Anyone Had to Buy a Wahing Machine Lately?

GrnNatlFan

I bought a LG front load washer and dryer about 3 years ago and the dryer is fine; the washer needs to be replaced. I will NOT buy another LG product and I will NOT buy GE products. Wife wants a top load washer this time, something efficient and Energy Star rated. Looking at the Fisher-Paykel but is a question as the name is not too well known. Anyone here buy a good top load washer lately they would recommend?

LG is Lucky Goldstar same company that was sold in low end department stores back in the day under Goldstar. So yea they have a long china history of selling crap.

Speed Queen is the only washer to own. All the Laundromat's use them. They sell a home based line that is the best. Stainless steel tub and a quiet work horse. I'm one of those guys who likes to jam about a months worth of clothes in one wash load and I was always breaking washers. Not with the Speed Queen. It takes all the abuse I can give it! :)

We have a Fisher-Paykel washer and dryer,and my wife loves it. the spin cycle is almost as fast as the front loaders,very cost friendly too. the warrenty is two years on washer and dryer instead of one year like all the others.. the dryer is also a top loader so no more bending over.:)

I bought a fairly cheap set from whirlpool 10 years ago and haven't had a bit of problems.

Agreed No LG and No GE.
I dont recall seeing Speed Queen residential stuff...Interesting.
We have Fridgidare washer and dryer front load HE..... 3 Years..No Problems yet...I bught a 5 yr extended warranty...Thats why we have had no problems..If I hadn't..I would probably be replacing them because of problems..:rolleyes:

LG is Lucky Goldstar same company that was sold in low end department stores back in the day under Goldstar. So yea they have a long china history of selling crap.
I'm pretty sure that LG is made in Korea...:rolleyes:
I bought a Bosch washer & dryer three years ago and it works flawlessly, but it's a front loading model...:smile:
As for Fisher & Paykel, I never had any but they seem to have a good reputation...

Claude. :smile:

Thanks everyone for the input. There is currently a class action lawsuit against LG involving the very same washer I have. Sure somewhere down the line I'll get my check for $2.50? I have narrowed my choices down to the Fisher Paykel and the Whirlpool/Kenmore brands. Will have to see which one I can get a better deal on.

We are looking at them right now.

Most whirlpool/kenmore/maytags appear to be made by Whirlpool.

We will probably end up with a 5 cuft Maytag Bravos/Whirlpool Cabrio when we get the right deal.

We have a 10 year old Maytag Neptune front loader and its biggest drawback is when you find the sock you dropped on your way back from the laundry room, you can't just open the door and throw it in. That and the 90 db it makes on spin cycle.

I have Maytag Neptune front load washer and dryer.

Love them, but not cheap.:cool:

At least look for an energy star there may be some mone back from Uncle sam if you buy one.

I just bought a set of Samsung energy star front loaders with steam cycle last week at Lowes. Opted for the extended warranty also, which means I wont ever use it. They are very quiet. So far so good.

We bought a Samsung front loader about 6 months ago. Wife loves it. Got it at the Sears scratch and dent section for about $600 less than the current new model at the time.

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone. Question for you front load washer people. The LG front load washer I bought works perfectly fine, no problems. Except......it has a design defect. The rubber gasket/seal that goes between the unit and the door was a major design error. Everytime you wash, water just sits in the gasket and starts to smell like sewage. Large amounts of mold buildup also. The manufacturer says you are supposed to dry the gasket out after every wash and leave the door open for it to dry out totally. This doesn't work and the clothes spell moldy and sour. Again, this is in class action suit status at this time. Do any of you have the same problem?

