You can type here any text you want

Are Cobra Mustangs Supposed To Be Fast?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well, I could tell the guy drivin' the Cobra Mustang thought it was fast. I'm disappointed now.:( I don't pay much attention but have been getting the impression over the past couple of years that these cars (cobramustangs) are fast. Here, I blow one off, and then find out the opposite.:(

I'm sorry but I didn't mean to discourage you in any way Red Regal T. I guess they can be considered "fast" in their own little world, (In crapstang fairy tale land) but they are NOT fast when they are compared to our cars.

Great Kill man!!!!

To add a bit of info....

93 Cobra ran high 13's to low 14's factory stock. 5.0 in the older fox-body style. Being a 5.0, there are mods galore for this car, so it is hard to tell what you will get when you pull up beside it.

94/95 Cobra had essentially the same engine, but was heavier, and generally a low-mid 14 second car in stock form. Like the 93, it has a 5.0, and so can be mild or wild.

96-98 came with the new (at the time) 32V 305 HP 4.6L engine, and ran high 13's to mid 14's stock. The big disparity in ET is generally due to the difficulty in getting these cars launched and driven down the 1/4 mile. I had a 98, and it went 13.6 @ 104 mph in 100% bone stock trim....down to the paper air filter and original tires. However, you will also see folks muddling in the mid 14's with them....hard to launch, and hard to get a good, clean 1/2 shift.

99 Cobra's came factory with the IRS (independent rear suspension), and also came down about 20 HP off their rated 320 - some worse. Ford recalled them and replaced the intake and catback, and did a computer recalibration. The did nothing with the exhaust manifolds, as is said above. These cars are harder than 96-98's to launch (IMHO), as the IRS sucks for drag racing. It also adds about 85 lbs to the car.

However, once the recall is performed, and with gears, a few bolt-ons, and aggressive driving, they can perform quite well. Mine and a friends 99's have gone high 11's on DR's with bolt-ons and a live axle.

There were no 2000 Cobra's due to problems with the 99 (both HP rating and the IRS having vibration and wheel-hop issues). This does not include the ultra-rare 2000 R. Different animal all-together.

01 Cobra's were essentially a carry-over performance-wise, with the problems sorted out.

There is no 02 Cobra, as Ford changed a lot for the 03 Cobra (factory blower, factory T56, a few other things), and will introduce it early this coming summer.

There will also be a 03 'Mach I', that is essentially a 01 Cobra with a live axle, shaker scoop, and a few other things. A pre-production 03 Mach I went 12.97 with Nitto DR's being its only mod this past weekend at Commerce in Georgia (1000 ft above sea level...not corrected, but actual elevation).

BTW Turbojorge....may I ask what your car runs?

Bob Cosby...

Wanna Plug your brain for second on a built up...

88 hatch, TFS stage two heads, with port match upper and lower intake, 70 mm throttle body, stage two cam(believe it is also TFS), 1.7 rockers, Vortech s-trim-8 psi. Car has a t-56 in it, with 373 gears. Car has full exhaust, no cats. Suspension=frame connectors and south side bars.

That is meat and potato's of the built up, what is the potential et"s@trap, assume driver is decent and car is tuned.

Oh ya, would you think with the addition of Vortech, overheating would be a problem, were an high efficiency radiator would be required?:confused:

Shoebox

Originally posted by Bob Cosby

BTW Turbojorge....may I ask what your car runs?

Car should easily go 12.0's with 22-23 psi @about 114 on my 26X10 MT's. I would push it into the 11's, but I'm not too certain that the bottom end would hold.

But, I have had several electrical problems and haven't had a chance to take it to the track yet. Also, the tranny... Yeah, I know, excuses excuses. This car has always been "1 step forward, 2 steps back".

BTW, my car has 153K miles and still hasn't had a complete rebuild.

Back