84-87 set up????

dpcp66

Ok I was told if I want to go fast in a 84 Gn I need to get the pmr plant out of a 86/87. I have found few build ups on using the hot air car to go 12(were Iwant to run the car all day) but I was tolt if i used a intercooler set up they make it would run alsmot that just buy bolting the kit on. Were would I find this kit?? and is it really worth it or am I looking at beinga guythat has a Gn that doesn run like it should. after all I dont care really if its intercooled or not as log as its my little BUICK v6 thats beating the compition

Thanks Doug

Intercooling your Hotair will yeld you around 40-50HP at the wheels or so. With todays tech, you can reach your goals with your hotair with the Aid of ALKY or meth injection.

It's all about TUNE and the right parts.

Intercooling your Hotair will yield you around 40-50HP at the wheels or so. With todays tech, you can reach your goals with your hotair with the Aid of ALKY or meth injection.

It's all about TUNE and the right parts.

There's a lot of things you can do before deciding on going intercooled or not.

86/87 ECM upgrade
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Hot wire the fuel pump
Install electric fans
Datalogging (Powerlogger) a must for tuning.
TT Chip (Allows fueling and spark changes)
Wideband O2 sensor
Catback Exhaust upgrade
Adjustable wastegate
Posi if your car doesn't have it.
Suspension
Alky injection
Brakes.

Well... As someone currently performing an 84-87 conversion, for what you want to do I would say save your money, keep it Hot Air and do what the experts tell you. Seriously. With alky you should be able to tweak it to run into the 12's all day long.

I didn't listen, and joined the Dark Side. Don't get me wrong, it's been a fun and rewarding learning experience thus far, but for what I've sunk into this beast (and it's still not back together yet) I could have had two HA cars. :eek:

Cheers,
~Dave

I did my conversion not because I wanted a 12 second car (already have the TTA that is much faster than my GN) but because I don't care for the hot air set up. I always felt that Buick wanted to do something really cool but either didn't have enough time to do it right the first time or decided to test the waters before investing the R & D to produce the IC version. When I bought my 85 I never had any intention of leaving it hot air. After sitting on it for about 6 years I ran across a wrecked 87 to use a donor. For $1100 I bought the wrecked 87, I've used everything necessary for the conversion, sold the rear end for $450 and still have good used 109 engine and 200r4 trans plus a lot of spare hot air parts that I'll eventually sell. My net cost of conversion will end up being less than $500, well worth it in my opinion.