Arizona shooting: What would you have done if carrying?

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
The shooting in Arizona...really horrible and coward....it's becoming almost an everyday thing....it makes us gun owners look very bad.

I'm very curious and want some opinions from you guys who may or may not carry guns (CCW): If you were there when that coward started shooting with his Glock, if you were carrying a gun..what would you have done with it? Let me hear your opinion and ideas on this...I realize that this horrible incident would trigger a split second decision by others to react, so I'm asking for your opinion on what would you have done if carrying? Shoot him, hide, then shoot, run, tackle the SOB, or what?

I need to learn and process this information from you in case I'm ever in a similar situation, which I pray to God will never, ever happen to me or anyone else....but it will give me LOTS to think about and remember.

Any suggestions on what you would have done would be greatly appreciated.

And...let's say some prayers for all of those who were sadly hurt and killed....this stuff really bothers me, as it's getting out of control. What can us gun owners do?

Bruce '87 Grand National

Here's my opinion for what it's worth, but I think it's basically impossible to determine what you as an individual would do in a situation like this. Most people would love to ASSume that they are a badass and would just pull their gun quick and double tap him center mass, but the reality is you probably don't know how to react unless you are put into this scenario. I would like to think I could be calm in this situation and make the ride decision, but the reality might be very different. It would also depend on a lot of variables like where you are in relation to the gunman, are there a bunch of yelling/screaming innocent bystanders in your way, etc. The upside to being armed though is at least you stand a 50/50 chance of making it out alive, where in these people's case being unarmed they had no chance at all.:(

Here's my opinion for what it's worth, but I think it's basically impossible to determine what you as an individual would do in a situation like this. Most people would love to ASSume that they are a badass and would just pull their gun quick and double tap him center mass, but the reality is you probably don't know how to react unless you are put into this scenario. I would like to think I could be calm in this situation and make the ride decision, but the reality might be very different. It would also depend on a lot of variables like where you are in relation to the gunman, are there a bunch of yelling/screaming innocent bystanders in your way, etc. The upside to being armed though is at least you stand a 50/50 chance of making it out alive, where in these people's case being unarmed they had no chance at all.:(

A very intelligent, analytical, well thought out approach. Thanks. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Bruce '87 Grand National

+1 The whole incident took seconds. He was in middle of crowd. If a second person started shooting there is no telling how many other people would have been injured. You can defend yourself with a gun successfully but I thing this type of incident is not going to come out they way you would want.

Nuff said right there.

Fox is reporting...

that at least 4 folks TCOB, unarmed.
A woman saw the perp reloading, jumped him, and took the clip away. While this was happening, 3 guys tackled, subdued him, to prevent further killings.

The only down side??? 1 was not packing and put the muzzle in his ear..:(
Some of the mess should have been the major part of his head.:mad:
he's now reportedly looking at the Unibomber defense to avoid ol sparky.

It's pretty amazing that no one took him out...

I defintely would have had my gun....don't go anywhere without it. I know how I react in this type of situation (not gun violence, but high stress situations with split second decisions) because I have been in a few in the past....BUT....as said in one of the posts before...overall that is a tough call..I know I woulda responded in some way or another, but I personally think that tackeling him was the right way to go.

Bravo for the people that helped stop him.

very hard call:

1st and formost 99% gun owners are very responsible folks.

Its the 1% that are IMBALANCED. or non gun owners

Every situation is different.
Not that you should take the law into your own hands.

BUT

If I was there with a gun and face being a target after seeing him/her killed people I would try to shoot to kill.

If I was nearby and nobody was in harms way I would go for the shooters KNEE or LEG to stun him in order to not kill him/her. ( of course I would be sued up & down by the his/her laywer, alcu & who knows who else)

I feel for LAW enforcment folks as they have to make decisions like this occasionally.

with my luck

i would have shot by a cop or her personal security as they would have thought i was in on it. regardless brick it's a tough call.

Thanks, fellas, for all the insightful information....it does give me a LOT to think about, and I appreciate your comments.

I hope this never happens to any of you out there. If you carry, I hope you'll never have to use it.

It sure becoming a bad world now, isn't it?

Bruce '87 Grand National

Chl holders

As a CHL holder I wouldn't want to be in that position to not do any thing during something like this. Far from a hero but if I was seated behind him I have no problem dropping some slugs into that panty waste. Of course unless ur in that situation then there is no telling what u'd do but stopping a blood bath like that would be better then saying I was there armed and didn't do anything.