You can type here any text you want

A/C experts,repairs and where to get parts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JimP

My A/C recently stopped working, I noticed last year before putting the car away the compressor would cycle very fast, on off, barely cool the car. Car has just over 53,000 miles. I don't use the A/C lots but I want it to work when needed.

Since I will be replacing the heater core with a new old stock GM unit, should I go ahead and replace the evaporator while I'm in there?
Should I get a new accumulator too, I'll be going with a Blue orifice tube and 134A refrigerant or equivalent.

Do you guys think the A/C lines are OK to use with R-134 or similar Duracool coolant. Are there after market lines available for use with R134?

I'll be evacuating the system and seeing if it holds vacuum before I proceed but just wondering which of the above mentioned parts to change and where to get them?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

I wouldnt' change the evaporator unless you know it's bad.

I would change the accumulator and add some of the new style oil charge you will need for R134a to it.

Save the stocker if black, and cap it off, someday the originals will need to be restored and it's hard to match that factory cheesy black paint. :eek:

You can use the stock lines if they don't leak perhaps new O-rings if you can find them.

I use the duracool in the car that has/had R12 in it, one can a year (slow leak), and just R134a in the other car that's been converted.

Ooops noticed you said "experts" that ain't me. :p

If it holds vacuum with the stock existing stuff you should be okay. :smile:

Like the above post, I'm anything but an expert. :) Having said that, your current lines will work fine unless they are damaged. I would however suggest using a red orifice tube from a Ford-150. I've been told and seen first hand they do tend to cool better with 134a then the one our cars call for. O-ring kits are readily available at any parts store. Don't have to be vehicle specific, just get a generic GN o-ring kit there will be some in there to fit everywhere you need one.

use a micron guage if ya want to use vacuum to leak check. otherwise dump 80#+ of nitrogen in the system to pressure test it. let it sit overnight.

thanks for the feed back guys. Going to tackle this this weekend, at least the pressure test part. I'll advise how it goes.

use a micron guage if ya want to use vacuum to leak check. otherwise dump 80#+ of nitrogen in the system to pressure test it. let it sit overnight.

X2 to on that. Nitrogen will pressurize the system and it also eats up any moisture that may be left behind after the vacuum. Let it sit with a vacuum for at least an hour before you charge.

I always use ester oil with 134.

Back