ALUMINUM core support Q- doesnt look hard to do

Quick6'n'-K.C.

wana steal it? meet mr9mm
Staff member
i purchased a early 80's regal core support about 4 months ago from a board member, and it looks VERY close to the stock steel one-
the only real differences that i can see is area where:

1. the headlight wires go thru is smaller{ but the headlights are still 2 inches away}
2. the hood latch cable mount is a plastic i-let instead of the metal tab on the stock steel
3. it needs 2 holes drilled to mount the header panel 3 1/2 inch long bolts to the core support

i have a spare header panel, and both core supports laying on the floor just checking things out before i decide to tear into the car and do the install-
ALL holes look to be the same, except where the radiator rubber mounts go at the bottom of the core support- but its getting a aftermarket radiator, so it needs to be altered anyways-

so, the moral of this story is that i cant believe there isnt a huge difference between the 2.. my aluminum core support does not have the A stamped on the passenger side top portion-

i also WEIGHED BOTH core supports-

the ALUMINUM ONE weighs in at 13.0 LBS
and the STEEL core support weighs in at 30.0 LBS

thats alot of work for just 17LBS off the front, but i guess every little bit makes a huge difference in the long run-

I put a aluminum support on mine, drilled new holes for the lower header panel studs, made spacers for the plastic inner fenders , slotted some bolt holes on the side and was done.

:D

Quick6'n'-K.C.

I've had two different types, both with 'A' on them, not that it's important. The holes behind the headlights on one were simular to stock only smaller, the other they were square and smaller.

I think you have touched on most of what I found on the install, although I did find that the aluminum one was not quite as large in hight which may effect your body/frame spacers on the front.
I also had to drill new holes for the, I'm not sure what you call it, the bolt that comes off the back of the head light buckets.

:cool:

Did anyone have a problem with the battery holddown? I may start this project today and I noticed that there's not as much metal on the aluminum support. Do I need to move the hole over toward the hood support bolt or do most people that use these have the battery in the trunk?
Thanks
Randy

Mike Gallagher -

so your saying that you had to shim up the core support where the body bushings, and bolts go thru the frame?

those header panel studs are the only ones i saw that i need to drill for install-

Hey Quick6'n'-K.C. on my core support install i even removed some shims to install the aluminum support , L8R V8R i also couldn't put the battery hold down
i remember somebody welding a small bracket to the core support to remedy this.

Quick6'n'K.C.

I found that this area was not large as the steel support, from the top of the support to the base where the frame/body bushing bolts, overall it was the same in the radiator area and legnth. I also had to drill a hole at each end of the support just below the original ones to align with the fenders. This posed a little problem as the new hole was half on half off the thickened material. I just used some scrap aluminum to make a shim and another peice to lap over both to gain structural integrity.

As far as the shims at the body bushings, I had two in there on each side, but I replaced all the body bushings at the same time with poly bushings which were larger than the stock ones. I have my car up on stands still and decided not to jack with adjusting shims on these two until I had it back on all fours, things can get out of align at your seams. It seems as though my car had been in a minor fender bender and had some shaby work done out of site if you know what I mean.

petesgn....

I'm sure you know that the batteries where on the driver side in the cars that came equiped with the aluminum support and the had no allowance for the battery hold down on the passenger side. As of now I'm with you, mine is still on stands for other items and my battery tie down is on the bench, let's hear about it if you find a solution. I did install mine in an existing hole but was not happy with the results.

:cool:

I just bought an aluminum support for my 87. It seems like the distance from the point where the core support bushings go and the top of the support where it bolts to the fenders is about 3/4" longer than my factory one I'm going to search for a shorter bushing to keep the front fenders in alignment. Much lighter !!! My street car is now weighing in at 3004 using longacre scales.
I KNOW.... Its not heavy enough to run class with. Its just a fun test and tune car.
See Ya ! Steve

I'm sure you know that the batteries where on the driver side in the cars that came equiped with the aluminum support and the had no allowance for the battery hold down on the passenger side.

Not true. The type of engine determined what side the battery went on. Buick V-6 and SBC/Chevy V-6 on the passenger side. Olds and Pontiac on the drivers. But the big reason you have a problem with the stock battery hold down is that all 78-80 G-Bodies used a battery tray to mount the battery. Take a look under the hood of a MC/Malibu/ElCamino to see what I'm talking about. There aren't enough mounting points to use the tray on a Regal. I fabricated a brace to use the existing hold down. It passes tech at the race track anyway.

I was probably the very first person on the face of the Earth to swap in an aluminum radiator support. I did my first swap back around 79 or 80 on my 79 ElCamino. I can tell you I've seen a least 4 variations of it. Not all have the "A" stamped into it. Otherwise the information already posted is pretty accurate on how to install on a 81-88 G-Body Coupe.;)

Not true. The type of engine determined what side the battery went on. Buick V-6 and SBC/Chevy V-6 on the passenger side. Olds and Pontiac on the drivers.

I didn't know that......
Just goes to show you learn something new everyday.

Aluminum core supports can only be found on 78-80 G-Bodies. The exception is that Chevrolet never used it. Only Buick,Olds and Pontiac.