You can type here any text you want

84 GN engine...cam choices

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Donniejr81

I am getting ready to start breathing new life into an 84 GN engine I am picking up. My big question is cam choice. I've heard that head machining is required to go with larger cams. Is that true?? I'm not wanting much bigger, but some. THe car with have a 3.73 rear, 2004R, and maybe slightly looser TC, with an intercooled 87GN turbo and IC, and a freer flowing exhaust than factory. The cam I was thinking of is Lunati with .426 lift and 250 dur. Or would I be able to use the one with .451/.470 with 250/256 advertised duration. Any suggestions on a better choice. Not only is Mustang hunting a goal, but good driveability is also. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

A flat tappet is a drop in. Most people go from a 206-206 to a 212-212 with everything in between. A roller is nice but requires much more work and money. Has it ever been rebuilt? There's a slight difference with the stock front cam bearing.

To the best of my knowledge its all original, and ran good when parked. Its about a 75K mis engine. I've included two different grinds I'm considering, any input?? Streetability is a big factor in here too. Am I looking at much grief to make either of these work as far as chip reprogramming or machine work to the block?? Which one would be better in your opinion in a Regal? Thanks again :smile:

Hydraulic. The best choice for all TBI and MPI applications. Expect strong low to mid range horsepower and torque gains. Excellent for RV type vehicles, pleasure boats or towing applications.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 250/256
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 207/213
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .451/.470
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1000-5200

Hydraulic. Grand National turbo camshaft. Will work with both stock turbo or upgraded T-3/T-4 types. Recommend 3.42-3.73 gears, aftermarket exhaust and upgraded EFI computer for best results. Good idle!

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 256/256
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/213
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .470/.470
LSA/ICL: 112/108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 1600-5800

Back