You can type here any text you want

Air bubbles in overflow

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOTIMMER

Got my wh1 on the road last week. Basically, I slammed a mystery motor and trans in the car I really knew no history about. The motor is quiet, and it runs cool (about 165-170) around town. After I shut it off, I can see air bubbles in the overflow jug and it is now almost completely full of coolant. I know it probably needs a radiator cap minimum, but the air bubbles maybe a sign of something else. Any advice is appreciated. I never did a compression check before the install. This was a temporary drivetrain to get the car on the road, but I was hoping it would last a little while.

Sorry to say, head gaskets, at least it was for me...

Did you re-torque the heads first?

If not, try that.

Most head gasket issues I have seen are do to in-sufficient torque on the head bolts or studs.

This should be a routine item like an oil change on any rebuilt street or strip engine.

With a little grinding on the headers in some places for access with a socket, this will help simplify the process.

Now you know what the mystery was...

That's what I was thinking too. Oh well, not the end of the world
Did you re-torque the heads first?

If not, try that.

Most head gasket issues I have seen are do to in-sufficient torque on the head bolts or studs.

This should be a routine item like an oil change on any rebuilt street or strip engine.

With a little grinding on the headers in some places for access with a socket, this will help simplify the process.

No I didn't. Pulled it out of a rusty 87 T, put plugs in it and got it running. Based on what a local friend of mine told me about the history of the rusty car, the motor was a Jasper reman from back in the 90s. I prob should have checked it out better before I put it in, but that was the chance I took. Car actually runs good. I've got another healthy shortblock on standby.

You could use an exhaust gas tester to confirm the head gasket.

Back