And so it begins!! started the teardown today.....

And heres a few more that show how much space is still left between the engine and core support, theres alot more than I expected!

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 037.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 037.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 353
  • Grand National LSX Swap 038.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 038.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Grand National LSX Swap 039.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 039.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 352
Hey guys, Progress has been slow, Econemy sucks so im gunshy with spending money......But....I got the turbo today so I can commence on the building headers!! Heres some pictures of the new turbo.

The old turbo on the left it a Precision PT71GTQ and the new one on the right is a Precision PT101, its a G-trim 1.32ar. and is massive. With the airflow requirments on a 7.0 Litre LSX it seemed fitting to add sufficent hairdryer to never have to worry about that again....so:eek:

Got the accessory drive done on the engine so I know what space I have to work with and where its all goint to fit!

And on the bottom is the fixins for the headers.....that is gonna be so un-fun:wink:

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 041.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 041.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 314
  • Grand National LSX Swap 044.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 044.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 314
  • Grand National LSX Swap 045.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 045.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Grand National LSX Swap 046.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 046.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Grand National LSX Swap 047.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 047.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 311
Heres a few more:biggrin: Hope to be building some headers this weekend so ill post progress pictures while in the works;)

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 049.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 049.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Grand National LSX Swap 050.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 050.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Grand National LSX Swap 051.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 051.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 302
  • Grand National LSX Swap.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 303
I see one thing that you NEED.....REALLY NEED.........Insulation in your walls!!! Minnesota, and no insulation? Man, that's roughin' it!;) :D

Thanks for the progress pictures. I am going LSX, also, though I'm not sure I want to slide one in a G-Body. I'm thinking a tube chassis somthing. BUT...I do have a T-type with a cage, and it would be a simple conversion. I will go twins, though. Gotta keep with my theme.
Why not use stainless for the headers? Or better, yet, use the truck manifolds. Lots of guys making big power with truck manifolds.
Truck Manifold Turbo Set up FAQ's - LS1TECH
Keep posting pics

I see one thing that you NEED.....REALLY NEED.........Insulation in your walls!!! Minnesota, and no insulation? Man, that's roughin' it!;) :D

Thanks for the progress pictures. I am going LSX, also, though I'm not sure I want to slide one in a G-Body. I'm thinking a tube chassis somthing. BUT...I do have a T-type with a cage, and it would be a simple conversion. I will go twins, though. Gotta keep with my theme.
Why not use stainless for the headers? Or better, yet, use the truck manifolds. Lots of guys making big power with truck manifolds.
Truck Manifold Turbo Set up FAQ's - LS1TECH
Keep posting pics

Haha, Yeah, I have 2 uninsulated walls, But both garage doors are insulated as well as waist deep blow in insulation in the ceiling! I have a 90000 BTU roof mounted furnace that keeps it a cozy 65 with no sweat! But your right Ken, Its definately gonna cost me on the gas bill!

Hey guys, Figured on the placment of the turbo today and made a temporary bracket to hold it so I can make some measurments and build some headers. With the turbo placment I will have to modify the core support to move the radiator twords the front of the car. I fir the PS fender and liner in as well as the intercooler and the header to make some measuments. The cooler can safely go foaward 2 inches with no trouble, the radiator will them be moved forward so its close after the IC. Heres some photos of the turbo hanging in its place and the start of the core support mods to accomodate the turbo:biggrin:

The L shaped plate on the top of the core support is to locate the IC froward 2" temporarily while I build the botton of the core. Then I will weld in some temporary cross supports to keep the square while I remove the upper portion for fabrication.

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 059.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 059.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 249
  • Grand National LSX Swap 060.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 060.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 247
  • Grand National LSX Swap 061.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 061.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 247
  • Grand National LSX Swap 064.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 064.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 245
  • Grand National LSX Swap 069.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 069.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 247
And a few more:biggrin:

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 066.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 066.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Grand National LSX Swap 071.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 071.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Grand National LSX Swap 072.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 072.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 244
Hey guys, Progress has been slow, Econemy sucks so im gunshy with spending money......But....I got the turbo today so I can commence on the building headers!! Heres some pictures of the new turbo.

The old turbo on the left it a Precision PT71GTQ and the new one on the right is a Precision PT101, its a G-trim 1.32ar. and is massive. With the airflow requirments on a 7.0 Litre LSX it seemed fitting to add sufficent hairdryer to never have to worry about that again....so:eek:

Got the accessory drive done on the engine so I know what space I have to work with and where its all goint to fit!

And on the bottom is the fixins for the headers.....that is gonna be so un-fun:wink:

Great googalee moogalee!
Hell it took me better then a month to polish that one on the left...yikes
and i still wasnt happy with it

And its gotta be cold up there now with bare walls....so cold down here, today I almost put on a sweater...brrrrrr

Great googalee moogalee!
Hell it took me better then a month to polish that one on the left...yikes
and i still wasnt happy with it

And its gotta be cold up there now with bare walls....so cold down here, today I almost put on a sweater...brrrrrr

The casting on the PT101 is nice, So if I were ever in the market for a polish im confident this one would be easy! The walls are 3/4 plywood and the garage actually holds heat very well! I have plenty of furnace though....:D

Hey guys, still waiting for the radiator and fan so I can build the core support, So I decided to work on a few other things...The PT101 turbo just has a 7" intake bell and was not set up to accept and air cleaner, So I decided to mill the inlet to accept a 5" intake pipe. So I busted out Rusty, our old Ammco brake lath that has not been used in lord knows how long, I used the lath to cut some arbors to hold the turbo housing nice and straight. it took almost three hours but the finished product is awesome! Heres a few pictures of the turbo, one before picture and some after ones. Now just slip on a 5" ID silicon coupler and a clamp and the intake pipe will slide right in. I milled a small lip on the outer edge to assist in the intake pipe staying put as well as tapered the inlet so there is not a sharp edge there. Id say it turned out well:D

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 043.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 043.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Grand National LSX Swap 077.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 077.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Grand National LSX Swap 080.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 080.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Grand National LSX Swap 075.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 075.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 183
  • Grand National LSX Swap 076.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 076.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 184
And heres one more of the finished product as well as mess that followed:biggrin:

Attachments

• Grand National LSX Swap 073.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 073.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Grand National LSX Swap 082.jpg
    Grand National LSX Swap 082.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 184
wow

thats a massive turbo. it really did come out clean after your mod.

don't let the pictures fool you...
that brake lathe was a real pile of crap
rust all over i was surprised it even ran
like he said there weren't the proper parts to chuck it up to i said....hell just cut that one down...then i left for home...

i have to say good work ryan....i cant believe it actually worked...:D

looking good looks like a te45a +200%

don't let the pictures fool you...
that brake lathe was a real pile of crap
rust all over i was surprised it even ran
like he said there weren't the proper parts to chuck it up to i said....hell just cut that one down...then i left for home...

i have to say good work ryan....i cant believe it actually worked...:D

looking good looks like a te45a +200%

Haha. Hence the name old rusty! Yeah, took over 2 hours to do it but turned out mint!!!

Any more details/pics on the standstill project? What kind of intake were you going to use again?