86 GN out of storage

dale rethke

Hello

I have not ran car in 5 years. Only 36,000 miles bought it new
The car has sat alot in storage since new especially the last 10 years
Just took ii out of storage and it has issues.
Doesn't seem to run well so we replaced fuel pump with delphi model.
Took it for a drive and it ran well but under hard acceleration it pops and bangs.
It has new plugs I think maybe a fuel pressure issue maybe?
It has 36 on a gauge is that not enough at idle?
Maybe a fuel pressure regulator?
Computer issue?
Any ideas??

Need to do a complete spring cleaning on this one. No more hard accelerating. Needs alot of parts and time to get it up to 2017. Keep reading or you are just gonna blow head gasket and that will be even more expensive.

Any specifics

First DON'T PANIC ! The sky is not falling and the motor won't suddenly go POOF !

Second where are you located ? There maybe a Turbo Buick "guy" near you that can help you out .

Best bet is to have a "PRO" look at it and tell you for sure , what it needs and what is ok before you just go off on a wild goose chase

First instance, fuel pressure. Vacumn line off,42-43. Scanmaster as Pronto said, new fuel filter and probably new pump. New wires, fuel pressure reg, ls maff and translator. New chip and injecters. Just a few things to get started. Go on other turbo regal site and look up spring cleaning. Complete list and go from there. No way should you be boosting car been sitting 10 years. Your car needs a complete going over since its been off the road for so long.

I am in South Dakota. I may know a guy who has a scanner

What Delphi model did you replace the pump with ?

Check all the vacuum lines that you can see.. in particular the ones that are going from the turbo to the wastegate actuator.

you will need a few more things than just a scanner ... because if your coil pack is bad , or ignition module is bad , or fuel pressure isn't riding 1:1 with boost .. the scanner wont tell you any of that ..

I would seriously see if you can find a Buick guy that's on the this forum or in the know to help you ... especially if you really like this car ... 15 minutes with a PRO and you will know exactly what it DOES need .

Dale, not just a scanner, a scanmaster specific to turbo regals. You can prob get old style pretty cheap since new model came out as gauge. Go on parts wanted and post youd like to buy a scanmaster, im sure someone will chime in as many people have switched to the new one. Turbo 89 has great point, if you can have a already gn owner help you out in your area.

Doesn't seem to run well so we replaced fuel pump with delphi model.
Took it for a drive and it ran well but under hard acceleration it pops and bangs.
It has new plugs.
Computer issue?
Any ideas??

First off, congratulations on being an original owner. I am as well.
At least your not messing with others misguided mods.

Fuel pump: at least 255 lph or more depending on mods (I can't see sigs anymore)

Spark plugs: .030" gap is a good starting point, tighten gap as needed w/ increased boost (race fuel, alky injection or E85).

Computer chip may be an older unit not designed for today's fuels?