You can type here any text you want

AC Compressor Replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MCH86GN

Has anyone replaced their ac compressor with a CompressorWorks 620625 ACC274456? Just curious, because mine does not want to seal. The rest of my system has been test and there are no leaks. It came with 3 washer/seals and two additional fittings. I only used the two seals, but they don't seal it. They are the only two that fit with my car. Just wanted to know if anyone has used this compressor and if they have had any luck with it. Thanks. I'm not.

My new 68225 factory air compressor from advance auto also had the 2 washers and the 2 fittings. The instructions were not clear, but my connection on the back of the compressor leaked untill I installed the small fitting inside the main double fitting on the back of the compressor. ( the fitting went inside the opening on the passenger side or right side of the connector ). Im not sure if this is the suction or pressure side. Its been fine for 2 months now.

Did you put the red and green washers in their right positions? or is the bolt bottoming out and not clamping enough?

Did you put the red and green washers in their right positions? or is the bolt bottoming out and not clamping enough?
To revive this thread. I had a mechanic who evacuated the system, put dye and charged it for me in 2014. I bought the UV light and glasses and sure enough it was leaking at the back of the compressor. I've evacuated and removed the compressor again. Originally the compressor came with three seals and two small aluminum pieces. I initially used the red seal in the discharge and the non painted gold seal in the suction. The additional seal that came with it was green. The red and green seal are definitely to be used on the discharge. I'm not sure which one to use. When I put the green seal in discharge and other seal in the suction they appear to be much closer to being level. With the red seal, they aren't level and perhaps that is the reason it doesn't seal.

So if anyone has installed a CompressorWorks ac compressor and can offer any advice I would appreciate it. Also going to ask the mechanics at work? I tried Compressorworks website and didn't find anything.

I think I found my answer here. I put the wrong seal on the suction side, I used the red and it should have been green.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to post advice for anybody who searches.

I recently completely replaced my ac in my 87 GN. I replaced everything except the 2 hard lines and the 2 rubber lines (previous owner recently replaced them). I had a leak at the back of the ac compressor. I bought the OEM replacement compressor AC delco. Turns out the bolt that was holding the lines to the back of the compressor was about 1 or 2mm too long. So when you torqued it down, the bolt bottomed out but the lines were not 100% sealed. I got a slightly shorter bolt and it sealed up perfectly.

Another issue. I had a constant slow leak. I had dye in the system and spent hours with my black light trying to find it. Never could. Eventually i found it by sound as it got worse. It was the switch at the top of the dryer. For some reason the dye was not coming out, but gas was. Maybe the dye/oil has a hard time getting to the top of the dryer? who knows.

Hope this helps somebody someday.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to post advice for anybody who searches.

I recently completely replaced my ac in my 87 GN. I replaced everything except the 2 hard lines and the 2 rubber lines (previous owner recently replaced them). I had a leak at the back of the ac compressor. I bought the OEM replacement compressor AC delco. Turns out the bolt that was holding the lines to the back of the compressor was about 1 or 2mm too long. So when you torqued it down, the bolt bottomed out but the lines were not 100% sealed. I got a slightly shorter bolt and it sealed up perfectly.

Another issue. I had a constant slow leak. I had dye in the system and spent hours with my black light trying to find it. Never could. Eventually i found it by sound as it got worse. It was the switch at the top of the dryer. For some reason the dye was not coming out, but gas was. Maybe the dye/oil has a hard time getting to the top of the dryer? who knows.

Hope this helps somebody someday.
I found this useful. I've spent a few hundred trying to get my ac to quit leaking. I evacuated the system and vacuumed it down and I'll check it here soon and see it is holding the vacuum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I found my answer here. I put the wrong seal on the suction side, I used the red and it should have been green.

