Frame notch how to.

disco stu

I know it's been covered a million times, but maybe it will be helpful for someone about to to do their own to see some pics and specifics.

If you are not confident with your metalfab and welding, have someone else do it (like me :biggrin:). Don't risk the structural integrity of your frame. If you have general fab skills and equipment, get after it.

Things I used off the top of my head.
BFH
7" grinder 24 grit open coat wheel (the floppy ones, not rigid ones)
4.5" grinder 24 grit
cutoff wheels
plasma cutter
profile guage
soap stone
masking tape
6 ton jack stands
floor jack
air hammer with blunt face hammer and chisels
chisels
cardboard
sharpies
scissors
clamp, vice grips etc.
welder, your cousins 110v ain't gonna cut it.
air nozzle
impact

Get the car in the air (at a comfortable height, hence big jack stands) and squared up.... Meaning put jackstands inthe same places side to side and don't do this sh!t in the dirt. Undo lower shocks and pull coilsprings. Brace the rear of the frame and install crossbrace before making first cut. I use an air hammer and blunt hammer bit to "massage" the wheel well edges in for room to work, and you need to anyway. You can see the dark area where I did this.
Have the wheel you intend to fit or at least one same diameter. Bolt it up and mark the frame where the tire is and add an inch for good measure, tire growth and future accomodations.
SDC11298-1.jpg

Break out the plasma (or a roll of cutoff wheels, torch, or whatever you want) and ROUGH IN your cut. Easier to remove it than put it back. I cut about up to the seam and finish it in from there.
SDC11300.jpg

Mount your tire and check for clearance. Don't forget to put your brake drum or disk back in place.
onna rub in the back here, but I need to straighten out that cut anyways, and make some room. Take into account the thickness of the filler plate. I used masking tape and eyeballing to mark where to cut for more clearance and straighten out the cut. I extended the cut on the outer half of the frame in the rear at an angle that matches the tire, why not.
SDC11301.jpg

Now take your cardboard and make your template for the plate. Use the dirty finger method and get it as right as you can.
SDC11309.jpg

Cut it out and knock the slag off it. Use a chisel, don't grind it. It's harder than chicken lips and breaks off easier. Grind it smooth and test fit it. Fits pretty good, but have to tune it up in a few areas where the white marks are.
Note: I fit it for a tight gapped corner weld.

SDC11312.jpg

Now, here's a step i think is important. The frame gets pretty thin by doing this. I'm no structural engineer, but I think adding ribs helps retain the strength if not improve it. No need to go crazy here, the less welding the better. I use 4. The two end caps are incorporated by extending them to the inside of the frame, and then the 2 ribs in the middle. Get a profile guage, and use it to mark the shape of the rib. Transfer it to cardboard and trim to fit, then transfer them to steel and cut them out.
SDC11311.jpg

Once you are happy with how they fit, wire wheel everything CLEAN, anywhere you are gonna weld. Inside and out.Grind the mill scale off the steel, inside and out until it's bare metal. Weld it in. I spaced and forgot to get pics of this. Still have to do the other side of anyone needs pics.
Using a cutoff wheel, mark exactly where these ribs are on outsided of the frame to see where they are when you cover them up.

Position your plate again. Mark where the ribs are with a straightedge and soapstone. I then use a plasma cutter and cut slots where the rib is, about the same thickness as the steel. I leave the cut attached at the end so I don't have to position 3 pieces.
SDC11312.jpg

Once everything is fitting right tack it in, where you have NICE TIGHT GAPS. You don't need much or any gap for a corner weld in 3/16 for good penetration, and the frame material is thin. So unless you want to be blowing through like crazy get it right. Recheck tire clearance before you finish weld. Weld. Take a BFH and close up the gaps as you weld. Weld slow, skip around, have something else to do while you allow cooldown periods.

Rib welded to plate

SDC11320.jpg

rear
SDC11319.jpg

Grind off any thing that will rub or catch a tire, or any ugly ass welds you ain't proud of. ;) Wipe it off and paint.

SDC11323.jpg

Looks meaner already
SDC11317.jpg

SDC11318.jpg

Add one more thing to the tool list. Bandanna or hat. And all the other usual safety stuff.

Why didn't you put this in the fabrication section Stu? That's where it needs to be.:biggrin: Nice work btw.:)

Why didn't you put this in the fabrication section Stu? That's where it needs to be.:biggrin: Nice work btw.:)

Good question. Cuz I'm retarded I guess. :p I was thinking "for bigger tires" so Brakes Suspension Wheels and Tires is where it went. Maybe someone will move it.

Good question. Cuz I'm retarded I guess. :p I was thinking "for bigger tires" so Brakes Suspension Wheels and Tires is where it went. Maybe someone will move it.

Send a note to Shane (SGRIM) and I'm sure he'll do it for you.:smile:

Why not just have the same thread in 2 different places? He could copy it and move one to the how to section.

Very Nice and detailed write up, what size wheels and tires did you go with, also what is the back space?

BW

Why not just have the same thread in 2 different places? He could copy it and move one to the how to section.

Very Nice and detailed write up, what size wheels and tires did you go with, also what is the back space?

BW
Thanks ya'll.

I made sure it'd fit the 28x 10.5 tire in case he ran it in the future. 15x10 5.5 (Welds are more like 5 1/4 measured)
But primarily I think he is making room for a 17x11, nice and tucked in I believe.

Jay and Shane see all, if it don't move I'll notify them.

you left the bilstiens on ? did yo do it yourself ? whats the cost for a shop to do it ?

Thanks ... i bought the metal kit from GNX kid

you left the bilstiens on ? did yo do it yourself ? whats the cost for a shop to do it ?

Thanks ... i bought the metal kit from GNX kid

Yeah, kinda. Unbolted them from the rear end to make it easier to get the springs out. Probably did not have to though, the car is way lowered.

I did it myself, always said "I" or implied it. :redface:

And it depends on what shop of course, where at etc. If you ever get in my neighborhood, lemme know. I'll make ya a deal. ;)

And not knocking anyones kit, but I tried to use the same template a couple times and it was not even close. Too different between cars, how you cut and where you cut. Easier for me just to cut my own out.

That looks great man I cant wait to get it back and tuck some 17x11s back there...

Notch

looks great i am going to do this myself also.Is this a 10x15 rodlight with a 5.5 backspacing.I want a 15x10 with a 5 inch backspacing with a 295 60.Do u think this will fit?

THANX JOE

Looks great man! Might have to make my way down there sometime and get it done.

JD, have you ever heard of wax? Good lord!

Jason

Looks great man! Might have to make my way down there sometime and get it done.

JD, have you ever heard of wax? Good lord!

Jason

Hey tard, the car is dusty and the paint on the back half of the car is original... the flash doesn't help at all....:mad::p

does this look better?:D

DSC04439.jpg

. . . JD, have you ever heard of wax? Good lord!

I asked him the same thing, than I realized that he actually DRIVES his car all the time, wind rain or shine, and even on dirt roads! ;)

Looks AWESOME JD! :cool:

Frame notch

I asked him the same thing, than I realized that he actually DRIVES his car all the time, wind rain or shine, and even on dirt roads! ;)

Looks AWESOME JD! :cool:

Is mandatory when one makes a frame notch
put a rollcage