You can type here any text you want

After engine break in, get to 20

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jim0207

INVNO1
All new 3.8. Trusted builder. How much would you increase boost each time to reach 20 LBS. Standard waste gate. FYI, Running 30w with ZDDP only have 63 miles, need 300 total. Live in Maryland, all the roads have salt. April will be a time to bring it back out.

Depends on you!
I go in increments of 2psi at a time but that's me.

I have'nt had the chance to WOT yet. I only have 63 miles on the engine. After 300 miles I will begin the increase.

Brake in periods are a crock of chit. The only thing that would need break in is is a flat tappet cam. That is done the first time you fire the motor. After that it's ready to rock.

At 63 miles....................Drive it like you STOLE it!! If the engine was assembled correctly, there is absolutely NO reason to drive it like a school bus. Afterr a flat tappet cam 20 min. 2,000 rpm break-in period, drain oil, cut filter apart to check for debris, fill oil, new filter, and let it warm up and them go to the track. It's ready. I have NEVER had a problem doing this building engines for over 30 years.

on my roller cammed 3.8, ide warm it up and let it sit for about30 till it was fully warm making sure the oil pressure was all good.... then id go pin it to the floor a dozen times to seat the rings. come home, change oil and do it again

Agreed. My buddy Ray and I have built several turbo engines (Dodge mind you) and we break them in hard. Heck, we set the rings in his Spirit R/T at 17psi.

I still need to get a ride in that thing at 25 psi though . . .

Precision Building

One of these days we'll all learn.

As previously mentioned if you are comfortable with your fuel system, pin it!

This is a quote from Bobby at RPE

"The only real break in required is to give it some slight boost hits as soon as the engine is warmed up. You have to be aware that the the rings arent fully seated until it gets some boost hits on it"

NAIL IT!!!!!!!! (if you trust your engine builder)

Bryan

Back