A teachable motor moment!

DARTHV6

I’ve had this stock 87 GN motor on a stand for 18 years. Cancer and old age almost got the best of me then my young great Nephew wants to learn about GN’s well, I’ve forgotten about everything but we decided to take this thing apart, have the block looked at then rebuild it. It’s taking us forever but we are about half way. I’ve been on the forum about as long as I’ve had this motor. Thanks for answering all my questions and if you don’t mind, I’ll keep them coming to show this kid how cool our cars are!

Art
2FBC3614-904D-449C-8D7F-31D3333AE670.jpeg
ps motor looks decent right?

Your nephew is certainly rare in today's world. All 99% of them care about is the latest i(idiot)phone and fakebook.
Yeah pretty special. That phone wasn't too far from him but I was surprised how much he paid attention and was willing to learn. I raised 3 daughters none of them want anything to do with the GN except, maybe the youngest, since her name is listed to get it in the will. I've been stepping over banana peels for years. LOL!

Maybe, or there just aren't that many miles on it.
Well, you know? We just got back from dropping the block off to have it checked along with the crank. Everything was ridiculously clean BUT there were after market pistons in it. Nothing else was changed. stock, rods, shaft, cam everything. So, I don't know why somebody would change the pistons and keep the cam even. Oh yeah the rear main bearing didn't have that rope seal (I thought they all had) somebody put in the neoprene seal. My guess they made the changes and never drove much after that. What do you think?

It might have gotten rebuild back when stock cams were available. What pistons are in it and what's the actual bore size? (stock is 3.800")

It might have gotten rebuild back when stock cams were available. What pistons are in it and what's the actual bore size? (stock is 3.800")
I'll have to ask him. He said they may be Hyper pistons? Does that sound right? The piston shafts are stock but somebody numbered them.

Yeah pretty special. That phone wasn't too far from him but I was surprised how much he paid attention and was willing to learn. I raised 3 daughters none of them want anything to do with the GN except, maybe the youngest, since her name is listed to get it in the will. I've been stepping over banana peels for years. LOL!
Lol, remember to check to see if she has put armor all on the steering wheel and brake pedal pad too. If you drive anything with leather check the seats so you don't slide out into on coming cars.

Lol, remember to check to see if she has put armor all on the steering wheel and brake pedal pad too. If you drive anything with leather check the seats so you don't slide out into on coming cars.
LOL! I'm on it! I aint going anywhere soon so some boyfriend to be doing some drifting in a G body. That aint happening!

For a novice, I don't take enough pictures. Can you tell by this?: I just don't know why anyone would only change the pistons and nothing else. The motor was fully assembled with the transmission when I got it 18 years ago. Don't understand. I'll just drop the subject but I feel so betrayed. Haha!
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

I'll have to ask him. He said they may be Hyper pistons? Does that sound right? The piston shafts are stock but somebody numbered them.

Hyper-eutectic pistons, stock replacement. Basically powdered metal pressed into shape. Cheaper to make than flow-cast and just as strong and a bit lighter. But nowhere near the quality of a forged piece.

So yeah, that thing was refreshed at some point and never run much after that. Which should be good news for you. It might not need a bunch of machine work. Clean it, refresh the bearings and rings, and slap it back together.

Unless you wanna get crazy. Everybody wants to get crazy. Just start saying it to yourself now, "While I'm in there, I should just..."

Hyper-eutectic pistons, stock replacement. Basically powdered metal pressed into shape. Cheaper to make than flow-cast and just as strong and a bit lighter. But nowhere near the quality of a forged piece.

So yeah, that thing was refreshed at some point and never run much after that. Which should be good news for you. It might not need a bunch of machine work. Clean it, refresh the bearings and rings, and slap it back together.

Unless you wanna get crazy. Everybody wants to get crazy. Just start saying it to yourself now, "While I'm in there, I should just..."
See?? I should have never taken it apart! I was too darn curious! It only takes a little nudge to go crazy with these things. So I'll go to my wife and say...what's the point of having two stock engines? You will back me up on this, right??

By the way, I took my Nephew to the track and he did pretty good his first time in a GN that sat for 15 years. 14.75 @ 97 1/4 mile. He couldn't get it to shift into 3rd. (My fault since I took off the 9.5 converter, shift kit an transbrake, thinking I would never race again..) Funny story; he was in line next to a proven 9 sec. Car when he rolled down his window and said "I'm 17, I just got my license and this is my first time. You go ahead." You know what that 9 sec. Car did? Didn't want to race him and went ahead. Now THAT'S intimidation! Heh heh!

I'm going to post in the transmission section. Please follow me there!
Art