You can type here any text you want

are weld wheels dangerous for the street?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jamier

Hey everyone I'm looking to put a set of prostars or prefer draglites on my 87 this spring. I'm just wondering if anyone has had problems with street use with these wheels. I've heard stories of them coming apart on turns and at highway speed. Think they were refering to skinnies for the front but I'm not sure. If there are no problems please let me know , also what sizes would you recommend for the front and rear? my car is a street driven daily car that sees weekend track time. I'm having my frame notched first thing outa winter storage. I currently have gta wheels on the car with 245 50 16 all around and like them , just want something different for the season, also want to use a 28 inch tall mt or hoosier slick in the rear not sure on the width yet.. Thanks for the replies ...Jamie

Ive seen the skinnys basically fold under on the street if you turn too sharp and brake. I'd recommend using a 15x5 up front instead. Those seem to hold up better.

i heard prostars are prone to cracking especially when hitting a pothole

I've run 3 1/2 Draglites in the front of 2 Camaros and my 87 T for over 15 years and never had any problems. These cars are/were all setup for the track so I babied them around corners. I wouldn't recommend for a daily driver though.

I agree with T Spool - Not so much as one issue with them. But keep in mind, stay your distance from the cars in front of you and don't make any fast turns. You'll be fine, common sence always prevails.

Jeff is right once again! I can't wait to come and play and share the racing strip, just not against eachother im not stupid :) Love your car.

Last part on my "to get" list is a scrapper with hardware for the girdle, I decided to keep it:biggrin: Once i get that, then i'll mate my fast unit to a new/used harnness. I got a used laptop that works great so im all ready! Simple b2b system should bring some promising results, I can't wait to push my lil ta-60 with it and come c16.

not the answer I was looking for!

I really wanted to get a set or draglites for this season but after doing some research I'm a bit scared. My car is mostly daily driven and the roads in quebec really really suck. Potholes everywhere. Thing thats bad is I really like the lok of the draglites so I have a decision to make. I also remember centerling making a draglite copy , are they any stronger then the welds? I know they'll prob . be a bit heavier but I'll sacrifice weight for the look I want and safety... What do you think???

I really wanted to get a set or draglites for this season but after doing some research I'm a bit scared. My car is mostly daily driven and the roads in quebec really really suck. Potholes everywhere. Thing thats bad is I really like the lok of the draglites so I have a decision to make. I also remember centerling making a draglite copy , are they any stronger then the welds? I know they'll prob . be a bit heavier but I'll sacrifice weight for the look I want and safety... What do you think???

try summits new prostar brand 1/2 the price $109.00

the summit wheels use acorn nuts instead of shank nuts. The shank type wheel is more durable at the fastening point and less prone to self loosening. suggest Centerline telstars

i've had my weld prostars on my buick for about 15 years and have had absolutely no problems, i torque them to 80 ft/lbs and never hear any noises whatsoever when driving (i can assure you that they will go around corners relatively fast when having fun with beamers and vettes). i have 15-5s on front and 15-8's on the rear. awesome wheel,easy to clean and polish. i could see problems if you just started them up with an impact like an idiot, or didn't torque them properly (they are a 3 piece wheel).i live in alberta and the roads probably are the same,lots of frost heaves and potholes to dodge.thats my two cents

So from what I'm hearing a 5 inch wheel min. for the front is ok and a 8 inch will be fine for the rear, I'll look into the sumitt wheels, but still might go for the draglites. thanks for the replies

Back