You can type here any text you want

Anyone have the New Street Lites w/Black Anodizing??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
StLite_178-Black[1].png

They look nice, but do a search, there seems to be a problem w/cracking on these wheels. I was going to purchace a set of 17's and have the centers powder-coated gloss black until I read that post. Dated june 9th. "Broke another Billet specialties front rim".

old topic new question...anyone have these on there buicks yet? pics? im thinking about doing the 17's myself on my GN....

I can say this. I was talking to Allen a few weeks ago about his rims that broke. So far it has only showed up on a few skinny rims, but the problem is in the quality of the rim itself. It will show up in the wider rims sooner or later. They are using cold forged rims from China and then welding the centers in place. You need to forge aluminum warm or hot. They are cracking on the radius that is forged into the rim. This same radius is on every rim. The skinnies are supporting more weight, so they weaken first. The crack runs with the grain of the rim, so it is not going to go away, unless they went to a different temperature forging process. We talked about this for a while. I am a mold design engineer and Allen is an engineer of another kind too. We have a little knowledge of why its happening...and enough knowledge to know its not done happening.

I've had 4 of them (15''x7'' and 15''x10''s) and never had problem with them. I had to replace them with some Weld RT-S' because they would not clear the larger Baer brakes...:(
Claude.

I can say this. I was talking to Allen a few weeks ago about his rims that broke. So far it has only showed up on a few skinny rims, but the problem is in the quality of the rim itself. It will show up in the wider rims sooner or later. They are using cold forged rims from China and then welding the centers in place. You need to forge aluminum warm or hot. They are cracking on the radius that is forged into the rim. This same radius is on every rim. The skinnies are supporting more weight, so they weaken first. The crack runs with the grain of the rim, so it is not going to go away, unless they went to a different temperature forging process. We talked about this for a while. I am a mold design engineer and Allen is an engineer of another kind too. We have a little knowledge of why its happening...and enough knowledge to know its not done happening.

What he said...

I love the look but would advise to stay far away from these as possible. Billet Specialties replaced my two (2) broken rims but would not offer any explaination to the failure. As Coach stated, the rim design is the same regardless of width and you can see from the above link where the failure area is and would really have no difference on the rim width.

When I can find the extra cash, these rims will be coming off.

Allan G.

Back