You can type here any text you want

Astro Brakes and ABS

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

samandw

I'm going to start collecting parts for a hydroboost/ABS conversion, and I'm trying to figure out how much of a project it's going to be. Also, does anyone know if the ABS pump on the Astros is separate from the master cylinder? Will any Astro hydroboost master cylinder work?

Thoughts?

P.S. Let's keep this about hydroboost, I'm not interested in any vacuum/powermaster arguments. thanks;)

I think that if you just get a used 84/85 unit, buy the 84/85 lines and master cylinder new it will fit better and have alot less to fab to make it fit. I have an 84 gn with the 87 conv. and love my hydroboost. Unless the astro van is the unit I would be worried about spending money for something that may not just bolt in. And yes, the abs unit is seperate from the master on those.

Thanks, good to know. Then it's probably likely I could use an Astro ABS system with the 84/85 HB brakes. . .cool! I've got a vacuum conversion on now and hate it. . . I'm assuming I'd have to swap my pedal out for a PM/HB pedal?

Yes, you will have to swap out your pedal. I used the powermaster pedal and bracket. I had to fab the bracket to get things to fit right. Other than that, it is just getting or making the hoses that you will need. It was worth it. I have a post that explains what needs to be done to the PM bracket.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

Sounds Like There Is Some Renewed Interest In The Hydroboost. I Brought This Up 3 Years Ago. We Do Offer And Prefer New Hydroboosts Ready To Bolt Right On The G.n's. We Have Been Doing This For 56 Years. Bosch Builds The Basic Unit And We Set Them Up To Fit Any Application. An Advantage Is We Had A Full Shop For Those 56 Years. We Install Them ,and Test Drive Them. Even For Handicapped People. We Rebuilt The Powermasters, We Converted G.n.'s To Vacuum Boosters With Vacuum Pumps. The Hydroboosts Worked The Best. We Offer Rebuilt Units For Those Who Want Them. We Have Been A Rebuilder For Those 56 Years. Used Units From The Junkyards Is Chancey, But The Other Problem Is That The Pedal Ratio Is Critical, Which Is In The Bracket Angle, And Using A Truck Master Cyl Is All Wrong. We Can Provide The Right Bracket For The Car Whether It Has The Vacuum Pedal, Or The H/b-p/m Pedal. Cobbling Up Hoses To Fit Is Not Easy. We Did Our Homework On Those Subjects, And Came Up With A Stainless Hose Set That Includes Banjo Swivel Ends At The H/b End, That Is Really Clean And Matches The Car. I Saw On The T.v. Show "pinks" That A G.n. Came Down To The Finals, And Redlighted When He Staged, And The Car Shoved Across The Line. He Lost.

We Can Provide The Right Bracket For The Car Whether It Has The Vacuum Pedal, Or The H/b-p/m Pedal. Cobbling Up Hoses To Fit Is Not Easy.

Looks like I might be able to get my hands on a 84/85 GN HB system, are you saying you have something that would allow me to avoid the headache of swapping pedals when I convert to HB? Would you sell that separately?

Hydroboost Conversions

We Do Build Brackets And The Rods For Many Different Cars, Such As Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaros, Trucks, Street Rods, Etc. Remember, The Pedal Rod Is Crimped Into That Hydroboost. We Built A Special Puller To Pull The Rod Without Damaging The Piston. Then The Rod Has To Be Restaked In. Cutting And Welding On Your Truck Unit Pedal Rod Is Your Choice, And Not Recommended. The Used Unit Should Be Rebuilt, As They May Have Metallic Sediment Inside From The Gear Box. "if" You Would Like To Send In Your Core, We Can Rebuild It, And Then Install The Proper Rod And Bracket To Fit Your Car. That Is Why We Prefer To Send Out New Units, Ready To Bolt In, And Everyone Is Happy. It's Up To You. There Is Some More Info At "powerbrakesonline.com" Or Call Us

I think that if you just get a used 84/85 unit, buy the 84/85 lines and master cylinder new it will fit better and have alot less to fab to make it fit. I have an 84 gn with the 87 conv. and love my hydroboost. Unless the astro van is the unit I would be worried about spending money for something that may not just bolt in. And yes, the abs unit is seperate from the master on those.

My understanding is that the 84/85 cars had a V-belt, unlike the serpentine on the 86/87 cars. How did you make the hydroboost power steering pump work with the serpentine belt?

I did mine awhile back, cant remember if i posted it or pm'ed it to someone. I have a 85 i converted to LC2, and just used the stock LC2 ps pump plumbed into the hydroboost. when i let Len from Vegas drive it to check out the trans he told me i had some of the best brakes he's ever felt. but i have 4 wheel LS1 disc also. hth

We Do Build Brackets And The Rods For Many Different Cars, Such As Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaros, Trucks, Street Rods, Etc. Remember, The Pedal Rod Is Crimped Into That Hydroboost. We Built A Special Puller To Pull The Rod Without Damaging The Piston. Then The Rod Has To Be Restaked In. Cutting And Welding On Your Truck Unit Pedal Rod Is Your Choice, And Not Recommended. The Used Unit Should Be Rebuilt, As They May Have Metallic Sediment Inside From The Gear Box. "if" You Would Like To Send In Your Core, We Can Rebuild It, And Then Install The Proper Rod And Bracket To Fit Your Car. That Is Why We Prefer To Send Out New Units, Ready To Bolt In, And Everyone Is Happy. It's Up To You. There Is Some More Info At "powerbrakesonline.com" Or Call Us

Bob, I'd really like to read your posts, but your capitalization of every word makes is very difficult. Can't you turn that off? TIA.

My understanding is that the 84/85 cars had a V-belt, unlike the serpentine on the 86/87 cars. How did you make the hydroboost power steering pump work with the serpentine belt?

The power steering pump on the 86/87 car does not care if HB is plumbed in line with the power steering gear. I just noticed a little more power steering pump noise. Tinman posted the fittings needed for the 84/85 conversion to 86/87 chassis. You don't need to change the pedal if you use the 84/85 HB in an 86/87 chassis. I had PowerbrakeBob rebuild a unit I purchased off from a member and once my powermaster took a dump, I started to do the conversion. Be careful removing the lines from you power steering reservior (I cracked mine:mad: and needed to buy a used one from BWeavy). I tried different set ups in an attempt to install a fileter on the return hose, but could not make it work. Tried the filter that looks like a gas filter and the one that looks like a inline filter used in AC systems, but both are too long. So mine system is not usnig a filter. I'm now waiting for a phoenix systems brake bleeder and a tool to depress the combination valve button, then I can ensure my brake sytem is properly bled. I fully expect this system to run flawlessly. So far so good. Just a few more steps, but it is running.

Back