You can type here any text you want

Alternative to Frame notch

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

aquickv6

I spoke with a reputable chassis shop today about a frame notch for the GN. He recommended an alternate method where they flatten the frame in the area that would be notched. They claim to have done many full frame cars this way, no cutting and welding, but same end result. He said the end appearance is much better and full strength is retained. Has anyone else done this? This kind of caught me off gaurd and I have never heard of this option.
Thanks

Originally posted by aquickv6
I spoke with a reputable chassis shop today about a frame notch for the GN. He recommended an alternate method where they flatten the frame in the area that would be notched. They claim to have done many full frame cars this way, no cutting and welding, but same end result. He said the end appearance is much better and full strength is retained. Has anyone else done this? This kind of caught me off gaurd and I have never heard of this option.
Thanks

Reach up inside the rear wheel well, and you can feel the frame sticks out ~1/4" from the inner sheet metal. If all you need is a 1/4", that'll be fine, otherwise you still need to hack out the inner fender well. If your going to hac on the inner sheet metal, might as well go for all you can get. It's all alot of work for an inch or so. But, do that and trim the fender inner lip, and that makes for 1.5", and with no rub problems you can stuff some pretty big tires up there.

http://home.woh.rr.com/brucesgn/minitubs/

IMO, the thing to do while doing all that is adding coil overs. IMO, they really improve the ride, and make getting the rear ride height right, without having to worry about *cut* springs falling out.

Sorry to change the topic, but Bruce, what rear disk setup is that. Looks good.

Thanks
Kevin

Originally posted by KevinB
Sorry to change the topic, but Bruce, what rear disk setup is that. Looks good.

Thanks
Kevin

It's the PST setup.
I've got a 02 F Body rear setup coming, I can't wait to get that on.
I've got the 02 fronts, and the car is just soo much more fun to drive.

Is this an acceptable method to the frame notch? They actually message the inner fender at the same time to gain as much clearance possible without the mini tub. It will fit 325/50/15 on a 10" rim. Anyone else done this?

Originally posted by aquickv6
Is this an acceptable method to the frame notch? They actually message the inner fender at the same time to gain as much clearance possible without the mini tub. It will fit 325/50/15 on a 10" rim. Anyone else done this?

Acceptable?, sure, for at least the short term. BTW, how do they stress relieve all that metal when they're done?. How do they make sure they don't crystalise the metal from all that hammering?. If they cold hammer things, I'd expect to see stress cracks in the future. If they use a torch, then once you have the interior out, so it doesn't catch fire, it's not that much more work to go ahead and mini tub it. If they don't remove some of the interior, how are they going to undercoat/ paint, where they burn off off the paint/ existing undercoat?.

COIL OVERS

Hey Bruce, what weight spring are you using on those coil overs. thanks Jeff ps I am going with 18-10", frame notching. mini tubed , coil over, 14" drilled and slotted dics,and Wilwood 6 piston calipers. thanks for your pics:cool: Jeff

Back