You can type here any text you want

Alternator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BenPutnam

My alternator seems to lose voltage with higher RPM, it starts out around 13.9 but as the RPM rises it drops to 13-13.1. I don't have a big stereo or anything but I think my low voltage is causing my ignition to cut out under high boost.

...So I'm in the market for a new alternator, any suggestions? I thought I saw a mini alternator somewhere.

The only mini one i know of is the MSD, and its 300 plus.

Perhaps a rebuild would do it some good, i thought the parts were cheap?
BW

Where are you reading the voltage at?

Possible weak battery cables, loose bulk head at fuse panel, ect

Id put a meter on the alt, if your checking the scanmaster at WOT, its common that the voltage reading inside the car with the scanmaster is less than whats at the alt, battery/
Put a meter on the alt and make a pass, if its fairly new, im sure the interior voltage is dropping, possible other issue...
CABLES, CONNECTIONS, ECT

BW:)

Guilty...checking it at the Scanmaster...All my cables look new but I've seen my voltage light flicker every now and then, I'll look them over.

13.1 is not really low. At least not low enough to cause ignition problems. If you get a good voltage reabing when you check under the hood with a meter, I would look elsewhere for the cutting out problem.

When's the last time you changed the belt? Could be slipping and not making any noise..

I've looked everywhere I can think of for the cutting out problem I don't know what to try other than the ignition:

If I get over 15 lbs of boost it acts up, cracks, pops, and misses.
I replaced the cam and crank sensors.
It's getting plenty of fuel, I checked pressure and O2 reading.
I replaced the coil packs, wires and the plugs twice.

Ignition module...or battery cable grounding out somewheres (Downpipe, Header ETC)

My buck is on the ign module though...no one has one you can try?

My alternator seems to lose voltage with higher RPM, it starts out around 13.9 but as the RPM rises it drops to 13-13.1. I don't have a big stereo or anything but I think my low voltage is causing my ignition to cut out under high boost.

...So I'm in the market for a new alternator, any suggestions? I thought I saw a mini alternator somewhere.

They have good alternators at the link below. :)

TurboBuicks.com Store: Grand National Hardware

I use the 220AMP Mini-Alternator with the Internal Fan. Looks and works great, plus its lighter. I like the newer style also.

New Ignition Module

Ignition module...or battery cable grounding out somewheres (Downpipe, Header ETC)

My buck is on the ign module though...no one has one you can try?

I'll just buy one, where is the best place to get one? Do the ones from my local auto parts place work fine? I saw casper has one.

Your local parts stores will have them, but guaranteed they will not work as well as an AC-Delco...don't know how soon you need it but I know Glen at
*********** definitely has them and can get them for you quick...DO NOT try the Autozone/Napa brands/Advance Auto Brands (unless they can get you an A/C Delco) they fail after a short time period apparently.....
Good luck.....

Wow a good guy and one that supplies us with good service, excellent parts that actually work, don't price gouge us...and we can't even mention his name on the website, because he is not a supporting vendor...:confused: (in other words he doesn't pay??)
Nice.....
:rolleyes:

I had the same problem once. I had a bad ECM.....make sure you get one from GM no aftermarkets will do the trick....I replaced my ECM no more snap crackle and pop for me.

voltage seems ok. you may want to have it tested before you throw money at a new one. i bought the one Kirban sells and im very pleased. you can have other issues with those symptoms. i would definetly check all of your ground wires also.

Back