TTT

I'm having the same issue..Twice. Once, the leak, then the NEW compressor took a crap. Changed it, put it back together. Leaking again.
I've used a 75psi pressure test for 2 days, and a vac for 2 days... Both held fine.
Charged it, and SOB leaks at the compressor manifold,... Again. New seals each time.
However, I too used the red seal, instead of the green. {The instructions SUCK!}
Just completed the last charge.. Pissin' green dye out of what looks to be the suction side.:mad:

I saved the seals from the first 2 fiascos, and have measured them against a set of new.
New red = .199 thick, green = .271.
1st set of seals Red = .176 used, gold = .134
2nd set " " " = .1795. gold = .145

In looking at the manifold up tight, it appears the suction side, {gold seal}, has a space to the back of the compressor. The pressure side appears to be up tite. IMO, the manifold is on crooked, and the suction side is not being compressed as it should. Going to use a feeler ga, and see what's w/ that.

I see you have a later post, dated May.
"I found this useful. I've spent a few hundred trying to get my ac to quit leaking. I evacuated the system and vacuumed it down and I'll check it here soon and see it is holding the vacuum".

What's the latest? Did the change of seals work?

ALSO: Is there a definitive answer as to which seal to use?
IS anyone using the sleeve that fits in the suction side? I didn't use it, as someone posted that they did, and it was sucked into a new compressor, and trashed the entire system...NOW, That would really piss me off!:vomit: This pos would find a place on the bag!

I'm too damned old to be doing this over and over...However, there's a bright side, fall is here, and the ac won't be needed for a few months!:rolleyes:

I've done two complete systems over the past two years. Mine and the one on my friends UNREALX car. By now I have forgotten what colors on those damn washers but you have to make sure they both stick out of the compressor the same amount. Those other fittings go over one of the lines going into the compressor. Only one is used and it would be the hole that is smaller in the compressor.

I had a set of "reproduction" lines I was going to use on my own GN and no way in hell would they fit over the line. Fit fine on the original so ended up reusing it. Also the "reproduction" lines had a crack in them that leaked anyway! This is the 2nd summer on my system and so far so good, one year on my friends car and that is still cooling fine as well.

I took the evaporators out of both cars too and flushed the crap out of them over and over. Don't even attempt doing it on the car. It has to come out in my opinion! Using R-12 on both systems. I put a vacuum on each individual component as well before I put everything together and of course once everything was assembled.

you have to make sure they both stick out of the compressor the same amount.

Mark, thanks for the input! The light went on, when I read this^^^^:facepalm:
I just came in from the shop, after measuring the overall thickness of the seals installed on another manifold I have.
I found that the red and the gold seals on that manifold were, within a few .001's, the same thickness. .DUH! The compressor is 2 different depth bores!
I also checked the "square" on the manifold vs the comp. Waaay off. The gold seal is visible, nearly 1/2 of it's thickness. The pressure side is tight to the comp.
Now, if someone has a compressor off the car, it would be nice to know what the c bore depths are. {Mine's still on, but won't be tomorrow!}

MAYBE! We can put this can of worms where it belongs......Behind us!

Chuck and Mark,

I Just got my AC system up and running a few weeks ago.
The AC system in my car had never worked since I bought the car.
Not being too sure of what worked and what was krapped out, I decided the best way was to replace all of the AC components (if possible).
I collected a bunch of new parts over the years from Highway Stars.
New AC Delco AC Compressor, Highway Stars Reproduction AC Line Set, new AC Delco Drier / Accumulator, new AC Delco Condenser, switches etc. Since I had some R-12 stashed away went with this. Since I couldn't find a new evaporator, we used an AC flush on this item. Got out 8 oz of burnt brown AC oil in the process.
I followed Glenn's instructions on using the green washer on the Hight Side & Yellow washer on the larger side of the manifold. I received a special aluminum spacer that is to be used only when using a new replacement compressor in combination of the Highway Stars Reproduction Line set. This spacer must be installed in the small (high side) of the manifold (stepped side in and larger side facing the compressor. Tapped it in gently with a wood drift and hammer to seat it. After pressure testing and purging with Nitrogen we filled the components with the proper amount of AC oil and charged with 3 lbs of R-12.
Note: the newer AC delco condenser is an updated Multi Pass design and requires 1/4 lb less charge of refrigerant or could over pressurize (hence 3 lb charge vs the factory recommended 3.25 lb charge).

