You can type here any text you want

Alky?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm having a hard time trying to find denatured alky here was wondering if anyone uses ethyl alky in there cars?

Denatured alky is ethanol (ethyl alcohol) with the denaturing elements in it. If you can find reasonably priced ethanol you can use it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Home Depot has it here and so did ACE Hardware but both places are $$$$$$$.

ks

I tryed home depo and paint supply stores but its very hard to find in Canada I did find ethyl in a drug store

Many of us use ethyl alky in the form of E85. E85 is loosely 85% ethanol (ethyl alcohol, grain alcohol), 15% gasoline, plus a little bit of "denaturing" additive to keep people from drinking it. Note that Ethyl alcohol is in the stuff you drink to get drunk; this is why it is "denatured" or made to be "unable to be consumed". Try hobby shops for denatured ethyl; they sometimes carry it for fuel for model cars and airplanes.

Methanol (methyl alcohol, wood alcohol) on the other hand is something totally different. If you're looking for something to put in your alky injection reservoir, then look towards methanol. I think that's what most of the guys on here use for their alky injection systems.

What about Captain PHAB Marine Alcohol. Is it still available in Canada at Marine stores? Not sure if it's the same but I think it's very similar???

20100501_captphab_detail.jpg

I THINK methyl hydrate = methanol, but my memory of organic chemistry is pretty foggy:confused:. Maybe later this evening one of our many alky users will chime in here and clear things up. If all else fails, call Julio @ Alkycontrol; I guarantee he'll be able to tell you.

I think captin Phab I can get around here but not sure if its the same I herd methyl hydrate could be used but I'm not sure

Which alky kit are you running?

I couldn't find denatured at a decent price in Edmonton so I have been using Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol from Walmart the 99% was around $3.00 for a half litre bottle.

I'm using methyl Hydrate 99%, I can get a gallon of it for 9$ at home depot, it's basically wood alcohol. I have an older SMC kit, I use an ounce of marvel mystery oil in the gallon. I have been running it this way for 7 years and no issues, no knock at 22 psi with 94 Octane fuel.

17084.13-394_4.jpg

I tryed home depo and paint supply stores but its very hard to find in Canada I did find ethyl in a drug store

I didn't realize you were in Canada, so am I. You can also go to parts source, they sell the 4L jug there too. Methyl Hydrate. Methyl Hydrate is methanol.

I just have aem progressive kit. Do you dilute that or run it straight?
I am running it straight with a shot of Klotz lube for lubrication, I have also used methyl hydrate in a pinch. It is cheaper and easy to find but it is supposed to be hard on the Pump which is immersed in the tank of alcohol.

Back