You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket headers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Are aftermarket headers the end all solution to the cracked factory headers ? Or do they have draw backs too ? Im on my 4th turbo buick and im tired of dealing with cracked headers, hate to buy a new set but i plan on keeping this car for a while so if this will solve it im on board. Who do you guys recommend for a sett ?

I have Poston's stock style replacement headers. Guess what? They cracked on the drivers side just like the stock ones did. I've had to weld them twice but the last time has held up for a good while. I've heard of people adding gussets to the stock ones to cure the crack problem. Just haven't tried that on mine...yet.

I can't comment on the TA style or any of the others although I do have one friend who was very happy with a set of e-bay Chinese headers.

JMO but I'd say run the stockers unless your gonna get real serious about racing the car. My DS header was cracked just like they all do in the 3-5 location. I had it professionally welded and a gusset added for added support. Then took it and had the flange machined laser straight. 7 years now without issue and no flange gasket just like factory.

Mine cracked in '93, had it welded and 24 years it is still good.

If not wanting to do alot of racing, the stockers are fine and have them welded up with the gusset. Alot of folks though still use the stocker and race and put down very good times. I had a set of KB stainless headers for about 22 years, didn't know better when I got them, but no issues, switched to TA stainless headers with the new build since the KB would make the plugs difficult to get to on the GN1 heads..they are a very nicely built set, super thick flanges, but they are $$.

Bought the TA performance as well for the new build ,perfect fit never worry about header problems again.$774.00 little pricey but worth it.

I might be selling a set of original ATR headers . Arguably the best headers for these cars

If your stockers are in decent shape, have them welded up and jet coated.

If you do end up buying new, get the TA perf stock style. The crossover joints are more user friendly and they are a lot cheaper than the race headers..

Back