You can type here any text you want

A couple of questions.

• Thread starter Thread starter pat83t
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
P

pat83t

1) What does it take to do away with the whole smog pump crap on my 83 t-type??
2) Anybody happen to have a spare 82-83 oil filler neck in good shape? This is discontinued by GM and mine one of the tabs is shot. Pour in a quart, only get a pint in.
3) Anybody need an 81 grille? I got one to use when I had my wreck and replaced it with a true 83 grille. Don't need it anymore. probably real cheap to a good home.

Pat,
I might be interested in the 81 Grille. How good is the chrome? Mine is good on the leading edges, but beginning to delaminate from the backside out. Thoughts on price w/ S&H? zip is 18360.
Thanks, Mike
BTW, is the oil filler neck the same as that from a N/A 3.8? I think I have a spare from an 85 Cutlass 3.8. ??? (Gotta find it first, though.):D

Originally posted by pat83t
1) What does it take to do away with the whole smog pump crap on my 83 t-type??

The smog pump is part of the AIR system. After the smog pump there are two solenoid valves, AIR Control and AIR Switching. The AIR control is first. It either sends the smog pump effluent to the AIR Swtich or the air cleaner. If you work the throttle while idling (warm), you may be able to hear it diverting to the air cleaner. The AIR Switch either sends the pump effluent to the exhaust (via the back of the intake) during open loop or to the catalytic convertor during closed loop.

I don't know the consequences of a missing/malfucntioning AIR system, other than elevated emissions. There wouldn't be any performance gain, since the smog pump produces alomost no drag. Before I did away with it, I would disconnect effluent pipe at the Control solenoid and drive it for a few a days and see what happens.

Not sure on the condition of the grille but I will check. If nothing else make a black out grille out of it or paint it the same color as the car.:) I was thinking maybe 5-10 bucks plus shipping, if that but if that oil filler tube is the same and in good shape we might just call it even if that is alright. I will check and see if that would be the same or not.

The AIR system will effect the life of the catalitic converter if it is not working correctly. Assuming that you have one?:)

Actually there is one still there but I am getting ready to pop in a bolt in exhaust dump by taking the stock converter flanges and putting a chunk of pipe with an exhaust dump in the middle of it the same length as the converter so I can just do a quick direct bolt in and still change it back later without any hassle. (< worlds longest sentence :D )

Back