You can type here any text you want

A/C Receiver Dryer

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mad_Trbo

Curious to know if anyone knows the AN conversion for the fitting to the A/C receiver dryer.

Everything I look up in hose end fittings only goes up to a -10, but it looks more like a -16 to me.

Also wondering if anyone has done any braided lines for the A/C before?

AC lines are made specifically to government spec so refrigerant wount leak out. AN fittings wont do the job and I wouldn't recomend trying to use the AC if you do this. You'd have to "dummy" up the system just for looks and never use it.

AC lines are made specifically to government spec so refrigerant wount leak out. AN fittings wont do the job and I wouldn't recomend trying to use the AC if you do this. You'd have to "dummy" up the system just for looks and never use it.

Are you sure about this? So you are saying the kits sold on summit are worthless.

I think not, I'll give aeroquip a call on monday!

Thanks anyway

Are you sure about this? So you are saying the kits sold on summit are worthless.

I think not, I'll give aeroquip a call on monday!

Thanks anyway

Since AN fittings require a nipple to seal and the accumulator uses a line with a ridge and o-ring on it to seal the system the AN won't seal. If there's a dress up kit availble for it on summit I didn't find it on their website. I just finished looking through all of their ac stuff and didn't find anything. I guess my 27 years as a tech and my masters certification don't mean anything?:confused: :eek:

No disrespect meant

So are you saying the AER-FCE1833 with the female o-ring pilot won't seal off with the fitting on the condenser on our buicks. I swear it looks like it is the same design as the solid aluminum line that is stock?

If I am wrong then so be it, but it never hurts to ask.

Another question, the switch that connects to the manifold attached to the back of the compressor. Is that a Hi lo pressure switch, if so does it have to go right there?

Just so I am clear, I didnt mean to infer that summit sold a fitting that would mate up with the accumulator. Hot Rod Airconditioning is the company I am researching for this. The sell a -12 female o-ring pilot deal that adapts down to a -10 which I think is the size line coming off the compressor anyway. The only challenge I see if this will work is the crimping on braided line. I don't think that will work.

Now that you gave me a part # it helps. I did a search for you and I think I found someone that might be able to help you more than summit. Try these people.
www .streetrodstuff .com/Products/2113/
They deal in AC parts a little more than summit and should be able to hook you up. But it's NOT AN fittings. They're special fittings developed by aeroquip for just such a thing.

That is helpful.

Can you offer any advice on the switch mounted on the lines/manifold that bolts to the back of the compressor?

If I go with the braided lines, I am trying to figure out how to incorporate this switch back into the system. I believe it is a hi / lo pressure switch which when pressure is in the correct range closes the switch. With pressure out of range it opens the switch.

Can you confirm and perhaps provide suggestion on how to reincorporate if I clear out all hard lines?

The switch is the high presure cut out. You will need it for a CCOT system like our cars use. I'm sure some one has a manifold that will bolt up to the compressor with the correct fittings. Wait until you contact the people and see what they say.

So are you saying the AER-FCE1833 with the female o-ring pilot won't seal off with the fitting on the condenser on our buicks. I swear it looks like it is the same design as the solid aluminum line that is stock?

If I am wrong then so be it, but it never hurts to ask.

Another question, the switch that connects to the manifold attached to the back of the compressor. Is that a Hi lo pressure switch, if so does it have to go right there?

Just so I am clear, I didnt mean to infer that summit sold a fitting that would mate up with the accumulator. Hot Rod Airconditioning is the company I am researching for this. The sell a -12 female o-ring pilot deal that adapts down to a -10 which I think is the size line coming off the compressor anyway. The only challenge I see if this will work is the crimping on braided line. I don't think that will work.

that fitting is a good fitting and will work but in my opinion you'd bee better off getting a red dot catalog from your local a/c shop or thermoking dealer and you can get every fitting and hose combo you want out of a red dot catalog and get the cheap rad hose dress up kits for the steel braided part just ask the guy making the a/c hose up to put it on before he makes the hose save you a ton of money

Red Dot Catalog, I'll have to look into that. I am in no hurry, thanks for the feed back!!

Truth be told I can't seem to find anyone local who does custom A/C work.

Cat's Meow

As they used to say that Red dot catalog is the cat's meow. They have every possible fitting. Additionally as suggested by 38, I will probably save a ton of money.

The only reason I was going with the braided line in the first place was due to the aeroquip fittings. They were the only fittings I could find that would work. Now I can avoid those fittings and I can avoid the associated hose and related cost as well. The lines will be out of site anyway. So thanks Charlie and 38.

Additional question, not that I know I have to do this, but if I end up with lines longer than stock will this hurt performance of the cooling system? I am thinking not.

and with the accumulator has any one ever used the one from NAPA with the automatic adjusting orifice tube? I under stand this where you can really change the characteristics of the cooling system with the restriction here?

Don't bother with the self adjusting tube, it's not worth the money. Ask for a tube for a 98-03 Ford (yes I really did say it) PU. The red or blue tube will cool even beter than the other one and costs less. Line legnth won't effect cooling as long as the charge is mantained and everything is fuctioning properly.

Condenser

At what point do you recommend changing out the condenser. I did not have a failure, instead I simply did th conversion amidst doing an engine rebuild.

I have seen where there is some sort of super efficient condenser one should use with the R134a conversion?? Any advice with this?

Since the car is as old as it is I don't know it there's a super efficient condensor for it or not. At the very least clean it out and make sure there's no trash in it. You will notice a loss of cooling at idle reguardless of what you do because of it being R134. It's only going to work well when the car's moving and the condensor gets good air and the presure is higher on the liquid line side.

Back