You can type here any text you want

Anybody grind their own coffee?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
My drip coffee maker quit working so I thought I would up my game. After a ton of research I bought a Baratza Encore bean grinder ($129) from a local coffee shop and a Bonavita coffee maker ($82) from Amazon. The Bonavita should be here in about a week. Thoughts?

Baratza is the right choice for an "entry level" grinder, anything less is more of a coffee smasher than a grinder. They have a reputation for doing a good job.

I have the 8 cup, glass caraffe Bonavita. I like it a lot. Its the older style that takes the cone filter. Bonavita is the go-to machine if you don't want to drop the cash on a Technivorm.

I think you will be happy with your choices.

Bob

I used a old bullet blender my wife bought for making baby food. Worked well. Used less ground beans to make coffee vs buying preground bags. Tastes better too.

Whatever you buy make sure get a burr grinder instead of a blade style

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I used a old bullet blender my wife bought for making baby food. Worked well. Used less ground beans to make coffee vs buying preground bags. Tastes better too.
That might not be the ideal way to grind beans lol. Research bean grinders and you will see what the "experts" recommend.

I am a coffee addict. Started in high school, using the "Mellitta" system (basically a funnel and a bean grinder). Purchase beans at Costco, they seem to have the best around.

I have used the "superautomatic" machines for many years. My favorite is the Saeco line. I use the Incanto Sirius machine which they discontinued, and have three of them; one in the office, one in the game room and one in the kitchen. I have them rigged up to accommodate a mug instead of the little Espresso cups, and they have a touch screen which I really like.

Nothing like a fresh brewed cup of super strong coffee anytime.

DAMN!!

I've been drinking coffee for 36 years and thought I was making a good cup of coffee.

I come and read this thread and find out that I'm smashing my beans, which I have no problem with doing because I end up with snuff and the strongest coffee with the least amount of beans that tastes great to me.

My brother swears by his french press and I use a cheap auto drip that costs less than one hundred bucks.

Either I've been doing it wrong all these years or y'all are just to damn edumicated for me.

I'm just a simple man and guess if you don't know what you're missing then what I have is good enough for me.

If you were to compare your homemade brew to something in the coffee shops what would it taste like most. IE; starbucks or ?

And here i was thinking i was at the forefront of the Coffee Elite with the Mr.Coffee i inherited from my father,Suddenly i feel woefully underequipped, even if I AM using maxwell house.
You guys have motivated me to up my game, next time out it's Folgers (I may even try the Bold blend) or nothing at all. :coffee:

I've always preferred coffee from Duncan Donuts over the other fast food joints. It appears that DD actually grinds their beans fresh. The folks in the know will tell you that the regular canned coffee grounds start to go bad within hours of opening the can (or bag). I figure grocery stores and coffee shops sell different varieties of beans for a reason. I will experiment and see if there is any difference among them. Kind of like tasting different types of wine I suppose.

Some of the grocery store coffees have been coming out with super dark roasts trying to cash in on the starbucks "trend" (thats pronounced "charbucks", overroasted+burnt) really awful stuff.

I'm no gormet, I just like good+strong coffee.

You guys should try Velton's coffee. I prefer the "twilight" blend. www.veltonscoffee.com

Bob

I've been grinding, o_O I mean smashing eight O clock Colombian beans for years with no ill effects.

Colombian Peaks
Whole Bean
We’ve climbed mountains and sailed seas for these highly sought-after, carefully selected beans, from the world’s finest coffee regions.

Cultivated exclusively at a high-altitude in Colombia’s rich volcanic soils, these beans are harvested at their optimum ripeness. Medium roasted with winey notes and a rich, elegant aroma with a full-bodied finish. This is a perfect example of the smooth, sought-after Colombian flavor beloved the world over.

MMMMM I'm drinking it right now. Two pots a day for over five years.

Some of the grocery store coffees have been coming out with super dark roasts trying to cash in on the starbucks "trend" (thats pronounced "charbucks", overroasted+burnt) really awful stuff.

I'm no gormet, I just like good+strong coffee.

You guys should try Velton's coffee. I prefer the "twilight" blend. www.veltonscoffee.com

Bob

Seattles best makes a good medium and dark roast also.

The darker the roast, the less caffeine.

Buy beans & a grinder vs. pre-ground. Beans store well for a long time. A medium dark bean with a bit of an oily look to it is usually pretty good.

The darker the roast, the less caffeine.

Buy beans & a grinder vs. pre-ground. Beans store well for a long time. A medium dark bean with a bit of an oily look to it is usually pretty good.

I knew coffee beans and women had something in common!!!

That quote pretty much sums up what the hotties on the beach look like in my neck of the woods!!!

Unfortunately they are generally pasty white & overweight in this part of the world.

Funky neon colored hair, piercings & ugly tattoos included....

Eight o clock is good for smashing in a blender for coffee each morning. Sometimes I get a $20 bag of fresh groudn at the local brew house, its good. Then I go back to smashing my own in a blender.

But if I'm out of coffee, I'l use the wife's K cups and drink that. Nothing half n half and some caramel can't make tasty.

Back