another 4.1 budget build

big steves gn

Hey guys doing a 4.1 budget build need help deciding on cam and turbo Any input would be appreciated
the car has 3 in down pipe
60 pound injectors I think I'm going to order some new 80 lb
afr
front mount intercooler
3200 lock up trans
My goal is to run a Hi 10- low 11 second pass
I was thinking about going with that 218 218 cam and a 6766 turbo and run only about 20 pounds of boost I'm a little scared of getting any knock if anybody knows any good 4.1 combinations let me know

Id be scared of any knock if I used those pistons , too.
Do you plan a lot of street driving?
Why so little boost?
218 is nice but for a track car I might be inclined to step to a 224/224. Especially if you plan on some ported heads.
With traction, you shouldn't have trouble getting to the 10s but it will probably need more boost.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

i ran a 4.1 with the hyper pistons, home ported 8445 heads, 72# injectors, 215/220 roller cam from full throttle , turbo tweak chip ,6776 cast wheel ball bearing turbo,3in thdp precision front mount, perfect street and strip car i made 560 hp at the wheels on the mustang dyno with 21# of boost and ran 6.51 in the 1/8 109mph it was a good engine to that point but the sealed power Hypers are only good to about 600 rwhp. with no knock mine gave way when i turned it up 28# of boost i broke 5 of the pistons right at the wrist pins. i am building another one reusing most of the parts just gonna spend the cash on forged pistons from full throttle

I'm not sure I went with the sealed power Hypers 30 over pistons with Molly rings I was told I should be around 8 to 1

Every time I've every read ''I was told'' when it comes to static compression, that person was wrong. Measure what you've got and go from there.

I have sealed power hyper (for now).030"'s in my 4.1 and I had to go through all kinds of heroics to get 8.99:1 static.

You're going to overcam this engine if you're not carefull and throw away all kinds of power, efficiency, throttle response and spool.

My experience with 4.1 street builds have lots of mid-range torque as well as great street manners with a 212/212 roller cam.

As far as a turbo, with your 67 and decent head work, low 10's will be easy.

You will need the 80# injectors and a converter with a lot more stall than 3200, or you will never have traction on the street with all the torque available! :)

What would you guys recommend for a flat tappet cam
and how low did your pistons fit in the cylinder I haven't measured mine but they do seem a little low I might have to take this motor back apart and have the block decked a bit

Nick built me a 4.1 with a 212/212 flat tappet cam and I am very happy with it. I am using the ZDDPlus oil additive to keep it healthy.
Very docile on the street with a good idle, but will burn the tires at will.
I am also going with the 6766 turbo very soon.

What would you guys recommend for a flat tappet cam
and how low did your pistons fit in the cylinder I haven't measured mine but they do seem a little low I might have to take this motor back apart and have the block decked a bit

00I'd say they're way down in the hole... I'm guessing around .078" ~ .080" or so... add the head gasket to that and you're quench distance is none existent (and you're static compression sucks).

Back when I built by shortblock I had to take it all the way back down, remove the cam bearings and deck it .035". That made it .010" shorter than a 109 block. Coupled with some .027" Cometics, that gave me right at 8.99:1 static and it clears my too big 215/220.

Looking back I wish I would have stopped and did my custom/shelf pistons but I'd been without my car for 6 years and I was tired of waiting. My next 4.1 won't have that problem. I'll have forged pistons and a the ability to use normal VR gaskets instead of having to run Cometics.

Okay I'm going to go with the 212/212 flat tappet cam going to take this motor back apart and have it decked im going for a 9 to 1 compression ratio or just under I'll let you guys know how it goes
thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Don't take off too much the deck.isn't that thick to begin with.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My 4.1 was a budget build. Stock crank/rods, .030 TRW hypers, 212/212 roller, ported irons, 6262E, and a 3200 stall. Rest of that combo in my sig. Super fun street motor, quick spooling. On 19-20psi, 19degrees timing, and pump gas only I went 11.95@115 with a soft launch. Turn it up to the mid 20's with alky or race gas and your in the mid-high 10's no problem. Currently rebuilding it as a 4.5 with all forged parts.