.942 - 60' -what would it have run???

BlownV6

We took my dragster out Thursday night to test & tune in preperation for a quick 8 race in Cincinnatti at Edgewater dragway. Things went fairly well as we unloaded with a .987 - 60' , 2.7676 - 330' , 4.2852 @ 162.45 then made a change that slowed the car down so the last pass we went back a tad the other way for .9848 - 60' , 2.7594 - 330' , 4.2670 @ 163.04.
Took it home and made a few changes for the quick race on saturday. The weather was really chilly (50's). We decided to go as my personal best has been a 4.25 @ 161 and given how the car was running and the conditions we though we lower our personell best and 90% sure we could qualify. I wanted to put more fuel to it given the conditions but my crew (wife and my VW buddy thought I should leave it alone being it was running good , so I left it alone. We were the first pair out to qualify and the following describes the pass.

When the trans brake released I was pinned in the seat and the front wheels started a slow and deliberate climb up to about 12 to 14". I have never heard my engine sound quite like this before , it sounded like a beast that was chasing me!! The car was drifting slowly to the left towards the wall and out of the grove but still carring the front and actually gaining in height the farther it went. Switching from total amazement to self preservation mode I lifted and it set the front wheels down and I pointed it back in the groove and steped on it to see if it was going to stick , it did so I rolled back into the throttle and took it to the finish line. I knew it was an awsome pass but had no idea the it was this good until the crew showed up with big smiles and WHOOOs and told me it went .942 - 60' and 4.23.

We took it back to the trailer and I bolted 10# in the nose and added a bit of fuel (not enough). second round was a bit more of the same as it carried the front wheels to the shift at 1.5 seconds and shortly thereafter backfired the burst panel out of it. 10# of compression in the #1 cylinder with no appearent damage to plugs and valve train was still in perfect working condition on the cylinder. Still ended up #2 qualifier!!

Question is what kind of pass was this on?? These kind of conditions dont come around often but it absolutly gave me a sign and gave me a new hope that that 3.999 in the 1/8 mile is possible!! Im fired up!! Mike:cool:

The following pics show the time slip , overall view of the race-pak data , then closeup shots of at 0 seconds , .5 , 1 , 2 , 3 & 4 seconds.

Attachments

• MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 396
  • MVC-015F.JPG
    MVC-015F.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 379
  • MVC-016F.JPG
    MVC-016F.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 406
  • MVC-017F.JPG
    MVC-017F.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 391
More info

Attachments

• MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 391
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 379
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 374
  • MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 382
more info

Attachments

• MVC-018F.JPG
    MVC-018F.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 369
  • MVC-019F.JPG
    MVC-019F.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 399
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 377
  • MVC-021F.JPG
    MVC-021F.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 388
Way to go Mike!!!!! Sorry I couldn't go on saturday ( I had to work:mad::mad:). Hopefully I can go next time out. Even give you a hand if you need it.

Dave Fiscus

Nice

Just wondering. Why does the RPM do the double bump on the shift? Is this normal? Just trying to learn. Most of my experience is on clutch cars.

Congrats.

Mike Barnard

Fiscus - Made a few believers outta my v6 , catch you next time!!

Otto - You know how this works!! Make more power and that just Fricks something else up. Im real close to getting it right , just lacking experience in the tuning dept. at this level.

Spoolfool - See #1 post second paragraph. That big dip you see is where I had to lift completely off the throttle to get the front wheels back on the ground because I was drifting out of the groove and close to the wall. The double bump is where I hit the throttle to see if it would hook up as I was 8' to 10' out the groove. When it didnt spin on the first hit I pushed it open again and went on to the finish line. Mike:cool:

With my car, a decent blip of the throttle to keep the nose down is .15 in the 1/8. You were out of it longer than a blip. That's gotta be 3.9 or very low 4.0 territory.

With my car, a decent blip of the throttle to keep the nose down is .15 in the 1/8. You were out of it longer than a blip. That's gotta be 3.9 or very low 4.0 territory.

BTW I basically was off the throttle almost a second and I would agree with you that any kind of off the throttle event that happens in the first 100' is around a tenth loss. However this was Im guessing at around 200' so Im not sure it would have killed as much being I was maybe going 100 to 120 mph at that point. Couple of the smart guys stopped by and looked at the data and came up with around a 4.15 , but I think that 60' number might get something a bit quicker , like 4.0 something as you say. Good thing I didnt send my converter back to you to have it loosened up a bit ,cause on that run it was at 7000 at .5 seconds into the pass. Normally it has been 6500 at .5 with .980+or- 60' and every time we go out this year its making more power as I get a handle on the tuneup. Mike:cool:

BTW I basically was off the throttle almost a second and I would agree with you that any kind of off the throttle event that happens in the first 100' is around a tenth loss. However this was Im guessing at around 200' so Im not sure it would have killed as much being I was maybe going 100 to 120 mph at that point. Couple of the smart guys stopped by and looked at the data and came up with around a 4.15 , but I think that 60' number might get something a bit quicker , like 4.0 something as you say. Good thing I didnt send my converter back to you to have it loosened up a bit ,cause on that run it was at 7000 at .5 seconds into the pass. Normally it has been 6500 at .5 with .980+or- 60' and every time we go out this year its making more power as I get a handle on the tuneup. Mike:cool:

You definately found some power to make it flash that much higher. Your on to something.

You definately found some power to make it flash that much higher. Your on to something.

Basically just keep throwing more fuel at it , and Im still behind as my exh temps are 1250+ at the 1/8 and i just cant seem to get them any lower. Im throwing 10 to 12% more fuel in the hat at it every week and its going faster but not lowering the exh temps yet. Still learning!! One thing I have been doing is lowering the starting line rpm at the brake release. This gives my 10 year old tires a chance to hook. Raising the rpm causes to much wheel speed and results in the G meter doing spikes in the first 60' and nets slower 60' ETs. But with that kind of 60' number I cant justify putting new tires on it yet , at least until I get it a bit more sorted out. Mike:cool:

Good run Mike, you going to Norwalk?

Im taking it apart today. I only have 10# of compression in the #1 hole. No I wont be bringing it to norwalk , I dont think they have any class I could play!! I probably will be coming with the ROCK man!! See you there!! Mike:cool:

I retorqued the head studs before this race and ran a compression test. The #1 cylinder was down from 75# to about 71# but I wasnt to concerned about it. This must have been the culpret , and the fact that it wasnt quite rich enough got the torch started!!! I was afraid that the head gaskets might be the problem , but so far so good with the 1/2" studs!! Mike:cool:

Attachments

• MVC-025F.JPG
    MVC-025F.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 191
Mike

Great to hear everything is coming together...

Watch this...
YouTube - KH 3.677@207.2 world record pass al-anabi racing

The car in the video below ran 3.72 with a .942 60ft

Here is the break down of the pass in the Vid.
R/T .056
60' .926
330' 2.479
660' 3.677

Im sure I will never go that fast , but I have dreamed for 10 years that I would get it to go 3.999 and or 165 in the 1/8 mile. Pretty much every pass this year has been 163 so Im defenetly moving in on both the speed and ET. I will hit that 165 mark very soon , the 3.99 is still a ways off and just a dream!!! But Im gonna keep digging!! Mike:cool: