You can type here any text you want

Annoying ticking sound

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

I developed an annoying ticking sound that starts at 2,200 rpm and get quieter around 3,000 rpm last year. I removed the serpentine belt with no change. From the drivers seat it seems to be coming from behind the gauge cluster, I disconnected the speedo cable with no change. It sounds like loud injectors or maybe coming from the valve train. Will lifters make this kind of sound ? I read in a post a while back where the OP was having issues with the rocker shaft bolts loosening up so I am thinking about removing the valve covers to make sure they haven't, but other than that I am getting lost. Has anyone ever had a similar issue ? Thanks, Kyle.

Header crack

Bent pushrods

Flat cam
Headers are 2 years old TA stock replacement stainless steel headers, maybe I'll retorque the header bolts !

Last oil change I cut open the oil filter and there was no metal and no unusual amount of metal on magnetic drain plug

Well I guess I'll check push rods when I remove the valve covers, I might as well replace the 10 year old LT1 valve springs while I am there ! :)
Thanks for your reply, Kyle.

Do you have an egr block off plate?

No, should I ? I know the TT chip doesn't use the EGR system so I was thinking about removing it and installing a block off plate to clean things up a little. Thanks, Kyle.

I had an annoying ticking sound and it was my egr block off plate. Just throwing an idea at ya.

Update !!! Yesterday I pulled the valve covers to see if I can determine what was causing this annoying ticking sound and this is what I found.
It seems that the rocker shafts braces are side loading some of the rocker arms to the point that the push rod, on the intake valve of cylinder #2, was making slight contact with the head. None of the push rods were bent, so I am hoping this is the problem. I"ll update after I get her all back together. Kyle

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 301
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 281
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 274
When I clearanced my heads to keep that from happening, I noticed the factory holes for the pushrods weren't in the right place.

What's odd, is on your picture it looks like the pushrod cup is centered on the rocker. Do yours have a 'L' and 'R' stamped on them?

When I clearanced my heads to keep that from happening, I noticed the factory holes for the pushrods weren't in the right place.

What's odd, is on your picture it looks like the pushrod cup is centered on the rocker. Do yours have a 'L' and 'R' stamped on them?
Earl there is nothing stamped on the rocker shaft braces, if that is what you are referring too. Thanks for your reply, Kyle.

Weird. You should have lefts and rights showing offsets for the pushrod cups. I believe you just found your problem. Where did you get those rockers?

Just because something is new or rebuilt isn't a reason to rule out a problem.

Just because something is new or rebuilt isn't a reason to rule out a problem.
Correct, but when I listen to the cam sensor, with a stethoscope, I don't hear any ticking sound. I'll know this week end if the braces were the problem. Thanks, Kyle.

Earl there is nothing stamped on the rocker shaft braces, if that is what you are referring too. Thanks for your reply, Kyle.
Earl is referring to the rocker arms themselves. The pushrod cups in the rockers are normally offset a little bit. Replacement rocker arms usually have a "L" or "R" stamped into them so you know which side of the pedestal they go on.

Earl is referring to the rocker arms themselves. The pushrod cups in the rockers are normally offset a little bit. Replacement rocker arms usually have a "L" or "R" stamped into them so you know which side of the pedestal they go on.
Ok thanks for the info, the rocker arms are stock originals to this motor.

Well today I removed the rocker shaft braces and it really didn't make much of a difference, the push rod is still really close to the head. There are a couple of push rods, like this on each head, but this is the closest one. Anyone have any idea why this is like this ? I checked the push rods and they all seem to be fine, nothing bent.

Your rubbing pushrods are not your problem. I bet you have a header leak:wacky:
Is it normal for a couple of the push rods, on each head, to be that close to the head ? I also borrowed my bosses smoke machine and there was no leaks present at the headers, it did have a pretty good leak at the DP to turbo so I am going to try one of Mark Hoffman DP gasket and retest.

Back