You can type here any text you want

Anyone having clearance problems with MT Drag ET 29.5x10.5x15W's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDiverArt

The Guru Thorn
Hi All,

Since my new National Dragster arrived last week it’s time to start thinking about the stage car and this season. One area that needs to be corrected this year is new tires. The old ones served me well but they are beat now.

I currently run MT 29.5x10.5x15 Drag ET’s. I’m very happy with them. My dilemma is if I should go with the “W” tire. The “W” tire is about an inch wider. My current “non-W” tire is tight but fits nicely under the car. I’m also going to be doing some sort of suspension work, either Wolfe or HR bar, still deciding. Anyway, is anyone out there having any clearance problems running the “W” tire? I know some people that are running them, like Jack Cotton and they love them. After seeing what Jack was doing with the “W” tire and Wolfe bar last year, I think traction is not a problem!

I just don’t want to buy them and then shred them on the quarters.

My frame is notched and quarters are rolled.

Thanks for any input.
Art.

Art,

Chris Chow runs the 29.5W on his car. He had the frame notched and runs a 15x10inch wheel with a 5 inch back spacing. If we had to do it again I would notch the frame more and go with a 5.5 inch bs. The tread is under the lip but the side wall is exposed. With the addition of the Wolfe bar your car should not require the bigger tire and the hassels and cost it adds.

Check out www.wolferacecraft.com for pictures of chris's car.

Art, are you running +1" lower control arms ? Both my car and Jack's took clearance work at the front of the wheel opening. Clearance work to the wheel well area was needed also. Either mini tubs or some major persuasion with a 5 lb sledge. Plus I ended up portapowering out the quarters for some extra clearance. Then the notching took out enough strength from the lower control arm mounting points that they needed to be reinforced. After a day at the track I found dents in the floor pans where the lower control arm brackets were hitting the floor.

You sure you want to try the W's ? They take a good bit of work.

I'm using a 15X10 with a 5" backspace. I'm not 100% sure what Jack's using.

This is all good information, thanks! I didn't realize that I'd need yet more additional work for clearance. I've already taken the old 5lb hammer to the inner well, mostly so that the well now tucked behind and was flat to the notching of the frame. Without the Wolfe bar my car squats, even with the lowered lowers, yes about an inch or so below stock. I haven't noticed any dents in the floor pan but I'm only pulling high 1.3's at 12-14 psi of boost. I have reinforcements that I need to weld into the lower control arm cup, just haven't had the chance to put them on yet.

It's sounding like the non-W's are the way to go. I'm more into consistency than big wheel stands or pushing the limit. I'd love to get that one illusive short time, wheel stand or low ET but in reality it's all about consistency in the brackets. The car is consistent but the short times started falling off by mid-year last season because of the tires. Damn tires almost caused me to pulled a Rankin and take out the tree off the brake! I just want to get through a season without having a fluid down or near death experience....

Art

I've got a set of draglites (15x10 3.5RS) on a 28x10.5 ET Drag. Inner frame rails havent been touched. Its a little close but still havent needed to use a spacer. Seems like these days everyone's car sits a little different on the frame. You might not have the same luck I had. I used to 60' in the 1.6's with the stock suspension on the old motor. I'm hoping for some better 60's on the brake. Good luck.

John

Re: Art

Originally posted by Wht87T
I've got a set of draglites (15x10 3.5RS) on a 28x10.5 ET Drag. Inner frame rails havent been touched. Its a little close but still havent needed to use a spacer. Seems like these days everyone's car sits a little different on the frame. You might not have the same luck I had. I used to 60' in the 1.6's with the stock suspension on the old motor. I'm hoping for some better 60's on the brake. Good luck.

John

My tires are much bigger, 29.5" high. Lots more side wall. The W's are like an inch wider at the sidewall hence the need for modification. With the 28's you probably won't need any modifications.

Art.

Back