Any Kenne Bell front mount users here? How well does it work?

Quick6'n'K.C,
Since you're on alchy I doubt you'll notice any difference by swapping but I'm sure you've thought of this..

ks:cool:

KB had a Big Boy I and II. There was a write up about their using the bigboy along with other KB stuff (ultimate combo) to get crazy numbers w/o opening up the block. I think it was in Hor Rod or Popular Hot Rodding circa. early 90's. The Big Boy I the one you have had some fairly decent numbers from what I recall. (not grat by today's standards, but proven nevertheless).

I'll see if I can dig up the article.

21503d1168206085-any-kenne-bell-front-mount-users-here-how-well-does-work-image003.jpg

What are those angled bars that are running from the center front of your K-Member out to the corners? My car doesnt have those. Also doesnt have whatever that is on the left side of the pic. looks like some sort of heat exchanger. Maybe this is why my front end bounces like a basketball over every bump on the road.

I raced a GN a couple of times that had the small Big Boy intercooler in it. My TTA, at the time, ran 7.0 - 7.teens in the 8th mile. When racing, we were side by side on the street...one couldn't pass the other. He had a TE-62 P trim.

Bryan, have a question for you about the IC. Eventhough it is a front mount it seems to only block half of the radiator. Do you find that because of this the car runs stock temperatures? Or does it run a little hotter than with a stock location unit?

Thanks Jason

Not trying to hijack this thread, but just to inform you. This car of mine was a KB poster child from the early nineties. I suspect that ANS had a major hand in the mods at some point, because the ECM has a huge ANS sticker on it. Strange that it would make it's way out here to Western Canada. Otherwise, from the outside everything appears relatively stock. Those braces were on the car when I purchased it, along with neat seat braces, ram air, ashtray switches, Bosch inline booster pump and other major KB parts. I think the only KB stuff left on the car now are the Big Boy intercooler and hood mounted fuel pressure gauge. The heat exchanger looking thingy is a transmission cooler. All early mods were very well done by someone. After I got my hands on it, it's a much different animal.

P.S. Even on the hottest Summer day, my car runs 160-170.

Attachments

• DSC01138 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    DSC01138 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 258
I ran the KB FM on the White T in BG this year with the 3255E. The car went 11.29 @ 121 with it on a stock motor with alky. The car is on page 5 on my Cardomain link.

Yours is different than mine... Did he make more than one design?Yes,the one you have is the new design. His is the old one. Jim Bell went from the old,bigger design to the new smaller design because it worked better. It has more efficient cooling fins. I've run this intercooler for at least 10 years.10.70s @128 mph. Spend your money on something else.

Yours is different than mine... Did he make more than one design?Yes,the one you have is the new design. His is the old one. Jim Bell went from the old,bigger design to the new smaller design because it worked better. It has more efficient cooling fins. I've run this intercooler for at least 10 years.10.70s @128 mph. Spend your money on something else.

This last post peaked my interest, so I went through my paperwork and found my old material. Kenne Bell had these three intercoolers in his catalogue at the same time. Check it out. They all had different applications. Mine was called a Stage 4 Big Boy, while Quick6'n'-K.C. has the Big Boy Air to Air model.

Kenne Bell had these three intercoolers in his catalogue at the same time. Check it out. They all had different applications. Mine was called a Stage 4 Big Boy, while Quick6'n'-K.C. has the Big Boy Air to Air model.
Your intercooler is refered to as "Big Boy Intercooler".Stage 4 Big Boy is the name they called there T4B Turbo. The intercooler they marketed as"Dual Stage Intercooler air to air and air to water" was two "Big Boy air to air" intercoolers welded together. The fist air to air was exposed to air and cooled the boost pressure dramatically. Then the,already,cooled air entered the secound "Big Boy air to air" intercooler,which was encased in a water-tight jacket that had Ice Cold water flowing through it. The theory was,why waste a finite supply of cold water to cool down a very hot intake charge? Why not ,first,use the infinite supply of free air to cool down the intake charge,then send the,much cooler,air into a secound "Big Boy air to air" intercooler encased in ice cold water? Jim De Allesandro used this same Kenne-Bell "Dual Stage Intercooler air to air and water to water" to make 1,300+hp. and run in the 7's in the 90's.

Your intercooler is refered to as "Big Boy Intercooler".Stage 4 Big Boy is the name they called there T4B Turbo. The intercooler they marketed as"Dual Stage Intercooler air to air and air to water" was two "Big Boy air to air" intercoolers welded together. The fist air to air was exposed to air and cooled the boost pressure dramatically. Then the,already,cooled air entered the secound "Big Boy air to air" intercooler,which was encased in a water-tight jacket that had Ice Cold water flowing through it. The theory was,why waste a finite supply of cold water to cool down a very hot intake charge? Why not ,first,use the infinite supply of free air to cool down the intake charge,then send the,much cooler,air into a secound "Big Boy air to air" intercooler encased in ice cold water? Jim De Allesandro used this same Kenne-Bell "Dual Stage Intercooler air to air and water to water" to make 1,300+hp. and run in the 7's in the 90's.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I was hoping someone would know what the deal was.

Big Boy

Attachments

• Buick T 110i.JPG
    Buick T 110i.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Buick T 002i.JPG
    Buick T 002i.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 173
KB Intercooler

I got one:D , Here is my set-up looking to run some low 13's;) ;) with it.

Attachments

• DSC00781.jpg
    DSC00781.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 150
  • KB.jpg
    KB.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC00771.jpg
    DSC00771.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 154
Bryan, have a question for you about the IC. Eventhough it is a front mount it seems to only block half of the radiator. Do you find that because of this the car runs stock temperatures? Or does it run a little hotter than with a stock location unit?

Thanks Jason

Mine still retains the stock fan and radiator.
I didnt drive it this summer in the heat, ive only really driven it when the weather is cool out.
Car runs 165° when its 75 outside.

The core seems to flow pretty good.

This thread is EXCELLENT! You guys have provided alot of excellent information and i appreciate it.

Im glad i didnt take of this IC and go to another one, it seems to work pretty good and i didnt have any out of pocket cash to make the car run pretty dang good.
BW