You can type here any text you want

Anyone Swap Cam and Bearings While Engine's In The Car?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNVYUS 1

Ya, it's hangover still from WalbroFest 2009, $hit isn't ending.

So it looks like if you take off everything, even the fans and radiator you have a shot at pulling this off. I no longer have the AC Condensor or FMIC so nothing's behind the radiator.

As you can see, Denial is a river I swim in often. :mad::frown:

pull the engine.. it can be done in the car, but you're not too far from having the engine totally unbolted when you take everything apart and it will be so very much easier with the engine flipped over on a stand..

have done it with engine in the car but was it worth it .? I dont know - would i do it again ,probably not. Easier to remove the engine and do it right ..

Ya I guess it's time to save up and redo the whole thing, again, with only 3k miles on it and one horrible track day.

Seems as if Forged Cranks aren't as easy to find like they were on rebuild #2 around 06, I tell ya, that LSX section is looking very tempting right now.

I have done cams in the car, but I agree you are better off pulling it.
Chow would do bearings with the motor in the car, but I never have.

Walbro, Cometics and a leaking Front Cover into the pump, wish I could say I drove the piss out of it but even after RJC headgaskets, new front cover/gasket and a lower end re-bearing, it sounds like hell and is loosing oil pressure every start up.

Seriously, are parts for us just going down hill or what, this is pathetic. DLS is probably going to get this one, and if that one lasts 3k I'm done.

Ya, around 2500 miles on this engine is just too old.:(

Wow prices have changed since 06 on parts, especially cranks, wow I should've bought them when they were like $275 or something back then. :eek:

Curious to see what kind of internal damage is there.

I'll keep my eye open for a crank.

I have a cleaned and degreased std/std stock crank for $175 OBO shipped if you need one. Get it cut .01 and you're in business.

FWIW, I did main bearings in the grass in 35 degree weather with the engine in the car. I will NEVER do that again. That counts as one of the top five most miserable moments of my life. :mad:

I have done cam bearings in the car. I made my own bearing driver tool. It wasn't easy. It's been a few years and am trying to remember if I had to pull the tranny and do the last one from the rear. Rods and mains are a breeze in comparison. I vote for pulling the motor.

Replace cam bearings with the block in the car? WOW!...I couldn't even imagine doing that.

Back