applicable 5 speed for 80-87 t - type

JoshuaVigil

Hay guys,

Im a brand new member and i would like to know if any one knows what 5 speed would run with a 3.8 L v six with a singal turbo. All I could think of would be a mid 80's firebird or camaro. Alright i would really appreate some input.

Those probably would not work, as they have a chevy bolt pattern bell housing. You could try a Richmond 5 (non-od) or 6, you just need to get an old B-O-P bell housing. They come with a variety of gear ratios, and I think you can get different output splines. Richmond bought the Duog Nash design, much more durable than what came in the F-bodies.
You'd also be wise to get a blow-off valve for the intake- to bleed off psi during shifting. IMO automatics are better for turbo performance, no interuptions in the exhaust pressure during shifting-unless you're going to flat foot the shift.
Also, I think the F-bodies had hydraulic clutch pedals. I think G-bodies were cable clutches- good luck finding a set of pedals and brackets or fabing up a hydraulic set-up.
I know how frustrating the 200-4r can be, but I would go with a 4L80E before going manual

this has been discussed here many times.do a forum search and youll info.i dont like a stick behind a turbo car myself.

Hay guys,

Im a brand new member and i would like to know if any one knows what 5 speed would run with a 3.8 L v six with a singal turbo. All I could think of would be a mid 80's firebird or camaro. Alright i would really appreate some input.

You would want a late 80's GM T5 minimum out of an f-body. I would go for a G-force T-5 if it was me though. Though i would never put a stick in a car like that.

You'd also be wise to get a blow-off valve for the intake- to bleed off psi during shifting. IMO automatics are better for turbo performance, no interuptions in the exhaust pressure during shifting-unless you're going to flat foot the shift.
Also, I think the F-bodies had hydraulic clutch pedals. I think G-bodies were cable clutches- good luck finding a set of pedals and brackets or fabing up a hydraulic set-up.
I know how frustrating the 200-4r can be, but I would go with a 4L80E before going manual
there's no reason a manual trans can't work in a turbo 3.8 powered Regal- if it works in all those turbocharged imports and the new Solstice, it can work in a G body with a 3.8.
just gonna be more custom work.
getting the trans in and functional would be the easy part- just need a BOP bellhousing and a G body clutch linkage setup- which is a mechanical linkage, much like any old generic GM setup. if you were to choose to run a hydraulic throwout bearing, there are kits to hook them up to pretty much any pedal setup you might have.

i don't think anyone said it "can't work," its just not ideal for the 1/4. isn't the solstice belt driven? i don't remember.

there's no reason a manual trans can't work in a turbo 3.8 powered Regal- if it works in all those turbocharged imports and the new Solstice, it can work in a G body with a 3.8.
just gonna be more custom work.
getting the trans in and functional would be the easy part- just need a BOP bellhousing and a G body clutch linkage setup- which is a mechanical linkage, much like any old generic GM setup. if you were to choose to run a hydraulic throwout bearing, there are kits to hook them up to pretty much any pedal setup you might have.

I would use a 3255 with a BB cartridge. Then you will get tremendous spoolup after shifts.

i don't think anyone said it "can't work," its just not ideal for the 1/4. isn't the solstice belt driven? i don't remember.
who cares about it being "ideal" for the 1/4 mile- a stick just just more fun. sure, my Regal was deadly consistent when i had it at the track, but my 4 speed Nova was a hell of a lot more fun and quite a bit faster.
as for the Solstice- it has a turbocharger just like a TR, so, by definition, it is driven by the exhaust. but it isn't a regular turbo- it is a "dual scroll" turbo that essentially has 2 "stages" of boost to get rid of all lag. that, coupled with the direct fuel injection and 10:1 compression ratio, makes for a pretty potent little motor. 260 hp out of (i think) 2.2 liters in stock form is pretty damn impressive, especially when you consider that it has something like a 6500 rpm redline which is pretty low for that small of a motor making that much power.

Thanks for the input I know a lot of people dislike manual transmissions behind a turbo regal but it’s something I really would like to have. I prefer the way you shift through gears and have a mechanical disconnection with the engine and transmission apposed to having a bolt on torque converter. Plus manuals less slippage. I really appreciate all the ideas keep them coming.

"a stick just just more fun. sure, my Regal was deadly consistent when i had it at the track, but my 4 speed Nova was a hell of a lot more fun," I hear ya there Novaderrick. I have a Doug Nash 5sp w/vertigate shifter in my '72 Skylark 350.

Those who know me know that I have to add my $.02.
The #1 reason for not doing it is the already fragile thrust flange in the Buicks cant take the in and out load everytime the clutch pedal is depressed.