You can type here any text you want

78 Turbo 2bbl

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

elk93001

Slow, original, rare
I recently acquired a 1978 Regal with the 2 bbl turbo setup. For the money ($1000) I couldn't pass it up. I originally wasn't sure of the shape and was going to use this as a parts car. To my surprise, low miles elderly owned and mostly everything intact. The interior needed cleaned up a bit. I painted and/or dyed all of the faded plastic trim and replaced the steering column (due to a defective ignition/column lock mechanism.)

Anyways, I knew with this low of miles (52,255) that there were going to be some gasket issues.

Eventually I am going to replace the intake and heads/exhaust manifolds and turbo with ones from a 1979 and keep the 2bbl setup since it is pretty rare (even the TvBV, the PEVR equivalent for 2 bbls, is intact and in good shape).

The issue at hand, seems to be at highway speeds (45 mph and up) a significant amount of blue smoke. There appears to be an oil leak near the EGR valve. As I said before, I want to do essentially a head gasket replacement only putting on 79 hardware as replacements for the low flow 78 hardware. Aside from bad gaskets (due to age not mileage deterioration) is there anything else I should look for during the teardown?

its possible your blue smoke may be from heads on it.they probably could use a good cleaning.but thats just a guess

its possible your blue smoke may be from heads on it.they probably could use a good cleaning.but thats just a guess
I did not think of that. I guess I'm thinking of the worst case scenario-- bad rings....

I plan on doing compression and leak down tests. If that comes out ok, then at least the heads will be replaced with newer ones that have been re-done.

Is it common for the pre-'79 heads to get that dirty? I haven't had bad experience with any of the '79 or new heads or even the 3800 SII heads with high or low miles.

I did not think of that. I guess I'm thinking of the worst case scenario-- bad rings....

I plan on doing compression and leak down tests. If that comes out ok, then at least the heads will be replaced with newer ones that have been re-done.

Is it common for the pre-'79 heads to get that dirty? I haven't had bad experience with any of the '79 or new heads or even the 3800 SII heads with high or low miles.

i'm not to sure on a before black car the heads get that dirty.but its a thought.my 86 blows some blue smoke out when its first started slogn has told me its probably the heads.

Damn where's everyone finding these cars at:confused: I got a set of 82 heads and a driver's side exhaust manifold if interested. The heads would need a full rebuild though. WHat's your location??

Good find. Usually blue smoke indicates oil but if it only comes out when at spped I'd supect the turbo seals. The rest of the engine is under presure and there wouldn't be a way for oil to enter the combustion chamber otherwise. If it was only at start up I'd say valve seals.

My drawthrough turbo FWD engine did this same thing. Then it blew up from oiling issues. The RH cylinder head was filling with oil above the exhaust valve guides because the oil returns were clogged. There are only 2 small return holes per head. There are no exhaust valve guide seals on these early model engines and it will smoke at mid/ high RPM's if the oil level under the valvecover gets above the valve guised.

The leaking egr valve would also indicate the head is filling with oil and allowing oil to exit the exhaust. This is before the turbocharger exhaust inlet, so the turbo seals will not cause this.

There is a danger of all the oil going into the valvecover and none in the sump. This, in combination with a disintegrated nylon timing gear circulating in the oil ruined my engine.

It was was an 84 model with 43000 miles.

Hope yours does not meet the same fate!!

David

I've found a couple nearby, but I'm more looking for a garage find:biggrin:

I do know where there's a 79 sitting, but it needs almost as much work as my car does, well almost as much. Doors look good. THe paint and interior is terribly faded/cracked. I think it needs a header panel and a bezel. Looks like somebody stood on the hood cause the scoop is pushed down. As far as rust goes it looked to be minimal. I couldn't get a real good look at it beings it was sitting in a field, on an incline, with tall grass surrounding it. No way in hell was I traveling too deep into that or sticking my head under there. In that area of nebraska anything could pop out. opossums, coons, rats, snakes (i don't do snakes:redface: ) bull snakes, rattlesnakes. Yes they're around! When he told me 700 bucks, I left. Probably have over 2k in it before it was back to normal:rolleyes:

Good find. Usually blue smoke indicates oil but if it only comes out when at spped I'd supect the turbo seals. The rest of the engine is under presure and there wouldn't be a way for oil to enter the combustion chamber otherwise. If it was only at start up I'd say valve seals.

I've seen the valve seals leak at all speeds. Worked with Buick, Pontiac 3.8's since '78 and valve seals are a common problem with age. But as far as the work wether it be valve seals or turbo seals they are both work intensive.

I'd do both since it will require ripping the top engine apart anyway. Got to be pretty good mechanicalwise to deal with the turbo, and valve seals are tough especially on the A/C side rear.

Valve seal replacement is easier to do then ripping out the heads but getting the valve spring compressor to work on the A/C side is a knuckle buster. I recommend removing the passenger side motor mount bolt and lifting the engine up to get clearance for the spring compressor to work.:frown:

Thanks to all for your comments/advice.

The blue smoke is always at highway speed, never at startup, which made me think originally that it wasn't the valve seals.

Right now I will pull the valve covers and see what is lurking under there. This would just be a few days that the car will not be running. I would like to drive it a little bit more while it is nice out.

I think I will pull the heads after the weather gets bad, and changover everything to the later heads and intake that I have. I will install the remanned turbo that I had planned on putting on another project. The AC was empty when I got it and new parts are waiting to go in, so this will have to wait. I guess I have my winter project waiting.

I know what you mean by knuckle buster, but these RWD GM cars are a piece of cake to the FWDs with the Quad 4 . The waterpump is by far the the worst one I have had to work on. Head gaskets are a pain in the @$$. Never again.

Back