I agree with staying away from GE. Our house had nothing but GE in it new. In less than 4 years, the microwave went out, refridgerator needed repair, have had to buy parts for the dishwasher and the washing machine went out (Twice for the same thing, first time it happened was the first use!). NO MORE GE for me:mad: . No experience with LG, but heard someone say they should stick with making televisions. As for whirlpool, we bought a HE Frontloader to replace the GE. The whirlpool lasted about a month and had to have service come out for some error displayed on the digital display. They replaced some servo, arm and something else all that those parts do is divert the water to the detergent container. A few months later it happened again. I pulled the top off it and found a very thin cheap plastic piece connected to the servo that controls the diverter, and this thin plastic piece warps! Do a search for servo error F30 with whirlpool washers and there is a whole lot of complaints. I ended up disconnecting the servo and left the water diverter facing the one detergent area we use. Havent had any problems, If I ever want to fix it, I'm going to cut a thin piece of aluminum to replace the plastic piece. Honestly, It doesn't seem like anything is made to last for more than 4-5 years at all anymore:(

I bought a fairly cheap set from whirlpool 10 years ago and haven't had a bit of problems.

Same here..not a single problem. I think the only thing I've done is replace the bulb in the dryer (family of 5 with 3 women).

Anymore nothing is built to last more than 4 or 5 years. I've found that when appliance shopping go out and look and bring pen and paper with you so that you can write down model numbers, so that you can do a search on the web for any troubles that might be on-going. Now granted you have to take some opinions with a grain of salt, but most are good opinions.

It seems the middle of the road models seem to hold up better. Don't have all the fancy electronics and gadgets that you will probably not use, and not bottom of the barrel that uses all the reject parts to get it out the door at a low price.

Another thing to watch out for is stores having off models, 1+ year old models being passed off as current year models.

Steve

Thanks again for the recommendations everyone. Question for you front load washer people. The LG front load washer I bought works perfectly fine, no problems. Except......it has a design defect. The rubber gasket/seal that goes between the unit and the door was a major design error. Everytime you wash, water just sits in the gasket and starts to smell like sewage. Large amounts of mold buildup also. The manufacturer says you are supposed to dry the gasket out after every wash and leave the door open for it to dry out totally. This doesn't work and the clothes spell moldy and sour. Again, this is in class action suit status at this time. Do any of you have the same problem?

The New door seals are actually better than the old ones (like our 10 year old maytag neptune has) that didn't have the small volume seals.

This is the main reason we are going with a toploader cabrio or bravos for the next one.

Neptune washer

We are looking at them right now.

Most whirlpool/kenmore/maytags appear to be made by Whirlpool.

We will probably end up with a 5 cuft Maytag Bravos/Whirlpool Cabrio when we get the right deal.

We have a 10 year old Maytag Neptune front loader and its biggest drawback is when you find the sock you dropped on your way back from the laundry room, you can't just open the door and throw it in. That and the 90 db it makes on spin cycle.

I recently fixed the high pitch spin noise. Common with the Neptune--design flaw. There is lots of info on this problem --Google search. Not an easy job----dealer wanted $850 to fix and would not guarntee it would be right. The noise is a faulty bearing caused by a leaking seal in the tub housing. My wife and I fixed it for less than $100 in parts. Bearings (there are 2) were less than $50--had to get a new updated seal from Maytag ---$56--looks close to a rear trans seal----$56 for a $5 seal. Best of luck.

Whirlpool holds many patents on design innovations and effeciency enhancements and has to continuously protect them from thieving lesser manufacturer's such as LG in court.

The Whirlpool front loaders are still made in Germany though a new line will be made here.
Made in USA Whirlpool brands are, of course Whirlpool, Maytag, Roper, Amana and Kenmore.
Unfortunately Sears, run by the folks that ran K-Mart thru bankruptcy to gain strength, may be dropping the Kenmore line to sell only cheap garbage.

I work for a hospital and I can buy those huge 7 cu ft tub machines for the same price as a cheapo version at Lowes/Home Depot ($500/600.00). They are easy to service and very tough. They are the same size as a regular machine but will wash 24 towels at once and not even break a sweat. Dryers do the same.

The front panel comes off for service and they are not belt driven.

Mikey