Air to water intercooler vs air to air

Steve:

Liquids are cool set ups and can do some crazy stuff. My Buddy Roger was seeing some insanely low mats at the end of 150+ mph runs in his metro. If I remember correctly his Mats where in the low 40 degree range at the end of the track over in Indy in june. He has alot less money in this set up than what a decent custom air to air would have cost him and it wouldn't have worked anything like his liquid. Roger went the liquid route because I got him curious about them with the set up I had in my TTA and the fact that he didnt have much room in the metro. Liquids really shine when you're looking for two things:
Hardcore intercooling and something that fits in a small place.

When you need someting that fits those two descriptions a liquid is the only way to go. You don't seam to be stuck in that catagory, but you seam interested in the liquids. I have run stock, stretches, front mounts, and liquids. I have opinoins i've made on all of all of them and I have concluded that liquids are my favorite. There are a few more hoops to jump through when setting them up and maintaining them but I think they are neat and I like the way they perform, to me this made the hoop jumping seam worth while.

A few statements can be made about liquids, they can be set up to:
1. work good on the street
2. work good at the track
3. work good at both
4. be reasonably priced, or cost a small fortune

Garret has new cores out that are rated very high. Thier BIG liquid core is rated for a "nominal" not a maximum but a nominal HP level of 1000hp! This core cost around $325 and is approx half the size of a stock air/air! I tried to talk Roger into using one of these cores to build his liquid but he found a different company that made cores and he got a core thats about half again bigger than the Garrett and I think his core was around $50 cheaper. I was worried it wouldn't be a good quality one and would possibly be a waste of money. After seeing his datalogs I would feel 100% confident buying one of these cores. This was not one of those Ebay liquids, I could get the company name for you and I believe they have a web site. I know nothing about the Ebay liquids other than they have real similar demensions to the one Spearco model. I would like to see if the Ebay unit uses a true liquid core. You can tell a true liquid core at a quick glance. Liquids have a tighter spacing; air to airs have like 1/2" hot air row and a 1/2" cool air row ect ect, liquids have a 1/2" hot air row and a 1/4" or less liquid row ect ect. So inside an end tank an air to air looks about 50% hot air flow path and 50% blocked off, where a liquid looks about 75% hot air flow path and 25% blocked off. I believe this is why a liquid has a very small pressure drop accross it for its size, infact liquids have very small pressure drops accoss them even when compared to big air to air units that look like they would out flow the liquid hands down.

Now if we go back and look at what Roger's motor is you will see that its in the range of what alot of TSM motors would be. Its a slightly bored 3.8 with a stock stroke crank, GN-1 heads, 220/220 roller, ported stock intake, and a GTQ 71 turbo. We went through some density ratio calculations and on his motor around 25# of boost shifting at 6500 there was approx 150 cfm more air going through the motor with a mat temp of 40 as compared to 110. As a rule of thumb this 150cfm should represent about 100hp. The part thats so cool about a liquid intercooler is that it will allow you to make more HP and be safer doing it. Thats the part every one seams to overlook. Low MATS really help eliminate detonation and this applies to all fuels wether its pump gas or race fuel. Safe horse power always catches my attention, at least enough to do a little research.

So do a little more research on them and see what you conclude. Just remember to keep in mind your exact plans with your car and don't worry too much about what other people are trying to do with thiers. Set your car up in such a way thats its interesting or neat to you. I like ball bearing turbos and liquid intercoolers, and people love to tell me I'm waisting my money. My opinion is that this is my hobby and I mess with the stuff that makes it interesting to me and thats the bottom line.

Good luck with your project, if you have any specific questions email me or pm me.

Jason

Razor. You don't feel you're getting any evaporative cooling messing with your MAT reading?

The reading is the reading. Maybe it is,maybe it isnt. The motor doesnt pickup any detonation, is making power, and not complaining.

I have no way of seeing what goes on inside an engine. And one thing for sure, the top of intake pipes, plenums, TB, etc are very cool to the touch.

Using the nitrous on the dyno you would see the up-pipe fog up externally past the nitrous nozzle.

While not for everybody, data is data.

+1 not using a cheap W-A core if you choose that route. You get what you pay for.. always do.

Jason, thanks for the reply and the info. I would be interested getting the name of the intercooler core you buddy used. Thanks

Steve

Nice post and very good info, Jason. I know exactly what you mean about making the car your own. It's a very important venture for some. For others, a lifes dream. When I first started telling people I was going to burn methanol, everyone was discouraging me from doing it. People walked away and didn't want to hear a thing about it. When they learned I was intercooling (liquid/air to boot) with methanol, they discouraged me. "No one else intercools with methanol", is what they said. The same went for the nitrous. "Man you're just building a bomb. People have already tried it and blew stuff up." Or, "It won't work. The nitrous and the alcohol together will be too cold and won't fire." "The cam you're using is too large." "Your heads are too small". "Talk to Kenny. He'll straighten you out". I have nothing against Kenny. In fact, I admire him greatly. But, he's a busy man and I know what it's like to have people calling all the time asking questions and not buying. He can't make a living talking on the phone all the time. And, I can read, observe and learn on my own anyway. I figured it out. Some people would like you to follow a mold. Do what everyone else is doing. I understand how they feel. You gain a little pride when another person has done like you. If you're a follower, then that would be the easiest way to fit in and make friends. If you're a leader, you'll end up with a car that you can be proud of, because you did the research, the assembly and tuning. It's a good feeling when it ends up performing beyond your wildest dreams. The thing is, that because you took your own path, you may not end up with too many friends. It's a sad truth about human nature. Some people will be your friends if only you stay at their level.

Do your own thing. It is very, very, very rewarden.

Whatever you do.. dont do something that will imobilize the vehicle for years.. that is the easiest way to lose encouragement.

Personally, if I can find a straight path to my goal.. and get to race the car frequently..I dont care what it runs.. but rather that its running. And experimenting costs time and $$$$. So better have the resources.

And Don.. I understand what your saying about being different, hell its been an uphill battle for me with injection. I still get the nay sayers, the guys that had issues with cobbled up systems, the stories from back in 1998, etc.. Cant tell you how many times a day I hear "Windshield Washer Fluid". Today was light, only ~ a dozen times.

Some company should have the motto.. we made "Windshield Washer Fluid Famous".. cuase thats what they did. Dont want to mention any names.

Peace.. good luck with your projects..