You can type here any text you want

Alternators, whats too many AMP's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

robertf

So I have a Powermaster 140 amp alternator. I'm having no issues but I do still feel the "slightest" of surge when the rad fans kick on when running the AC. I've seen 160 and 200 amp units offered but don't want to create issues down the road. I do remember reading the 200 amp really needs a bigger gauge wire ran to the battery which is no problem. I'm really looking for feedback from actual users of 160/200 amp units.
Thanks for any input.

Good to know Chuck. Powermasters are pricey, I know mine was. Was not wanting to do it again.

If you have dual fans.... Caspers makes a fan delay module that delays the second fan 3/4 of a second to help with the locked rotor current draw when the fans kick on.

Last edited:
kirban 2 cents worth

Richard Clark has tested our alternators the most you can get out of a stock housing is 200 amps and yes you gotta run a thicker gauge wire to the battery....we sell about 1 of the 200 amp for every 2 of the 120 units... ours looks exactly like factory with warranty 100% brand new. guy I use has been a personal friend for over 30 years one man operation about 15 mins from my shop.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you have dual fans.... Caspers makes a fan delay module that delays thesecond fan 3/4 if a second to help with the locked rotor current draw when the fans kick on.
I appreciate that. Will look into it tomorrow.

After 30 years that charge lead is probably pretty tired anyway. I've been meaning to build myself a new upgraded cable for a while now, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

With the question to amps, there's never too many (not that it's possible). The amount of amps an alternator puts out is exactly what the car will ask it for (once the battery is charged after cranking). You could have a 1 million amp unit but it the car's only needing 50, it's going to put out 50.

In real world use, it's the gauge and length of the charge wire to the battery. When you add internal resistance due to corrosion that's the limiting factor. Once you exceed that, you're maxed out and making waste heat.

Running a Chrome PM 200 Amp with no issues. And yeah they are high dollar and don't want to buy another one.

Back