90' 454ss pick up looking for Ideas

chazmat2316

I'v had this truck forever, now is the time to do the motor over, and I'm looking for ideas on what to do about the fuel injection. I'm looking to convert from the stock TBI to Edelbrock performer MPFI. The motor will have 10:1 cr, Edelbrock performer heads 290cc runners, Chevy cam 210-218 @50,with Edelbrock headers. Should be a nice mild setup, I'v never built a BBC this mild before, but looking for great driveablity! What I would like to know has anyone, or know anyone who has used this performer MPFI on a BBC, and can give feed back of any kind, good or bad. Thanx for any input! Charlie

Isnt 10 to 1 compression a bit high for pump gas? I thought 9.5 to 1 was the max. You might know something different but I'm just bringing this up as it would suck if you got it and knocked or pinged all the time.

Jason

www.454ss.com

10:1 is fine w/ aluminum heads and proper cooling.

I have the same truck, they are cool, even if its slow.

I'm going to do a 6.0 ls motor w/ 4L80E swap if I keep mine. Maybe turbo'd. Hell, it doesn't hook now with 230 hp, why not try 500 or 600?

Quiky One said:
Isnt 10 to 1 compression a bit high for pump gas? I thought 9.5 to 1 was the max. You might know something different but I'm just bringing this up as it would suck if you got it and knocked or pinged all the time.
LT1's in 95-97 f-bodys have 11:1 and LS1 have 10.5:1 Heads I'm putting on my wife's TA will make it 11.4:1 Normally when someone speaks of the compression ration, they are referring to the static CR with the valves completely closed. But the cam grind plays an important part of the overall dynamic CR, DCR as the valves may not be completely closed for part of the compression stroke, thus causing a loss of compression. I know of some who run 12:1 or more with pump gas, no ping because of the cam/valve overlap doesn't allow a full stoke of air to be compressed. And as mentioned, aluminum heads and polished chambers can also reduce detonation.