You can type here any text you want

84 t type radiator questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
ambiant air sensor

Turbobooster, the ambiant air sensor is located in the air inlet tube between the air filter and the turbo on the 86-87 GN. It tells the computer what the air temperature is out side the car. When I talked to the radiator shop they said that the 4 core I purchased was designed to handle high horse power engines and flow more air through the core. All I know is that it really works good, I can turn on my AC and kick in my turbo and it still runs 170. I could never get below 180 before. The reason you want an after market chip like the Ultra chip from Caspers is that is has the stock chip along with 6 different levels of modified chips, so you have every kind of modified timing you can handle. Each time you change a setting it puts in more timing and more boost with just the click of a switch. Also the stock chip kicks on the fan at 195 and the modified chip kicks on the fan at 170-175

Th ambient air temp sensor is AKA a MAT sensor. You can pick one up at a junkyard from almost any GM vehicle. Then run the wires to the new ECM. You actually dont NEED to do this. I have had my 87 ECM and not MAT sensor for some time now (lazy). The only thing is it triggers the SES light to come on. Nothing a little electrical tape can't hide tho ;)

Went from stock rad to V8 Gbody HD 3-core and made a big improvement, for about $80 from AutoZone. As already mentioned you need the top metal hold down that can be found on V8 Gbodys. This hold down incidentally is the same as the one used on the 86/87 cars with exception of the two tabs for mounting the electric fan. I welded two tabs on to mine for a factory like elec. fan install. Next I moved to the Aluminum Fbody [Transpro/Ready-Rad] Radiator part# 433918:
http://webbase.transpro.com/lookup.php?partnum=433918&acctname=icarz&acctpw=smartlink There was no comparison. I am done playing with radiators, I will be sticking with this one. Definately a best buy IMO. $118, light as heck (I could hold the radiator with one finger), stays much cooler, dissipates the heat much quicker, plain out looks good, and a LIFETIME WARRANTY ;)

On the electric fan install, although not necessary it is a good move IMO. Best way as stated is switch to 87 ECM and have it control the fan: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/8487ecm.html Any 86/87 chip (designed for your injectors) will get you going, [yes] including a stocker, if you have stock injectors of course. Joe Lubrandt at PTE is a good choice for burning you one (cost is $50 I think). Thrasher chips are $25.
You dont necessarily have to switch if you dont want to or cant right now to use a electric fan. As mentioned you can just hook up a switch. Or you can purchase a thermostatic control which is adjustable and will turn the fan on at a preset temp. I bought one of these in the past from AutoZone for less than $20 for another vehicle, and it worked fine. I dont like the idea of having to worry about switching the fan on manually. I have the 86/87 ECM turning mine on, and installed a switch so I can turn it on manually if I need/want (i.e. for the staging lanes).

P.S. You can find the same OEM fans that were used in the 86/87 TRs in some V6 Fieros (there were two styles that came on the Fieros). Look around the junkyards, they are out there.

MAT sensor

one more thing I forgot to mention, the electrical plug used for the ambiant air temp sensor is also used for the boost wiring on the turbo link software. Turbo Link is used to tune the car and give you all the important data that your computer processes

thanx for explaining that for mr buick and thanx to u too firebird lol i know it more by that term MAT sensor so i guess ifi get the 87 ecm the ultra chip is the best way to go then another thing is talking about the electric fans where do u actually connect the wires too wher do i concect them to? and as far as the stock fan on the pulley do i just bolt it off or whatdo u do wit it?

i was looking through my poston catalog and they also have a ULTRA CHIP they offer is anyone familiar wit postons? it talks about setting ur performance level from mild to wild using a miniature thumbsheel switch numbered 0 to 7 depending on ur desired performance level. it goes for 195 dollars has anyone seen this one or have used it ? is it the same thing as caspers? also has the fuel delivery, turbo boost, ignition timing, ignition advance curve and fan control programmed into it

Originally posted by turbobooster
i was looking through my poston catalog and they also have a ULTRA CHIP they offer is anyone familiar wit postons? it talks about setting ur performance level from mild to wild using a miniature thumbsheel switch numbered 0 to 7 depending on ur desired performance level. it goes for 195 dollars has anyone seen this one or have used it ? is it the same thing as caspers? also has the fuel delivery, turbo boost, ignition timing, ignition advance curve and fan control programmed into it
Same chip. They sell a bunch of Casper's products.

I would go with the Max Effort. It has way more adjustability. You can really fine tune your combo. It has two different timing settings and nearly infinate adjustability on the fuel along with many other features.

Tuning with it consisted of going WOT, watching my 02s and flipping the thumbwheel until they were where I wanted them. No more pulling over, adjusting fuel pressure, and making another pass. It's the next best thing to a FAST system.

Max Effort

Cool84, what timing do you have with 93 octane on the street? What kind of boost can you run on the street with 93 octane?
Do you have an Turbo Link data from your car?
I have been able to get 15 degrees timing with 16 lbs boost with out any knock issues on 93 octane. If I go higher on timing I need to use alcohol

I was looking through my old TL files from 1999 with my old combo back when we had 92 at the pump. It was surprising I was running 18psi with 02s very low around 650mv knock retard fluctuating between 0-2 degrees. That was on 18 degrees of timing before the Max Effort. My particular Max Effort has 18 degrees for pumpgas and 24 for 100 octane/methanol inj.

For each file I have the boost, temp, octane, etc written down. I don't remember being able to run that much boost on 92 but I guess I did. If I remember right, I couldn't run quite as much boost with the TA64 as I could with the 49 but it was still faster.

Back