You can type here any text you want

9" vs 12 bolt

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Quiky One said:
Hmmmm I like that Dana. Anyone know if the brakes are a direct boltup?

Jason

they should be because you're suppose to send them the backing plates off your rear end. I dunno if you can use 3rd gen backing plates though on a 4th gen rear. If not there's all sorts of conversion parts for going to LS1 style brakes.

Nice articles, though at this point I dont think it matters which one you go with. Any of the three, dana, 12 bolt, or 9", should hold up just fine. I have a Moser 12 bolt in mine, been in there for well over 500 passes now with no issues.

Yeah i've been reading about 10 bolts also. What do you guys think about those? Thanks

WHich version of the 10 bolt.. the 7.5 or 8.5.

7.5 is made of glass
8.5 is same as the GN rear. Dont think anyone has ever converted the brackets over to an 8.5 10 bolt.

Back to square one.

Razor said:
WHich version of the 10 bolt.. the 7.5 or 8.5.

7.5 is made of glass
8.5 is same as the GN rear. Dont think anyone has ever converted the brackets over to an 8.5 10 bolt.

Back to square one.
O.k.. Someone suggested it to me, and said all I needed was an 8.5 10 bolt and anything else was overkill. He told me you could buy them ready to bolt in. I have not had a chance to check on it to much though. Good thing I have my expert buddies on here to answer all my questions. Thank you

An 8.5 10 bolt with posi from a GN is $800+.. and will not bolt in unless tons of $$$ modifications are done.

No cheap way about it. Been there and done that.

Razor said:
An 8.5 10 bolt with posi from a GN is $800+.. and will not bolt in unless tons of $$$ modifications are done.

No cheap way about it. Been there and done that.

There was a company some years back selling GM 8.5 10 bolts that would fit 3rd gen f-bodies but havent heard of it in a while, maybe thats what dvernst is talking about.

Be nice if we could still get the Dana 44

I threw that Dana 60 in my rear of my 91 firebird. LOVE IT. I had drums in the back so I had to convert to disc from an ls1 car but it bolted up just fine. Just tell them what you are doing and they can set it up for 4thgen discs.

12 bolt is more efficient than 9".
Also lighter than 9" or dana 60.
Dana 60 rear ends are HEAVY.

turbows6 said:
12 bolt is more efficient than 9".
Also lighter than 9" or dana 60.
Dana 60 rear ends are HEAVY.

and the Dana 60 and 9" are both stronger and cheaper than the 12 bolt.

O.K. I want something for the price of the Dana 60 with the strength of the 9" and the weight of the 12 bolt. :biggrin:

Weight is over rated. Go to Jenny Craig and lose a few pounds or make more power ;)

dvernst said:
O.K. I want something for the price of the Dana 60 with the strength of the 9" and the weight of the 12 bolt. :biggrin:

ummmm I think you've got some stuff confused. First off the Dana 60 is about $100 more than the 9" but it can take more power. The Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" ring gear vs. the Ford 9" ring gear. Also according to the Strange site the Dana 60 is only about 20-25 lbs heavier than a 12 bolt http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html In my opinion that's the way to go anymore if you're planning on making big power later on. You can get the optional true-trac limited slip which is suppose to be a very street friendly unit and work well for both drag racing and autocrossing.

72firebird said:
ummmm I think you've got some stuff confused. First off the Dana 60 is about $100 more than the 9" but it can take more power. The Dana 60 has a 9 3/4" ring gear vs. the Ford 9" ring gear. Also according to the Strange site the Dana 60 is only about 20-25 lbs heavier than a 12 bolt http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html In my opinion that's the way to go anymore if you're planning on making big power later on. You can get the optional true-trac limited slip which is suppose to be a very street friendly unit and work well for both drag racing and autocrossing.
Yeah I was just kidding.

Can you use the stock calipers and Ls1 rotors? What all is involved in changing over to the LS1 brakes?

Thanks Jason

Back