Blows nice N cold....has been working great for several weeks now with no issues.

dave

Thanks, all!
About to do it 1 more time!
That dye is a BIATCH to get off the hardware! Even the so called cleaner in the ultraviolet kit won't take it off....

TTT

I'm having the same issue..Twice. Once, the leak, then the NEW compressor took a crap. Changed it, put it back together. Leaking again.
I've used a 75psi pressure test for 2 days, and a vac for 2 days... Both held fine.
Charged it, and SOB leaks at the compressor manifold,... Again. New seals each time.
However, I too used the red seal, instead of the green. {The instructions SUCK!}
Just completed the last charge.. Pissin' green dye out of what looks to be the suction side.:mad:

I saved the seals from the first 2 fiascos, and have measured them against a set of new.
New red = .199 thick, green = .271.
1st set of seals Red = .176 used, gold = .134
2nd set " " " = .1795. gold = .145

In looking at the manifold up tight, it appears the suction side, {gold seal}, has a space to the back of the compressor. The pressure side appears to be up tite. IMO, the manifold is on crooked, and the suction side is not being compressed as it should. Going to use a feeler ga, and see what's w/ that.

I see you have a later post, dated May.
"I found this useful. I've spent a few hundred trying to get my ac to quit leaking. I evacuated the system and vacuumed it down and I'll check it here soon and see it is holding the vacuum".

What's the latest? Did the change of seals work?

ALSO: Is there a definitive answer as to which seal to use?
IS anyone using the sleeve that fits in the suction side? I didn't use it, as someone posted that they did, and it was sucked into a new compressor, and trashed the entire system...NOW, That would really piss me off!:vomit: This pos would find a place on the bag!

I'm too damned old to be doing this over and over...However, there's a bright side, fall is here, and the ac won't be needed for a few months!:rolleyes:

Chuck I vacuumed mine down and tightened the manifold bolt so tight that Dave R. had to struggle a bit to break it loose. Anyway, it was necessary to remove the manifold fromt eh compressor when putting the everything back together. Dave was nice enough to charge my AC for me and I'm using the green seal. Since then I have ran the AC for about 100 miles of driving. Tonight I will check with my UV light and glasses to see if the green oil is leaking all over the place again.

Chuck and Mark,

I Just got my AC system up and running a few weeks ago.
The AC system in my car had never worked since I bought the car.
Not being too sure of what worked and what was krapped out, I decided the best way was to replace all of the AC components (if possible).
I collected a bunch of new parts over the years from Highway Stars.
New AC Delco AC Compressor, Highway Stars Reproduction AC Line Set, new AC Delco Drier / Accumulator, new AC Delco Condenser, switches etc. Since I had some R-12 stashed away went with this. Since I couldn't find a new evaporator, we used an AC flush on this item. Got out 8 oz of burnt brown AC oil in the process.
I followed Glenn's instructions on using the green washer on the Hight Side & Yellow washer on the larger side of the manifold. I received a special aluminum spacer that is to be used only when using a new replacement compressor in combination of the Highway Stars Reproduction Line set. This spacer must be installed in the small (high side) of the manifold (stepped side in and larger side facing the compressor. Tapped it in gently with a wood drift and hammer to seat it. After pressure testing and purging with Nitrogen we filled the components with the proper amount of AC oil and charged with 3 lbs of R-12.
Note: the newer AC delco condenser is an updated Multi Pass design and requires 1/4 lb less charge of refrigerant or could over pressurize (hence 3 lb charge vs the factory recommended 3.25 lb charge).

Blows nice N cold....has been working great for several weeks now with no issues.

dave

I have the stock lines, so hopefully I don't need the aluminum spacer. However, I used the green washer and yellow washer. Tonight I shall if it is leaking.

