Aluminum radiator support -what cars have it ?

PNYKLR

Howdy all I know they are few and far between, but what specific cars had the aluminum rad support that fits 81-87 Regals
theres on on ebay but its from a 78 or 79 Regal I think
How would I tell if a specific car had it?? Is there an RPO code or option that it came with?

Those are the ones. Save about 13-15 lbs. Also came on some Grand prixs, Centurys from those years....80 also. Even found one on a Lemans. They will bolt in the 81 thru 87 Regals. Not many left to be found. How much are they going for? I sold about 10 over the last couple years for $175-$200 & shipping.

Ok so what is the determining factor, I just dont want to go yank one out of a car and that not be it that would really suck!!!

Dumb question does the magnet stick to it or not??
Is there any other way to tell like special markings or anything or a certain motor that they come in?

No a magnet will not stick to aluminum. Easy why to tell if its aluminum, on the passenger side is a letter A stamped on it, aluminum doesn't rust and the spot welds are done by the MIG process. Eric Fisher

That's right. It's all aluminum and of course, a magnet will not stick to it. However, all of them don't have the "A" stamped on them. If you're looking for one, you'll know one when you see it. They look different........cleaner. Why? No rust spots on them. Not many around anymore. Good luck!

The thing I look for is the clip that holds the hood release cable. On a steel support, the clip is just a tab bent from the same steel. On the aluminum support it will have a plastic tab.

So does anyone have an entire list of where to get one of these?

Does anyone have a list on how to get one of these. Also on GM cars, what letter/number iin the VIN code is the model year.

Scott

Scott, the list is very short.
78-80 Regal-Century
78-80 Cutlass
78-80 Grand Prix-Lemans
Chevrolet did not install on any of their models.
As far as 71-79 VINS go the 6th character is the year(i.e. 8=1978) on 1980 and newer federal law mandated all manufacturers use a 17 digit format with the 10th character being the year. For example the letter A is used to designate 1980 and B=81 etc. There is no letter O or Q so the year is bumped to the next letter i.e. N=92 P=93 etc with it ending with Y=2000 and again starting with numbers 1=2001 etc.
Eric Fisher

these must really be hard to find because i have yet to find any in the bone yards around chicago. but if i do find one about how much do the bone yards charge for one?

If you don't carry a full compliment of tools when you go to the junkyard, that's your fault. I lecture people when they want to borrow a tool. Some of them aren't smart enough to bring back your tool. Imagine, people in a "U pull it" yard without a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Main problem you may encounter is the frame bushing bolts that hold the core to the frame. Those rusted bolts can be a problem. Make sure you have a rust penetrant. Another problem, is a rusted battery tray. Bolt heads may be no longer capable of accepting a socket. Always bring a big hammer and a sharp chisel. Everything else is a lot of 10mm bolts I get with a quarter inch drive ratchet, extension, and socket.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
If you don't carry a full compliment of tools when you go to the junkyard, that's your fault. I lecture people when they want to borrow a tool. Some of them aren't smart enough to bring back your tool. Imagine, people in a "U pull it" yard without a screwdriver. :rolleyes:

Geez a simple question. Thanks dad for the lecture. Someone got issues? Personally, not everyone can carry every tool they own and carry other parts. Some of us like to make a quick run. (Me) If you were to give me a lecture when I asked you to borrow a tool, you wouldnt have gotten a friendly reply. I would have considered you an unfriendly @$$hole. Just my 2 cents. Guess you dont like to help people. Me on the otherhand am happy to lend a hand to anyone as I in turn can use the same.:rolleyes:

I was trying to be helpful, but I guess you take offence when people give you advice. :rolleyes:

When I have to loan simple tools to people in the junkyard, I think, "NOT TOO SMART!" :p