About to take the axe out!!! Long post

GNR85

Ok I have this on going issue with this friggin HV oil pump (should have just kept the factory gears). I had oil pressure before the engine was rebuilt in my car and installed the HV pump. I installed a HV oil pump into my car tried priming it at least 8 different times doing something different everytime. Yes the cam sensor is engaged, pulled the bottom cover off the pump and had someone bump the car over, the gear spins freely. Someone suggested main bearings (checking those tommorow morning), but I have oil coming out of my turbo oil feed tube, not squirting like it should, but it does flow out and increases with throttle. Also the engine sounds perfect, no noises, no anything, just no oil pressure. This leads me to believe its my oil pump not providing the proper pressure and catching a prime. I used both the gaskets that came with the kit, the yellow spring, cap, shimmed it per directions and packed the heck every friggin hole on the oil pump, still no oil pressure, it won't catch a prime for *#@%. Best I can do is get it to go to 5 psi with slight throttle, then it falls back to 0 and the oil light comes on. I even went as far as to ordering a new thrust plate, notta, still same results. Maybe switch back to GM gears and get rid of the HV gears, plate? I have read as far back as page 49 on oil pressure problems, although some sound like my symptons, the fix is Ok on mine. I now have extra set of HV gears, since I ordered a HV kit with the thrust plate. Melling better hope to god when I mic both sets of gears thier is minimal size difference between the two sets. My only thoughts of what could be wrong are, wrong gaskets with the kit, spacer plate wrong thickness, gears different heights? It seems to me not all HV pumps are created equal, its hit or miss with them from what I've read.

no pressr

Not wantin to be too simple here, but did the engine get hot tanked at rebuild ... can there be an obstruction in the p/u screen, tube or passage in the block, is the p/u tube sealed and sseated tight to the pan rail ? Any junk in the front timcvr passages ? and did you pack the pump gears with vaseline as a prelim to priming? In the pressure spring port in the pump there is a small valve (open ended cylinder that the spring seats into) is it clocked correctly? Is the front cam bearing clocked correctly. What was the clearances on the main and rod journals when ya buttoned up the bottom end ?

It was supposedly hot tanked, it was clean. New G/M pick up screen and gasket torqued to specs. I reused the original GM timing cover, cleaned it and blew it out with compressed air. I did pack the gears with vaseline, every time I primed it. I assume the cylinder is in thier right, the spring is put in so the spring goes up inside of it. Thier are two slots on the cylinder I have them aligned with what looks to be a cut out on the housing. Cam bearings were installed by the shop, I don't recall off hand what the clearances were, but I know they were within the specs in the chiltons manual. I made sure I took the engine to a machine shop who has done a GN engine before and familiar with the specifications. I'm at my wits end and took my time rebuilding this engine and referring to torq specs and reference material from the chiltons manual. I believe the problem lies in the pump. Tommorow when I take the pan off to check the bearings, I will check the oil tube again.

did you reuse your old timing cover? if so did you check the clearances between the gears and the cover? maybe need new timingcover .

keith

You could try removing the bolt in the side of the oil pump bottom plate and make sure the pressure relief valve moves free. I've had the opposite problem, mine has stuck closed and on a cold morning pegged the guage and blown the filter off but I guess it could stick open also. Probably not the problem but it's very easy to check.

Also, I had to trim my felpro front cover gasket because the holes weren't cut in the right spot and it would've blocked off most of the oil flow.

Another long shot, are the plugs in the front oil galleys? If not, I would be surprised you could get even 5psi.

I don't think it's main or rod bearings because you would probably hear some noise if the clearances are so loose that you can only get 5psi when you rev it. I wouldn't start it up anymore until you find the problem.

I did use a fel pro gasket to seal my cover to, I didn't bother to check it. Could this be my problem?
Originally posted by cool 84
You could try removing the bolt in the side of the oil pump bottom plate and make sure the pressure relief valve moves free. I've had the opposite problem, mine has stuck closed and on a cold morning pegged the guage and blown the filter off but I guess it could stick open also. Probably not the problem but it's very easy to check.

Also, I had to trim my felpro front cover gasket because the holes weren't cut in the right spot and it would've blocked off most of the oil flow.

Another long shot, are the plugs in the front oil galleys? If not, I would be surprised you could get even 5psi.

I don't think it's main or rod bearings because you would probably hear some noise if the clearances are so loose that you can only get 5psi when you rev it. I wouldn't start it up anymore until you find the problem.