Last edited:
Mine's now charged to about 35# low side, 180# hi side. 86* ambient, fan on the condenser.
We used the ambient x 2, + 15* for the hi side target.
Used 2 1/3 cans to get to these numbers.
We did the math w/ the original specs of 3.25# of R12. 12oz cans came to 3.4 cans, using a 90% of R12 calc. Had we added that 3rd can, the psi would have been way too hi.
Will drive it for a while, and see what the psi's are.
So far, no green crap oozing out!:nailbiting:

That aluminum insert piece is supposedly required but only on the high pressure side. Has to do with the replacement compressor, not the lines themselves. I for the life of me couldn't get them to press onto the repro lines and had to buy another washer kit to get the damn things. Luckily or unluckily I found the repro lines had a crack in them and ended up reusing my original lines. Under 38,000 miles and they held a vacuum separately so was confident that they would be fine. Repro vendor refunded my money and said not to bother returning them. Ended up tying them into a pretzel and threw them out for all the aggravation they caused me.

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 310
  • ac2.jpg
    ac2.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Sorry to hear Mark. My Repro AC line set from Highway Stars was perfect, with no cracks (I did check after reading your post).
Holds the AC charge with no issues. I used a wood drift to hammer that sucker into the small (high side line) of the AC manifold. Went in without too much of a fight!

That aluminum insert piece is supposedly required but only on the high pressure side. Has to do with the replacement compressor, not the lines themselves. I for the life of me couldn't get them to press onto the repro lines and had to buy another washer kit to get the damn things. Luckily or unluckily I found the repro lines had a crack in them and ended up reusing my original lines. Under 38,000 miles and they held a vacuum separately so was confident that they would be fine. Repro vendor refunded my money and said not to bother returning them. Ended up tying them into a pretzel and threw them out for all the aggravation they caused me.
Ok, I got it. I didn't get a chance to check last night to see mine was leaking. If it is, I now have a better understanding of how to fix it.

You only need to use the special aluminum insert in your Highway Stars Replacement AC line set (in the smaller Hi side of the manifold on the line set) if you are also replacing the compressor with a newer style washer compressor like the replacement AC delco compressor Highway stars sell....I would imagine a new 4 seasons compressor would also require this insert in the line set.

If you retain the stock factory Harrison R4 AC compressor, you do not need this insert , regardless if you also purchase the replacement Highway Stars line set or keep your original factory line set.
Be sue to use the green washer on the Hi side (same side as the aluminum insert) and the yellow washer on the low side (larger side of the manifold.
Here's some information directly from their website:
Hope it helps to clarify the issue.

http://www.highwaystars.net/ac-inse...nd-a-newer-style-washer-seal-type-compressor/
http://www.highwaystars.net/ac-compressor-hoses-black-powdercoated-gm-25525272/
http://www.highwaystars.net/ac-compressor-acdelco/

You only need to use the special aluminum insert in your Highway Stars Replacement AC line set (in the smaller Hi side of the manifold on the line set) if you are also replacing the compressor with a newer style washer compressor like the replacement AC delco compressor Highway stars sell....I would imagine a new 4 seasons compressor would also require this insert in the line set.

If you retain the stock factory Harrison R4 AC compressor, you do not need this insert , regardless if you also purchase the replacement Highway Stars line set or keep your original factory line set.
Be sue to use the green washer on the Hi side (same side as the aluminum insert) and the yellow washer on the low side (larger side of the manifold.
Here's some information directly from their website:
Hope it helps to clarify the issue.

http://www.highwaystars.net/ac-inse...nd-a-newer-style-washer-seal-type-compressor/
http://www.highwaystars.net/ac-compressor-hoses-black-powdercoated-gm-25525272/
http://www.highwaystars.net/ac-compressor-acdelco/

Thanks for the information. I bought a compressor from Autozone and it has the same aluminum insert, it's a Compressor Works compressor. However, it didn't appear that the aluminum insert fit. However, I tried placing it on the stock lines and not in the compressor.

Back