Astroroof Production Cars

and the motors are the weak link. The plastic cogs get eatin up by the metal worm drive gear. You'll know when it starts to fail because it will get a loud rat-tat-tat-tat noise going every time you attempt to open or close the unit.

There is no plastic in the Astroroof motor/drive. It's all metal. Either the motor burns up or the teeth on the cables get rounded off from excessive wear. Or the cables just break all together. IMO the cables are the weak link.

And yes, it's the same unit used in the 79-85 GM E-Body.(Riviera,Eldo,Toro,Seville).

Dont know how I did it, but I was lucky enough to get in touch with a board member who was selling a brand new, never used, entire astroroof assembly! Cost $300. Dont hate me! :)

As I said, if you can grab parts now, do it. They are going to skyrocket in price over the next few years. I don't know that anyone has plans to make an aftermarket replacement motor for these astroroof's, and the motors are the weak link. The plastic cogs get eatin up by the metal worm drive gear. You'll know when it starts to fail because it will get a loud rat-tat-tat-tat noise going every time you attempt to open or close the unit.

The question is did you install it or save it ;) I would have it setting to the side just to look at it. I hate having new parts like that because I hord them & don't install them. Then some one with too much $ calls & throws it at me then I sell it. Then I end up a few years later buying another for more then I sold the other 1 for.
It's a vicous cycle :D

I have alot of moon roof cars I seem to favor them. We do have alot of parts for them & will be working this year to reproduce some parts for them as well.
Finding some one to do it reasonable that is a different story.

BRIAN, do you have any of the interior plastic trim pieces that are unbroken? Preferably in grey? If so PM me the details. If not will you be getting them reproduced??:)

i thought i remembered there being more than just the g bodies that used the same astro roof.

I had asked someone at GM many many years ago about this (my 86 came with it), and in reference to 86 GN's only, he said a good rule of thumb was that very close to 10% of total GN production in 86 received the factory moonroof option. That would mean something close to 510+ CF5's in 86 GN's (not all regals).
My '85 WH1 from what I understand is 1 of 525? On top of that, it also has the moonroof option. I have not been able to find anyone who knows how many of them are like this. At this point, I would be happy to find a source for the outer seal. I am getting ready to remove the whole unit to repaint the car.

Astroroof

I have an NOS Astroroof motor as well as an NOS plastic inner trim ring. You never know...with the right offer....

My '85 WH1 from what I understand is 1 of 525? On top of that, it also has the moonroof option. I have not been able to find anyone who knows how many of them are like this. At this point, I would be happy to find a source for the outer seal. I am getting ready to remove the whole unit to repaint the car.

I picked up an outer seal from gbodyparts.com

I have an NOS Astroroof motor as well as an NOS plastic inner trim ring. You never know...with the right offer....

Inner trim ring?? What would somthing like that go for..:D :D :biggrin: I've been looking for one but can't afford it.....

Inner trim ring?? What would somthing like that go for..:D :D :biggrin: I've been looking for one but can't afford it.....

Im not going to pay to much for a car thats 22 years old right now.I have a Powermaster I just bought a few months back.As long the Roof doesn't leak Im happy but it would be nice if it worked.I wish my car didn't come with the Astro Roof but I still like the car since its a Turbo Limited.

Astro Roof Leaking

Real 99, You May Have 2 Different Problems. As Long As The Outer Seal Is Fitting The Roof Even(shut) And It Is Leaking,the 4 Drain Hoses May Be Plugged. Either Way You Will Need To Remove The Headliner- Then Remove The Entire Assy.(it's Heavy,overhead) An Extra Set Of Hands Is Nice. After The Assy Is Removed,take A Blowgun(compressed Air) And Blow Out The 4 Hoses..the Factory Astro Roof Is Actually Like A "gutter" System. Water Will Pass By The W-strip On The Roof And The Drain Hoses Let The Water Out Of The Gutter. Once You Get The Assy Out,sounds Like You May Need Cables(if The Motor Runs) Good Luck,as Above Listed, There Are A Few Other Vehicle That Have This Exact Assy. G-bodys,buick Riv,olds Toro,cad Deville(frt Wheel Drive)..go To A Local Pick-a-part,buy An Extra...best Wishes.

Real 99, You May Have 2 Different Problems. As Long As The Outer Seal Is Fitting The Roof Even(shut) And It Is Leaking,the 4 Drain Hoses May Be Plugged. Either Way You Will Need To Remove The Headliner- Then Remove The Entire Assy.(it's Heavy,overhead) An Extra Set Of Hands Is Nice. After The Assy Is Removed,take A Blowgun(compressed Air) And Blow Out The 4 Hoses..the Factory Astro Roof Is Actually Like A "gutter" System. Water Will Pass By The W-strip On The Roof And The Drain Hoses Let The Water Out Of The Gutter. Once You Get The Assy Out,sounds Like You May Need Cables(if The Motor Runs) Good Luck,as Above Listed, There Are A Few Other Vehicle That Have This Exact Assy. G-bodys,buick Riv,olds Toro,cad Deville(frt Wheel Drive)..go To A Local Pick-a-part,buy An Extra...best Wishes.

Well my headliner is down because of the leakage over the years.Yeah its probably no easy fix but Im not dure if the motor is intact.At least I got it sealed so water can's leak into the car anymore.

BRIAN, do you have any of the interior plastic trim pieces that are unbroken? Preferably in grey? If so PM me the details. If not will you be getting them reproduced??:)

We were working on getting them reproduced until I got price quotes :eek:
Not saying were not just waiting to the economy to hit an all time low so we can get better pricing.

On the plastic Eric & I yanked 1 this weekend. I knew we weren't the first ones in there when we seen boards in the pan. The plastic wasn't cracked but they have the drag marks thru them & scratches.
I'm thinking that is something that just happens after use.
I have a couple yanked out sitting next to the wall. I'll check the condition of them. If you don't mind a scratched up unit that isn't cracked I should be able to help you out.

As far as headliners don't forget we have them for moon roof cars in ABS.

astro-roof

I just pick up a astro-roof assembly glass and all at the junk yard for 80 bucks. I wanted to have one just in case I brake the glass. I saw a another one on a car next to it if anybodys interested . looks like you have to take it all apart to change gasket

i've got a complete astroroof assembly i'll take $200 for if anybody wants it. motor, switch, wires,... everything. its all together, i just unbolted the pan from the car and shelfed the whole assembly. can take pics