 10s on a stock shortblock.you shouldn't be losing the head gasket at that power level I have made a lot more power and kept the heads on but hey its your motor if you feel better about having forged everything than so be it.
How much boost would it take to do a run like that on a stock short block?

I’m sure a lot more then 22 pounds

That’s what I love about st

That’s great!

That’s what I love about strokers. Doesn’t take much boost to go fast. They are just cruising at 11s
Boost is just a number.power is power some need more boost some less.compression, heads, cam,and valve spring,intercooler turbo all play a role.

Shit happens sometimes.
Time (time takes a toll)
Bad fuel ( we never truly know what we are pumping)
Running on the lean side a lot and high timing (running on the edge)

I’ve seen head gaskets go out on new cars. None turbo. 4 cylinder low horsepower engines.

How much boost would it take to do a run like that on a stock short block?

I’m sure a lot more then 22 pounds
Read my post.boost is just a number one motor can make 1000hp 18psi and another motor can make 1000 hp at 30psi,1000hp is 1000hp.dont think for a second the lower boost number will last longer power is power.

Read my post.boost is just a number one motor can make 1000hp 18psi and another motor can make 1000 hp at 30psi,1000hp is 1000hp.dont think for a second the lower boost number will last longer power is power.
I know that.

But I’d rather build with as little compression and Boost to get to my goal.

If I can run low 11s high 10s
I’d do it with 18 pounds and 9.0:1 compression .
Not 30 pounds+ and 8.0:1 compression .

Mainly because I wouldn’t have to use race fuel alcohol injection

I have had lower intake charge temps at 35psi on bigger turbos than the smaller turbos at 22psi.boost isn't the enemy.
I can agree with that.
Small ones have to work harder for sure.
It’s more about how much air can you pump not how much boost.
Which is why a bigger displacement engine will run fast and work less

Shit happens sometimes.
Time (time takes a toll)
Bad fuel ( we never truly know what we are pumping)
Running on the lean side a lot and high timing (running on the edge)

I’ve seen head gaskets go out on new cars. None turbo. 4 cylinder low horsepower engines.
Shit def happens.

I can agree with that.
Small ones have to work harder for sure.
Stroker don't make more power than the stock stroke in these motors,they just generally do it on a few less lbs of boost that's it.

Stroker don't make more power than the stock stroke in these motors,they just generally do it on a few less lbs of boost that's it.
Yes
That’s why I like them. Keeps me from using race fuel or alcohol injection. For my goal that is.
Others people goals maybe not.

I know that a stock stroke 3.8 Buick will take more of a beating when set up right.
Just like people like using a 327sbc at 8k rpm rather then a 383sbc at 8k rpm

adding boost is the same as adding CI

Love talking cars and more about turbo Buicks.
This was actually an enjoyable experience talking with you.
We can both agree that there are different ways to get to 10s

Just like some guys choose the ass and others choose the vagina.
Lol

I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with you, just as I wasn't here in back '12, trying to get in a pissing contest with the guy's who chimed in on the post way back then. Not that much or very much has changed since then, that is completely subjective.

I only know what I know. The stuff I paid for works, it's been proven over time. It's been proven by its performance. You CANNOT deny that fact.

You can throw all the disparaging remarks about my car at me you want to, (Maybe I'm taking your words personally without warrant?) and you can say I did it wrong all you want.

You cannot, however, take anything away from the way this car was conceived in thought, manifested in the build and the way it runs ('till now).

It absolutely fucking worked, it worked good, and it worked for a LONG time. No matter how you argue that very fact, it is indeed , a fact.

It will be even better when Lou is done with his next build.

I can say with absolute confidence that this will be the case, I assure all of you who read this post.

Last edited:
You need to remember that none of these Buick V6 engines make big power in and of them selves. They're small displacement engines in the grand scheme of things. They make big power because air is being forced into them. If you increase the cubic inches from 231 to 273 and use the same turbo you'll make the same amount of max power. The power production will be bigger at a lower rpm,but the max power will be determined by how much air you force through the engine. The max airflow won't change because the major contributor to airflow (the turbo) hasn't changed. As Mr.Spool said,max power will be produced at a lower boost pressure,but it will be the same as the lesser cu, in, engine.
This is partially true. If 2 Buick V6 engines produce the same power with different amounts of boost and cu. in.,they will exert the same amount of force on the crankshaft. The engine with the smaller bore will need to generate higher cylinder pressure to produce the same amount of force on the crankshaft as the engine with the bigger bore diameter. The work load will be higher above the piston but the same below the piston. I think the possibility of blowing head gaskets will be higher on the engine with the smaller bore,however I also think that ignition timing is the biggest factor when it comes to blowing head gaskets and exerting unusual wear patterns on the main bearings.

You need to remember that none of these Buick V6 engines make big power in and of them selves. They're small displacement engines in the grand scheme of things. They make big power because air is being forced into them. If you increase the cubic inches from 231 to 273 and use the same turbo you'll make the same amount of max power. The power production will be bigger at a lower rpm,but the max power will be determined by how much air you force through the engine. The max airflow won't change because the major contributor to airflow (the turbo) hasn't changed. As Mr.Spool said,max power will be produced at a lower boost pressure,but it will be the same as the lesser cu, in, engine.
This is partially true. If 2 Buick V6 engines produce the same power with different amounts of boost and cu. in.,they will exert the same amount of force on the crankshaft. The engine with the smaller bore will need to generate higher cylinder pressure to produce the same amount of force on the crankshaft as the engine with the bigger bore diameter. The work load will be higher above the piston but the same below the piston. I think the possibility of blowing head gaskets will be higher on the engine with the smaller bore,however I also think that ignition timing is the biggest factor when it comes to blowing head gaskets and exerting unusual wear patterns on the main bearings.
You know I would have to agree with this as well.
I’ve seen a guy run 10.5 @135 on pump gas.
Same car , same day.
All he did was turn on the nitrous.
He ran about 9.4@ 138