You can type here any text you want

Any benefit to relocating the IAT? Gap??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

that guy

Just wondering if there is any benefit to relocating the IAT(Inlet/intake Air Temp sensor) from before the MAF, inside the engine compartment to the up pipe? Obviously that would give me a lower temp, and I would know how efficiently the IC is working, but any performance gains to be had?

How does everyone get consistent gaps on their sparkplugs? I have the little round gauge, but can't help but feel that it is inconsistent. Anyone use another method? Was thinking about buying one of these....

Summit Spark Plug Gapping Pliers: SUM-900313 - summitracing.com

Waste of money or worth it?

Thanks for any comments

Not much to be gained by moving it, unless like you said, you want to monitor what's actually going into the engine.
Those of us that have upgraded to the Translator Pro however, have to (should) move it to the up pipe so that the speed density system can properly do the SD compensations.

The IAT likely will not read lower in the up pipe, especially in boost.
You won't know the IC efficiency, unless you have another temp reading of the turbo out air temp.

how about if you ran 3 sensors. 1 before the turbo in the MAF pipe 1 after the turbo right in the intercooler neck and 1 in the plenum? that would give some real data if you ask me.

Do you use the factory IAT sensor and weld a bung into the up-pipe. That platic sensor does not seem to be able to withstand 600 mph gust of fun.

I just got the pro, doing some studying first.

As far as plug gapping tools go...

I use one of these tools.

43281.JPG

However, on the one I have, one of the wires is .032 . Kinda hard to find them with the .032 but I have found this type of tool gives the most consistent and repeatable gaps.

Just my O2s worth.

Patrick

Do you use the factory IAT sensor and weld a bung into the up-pipe. That platic sensor does not seem to be able to withstand 600 mph gust of fun.

I just got the pro, doing some studying first.

The stock sensor has a metal body/threads. I just drilled and tapped the up pipe and screwed the sensor in. Just make sure it's in a position that is ahead of the alky nozzle. Don't spray it with alky.

The stock sensor has a metal body/threads. I just drilled and tapped the up pipe and screwed the sensor in. Just make sure it's in a position that is ahead of the alky nozzle. Don't spray it with alky.

Did you seal it?

Did you seal it?

Just used a little thread tape, making sure it was high enough up the threads so that no or very little would be inside the pipe. Not that a little thread tape being injested would hurt much.

i run mine after the alky .. in plenum and in back of intake
3/8 NPT

Back