ATTN: autobody/painters

There are alot of old school bodymen that do things the wrong way. I just left a shop full of old guys that do things like it is 1979. The manager thinks the older guys that have over 20 years in the business are better than someone that has 10 years in and another 20 to give. The autobody industry keeps changing, and the techs need to be willing to change with it.

Damm punk know it all kids :eek: :biggrin: things do change :p

good point.this is true with any trade.

There are alot of old school bodymen that do things the wrong way. I just left a shop full of old guys that do things like it is 1979. The manager thinks the older guys that have over 20 years in the business are better than someone that has 10 years in and another 20 to give. The autobody industry keeps changing, and the techs need to be willing to change with it.

was the $2500 for painting the car to ???? :confused: was it painted ??? IF it was what made you dig out the bodywork :confused:

Damm punk know it all kids :eek: :biggrin: things do change :p

I have heard that a time or two.:biggrin: I have learned alot from some of the "old guys" I have worked with. I am sure I have shown them a few things too. You just have to be open minded.

was the $2500 for painting the car to ???? :confused: was it painted ??? IF it was what made you dig out the bodywork :confused:
no I paid him $1,000.oo up front, then another draft of $1,500.oo for him to pull in out side help to get it finished before the 2006 GA Nationals.

Evercoat makes a filler that has Kevlar and Fiberglass in it. Its POSSIBLE that they used it on yours, but i would ask them for the name of the product they use in their shop. It looks like a greenish/blue filler, so it may be one of Evercoat's products. (they normally come with a blue catalyst which turns them that color. it is NOT conclusive but its a likely possibility as most shops dont buy catalyst seperately from the filler)

It looks like they sanded the metal with a relatively fine abrasive. in the pics it doesnt look as coarse as the typical 36 or 24 grit that filler (especially thicker amounts) likes to adhere too.

find out what type of primer they used as well over the top of the whole job. the worst thing would be is if it was a laquer primer or another non sealing primer that would have allowed the underlying filler to absorb moisture.

sorry to hear about your luck though. it really is a 'custom' job they did.

don't worry, you'll get your money. Take lots of good pics maybe get some real bodyguys opinions get your things in order. I'm sure everyone will be on your side. My uncles 77 cutlass got some crappy ass paint and body work, not so much bondo, more like bad panel hangs and peeling fisheye paint. Got every penny back for the bad work.

I'm not a bodyman but to put bondo or any filler on BARE metal is WRONG.

In my experience the bare metal should be sprayed with a product called DP....the number after is the color of the product. DP40 (GREEN) is a primer the etches the metal to seal it. If bondo is applied to bare metal that metal is porrus and will let moisture in from the rear and will fall off.

Any filler needs to be sealed from both sides. Ive seen this mistake many times and personally I wouldnt work with any shop that does,and most do.

This is BS. In your defense I was taught this technique in a vo-tech autobody class. This link and experience opened my eyes though.

Filler & Epoxy

By the way I'm would bet on kevlar in filler either....DA is thinking of fiberglass

Wrong again. I would have thought this also but a quick search came up with this.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=13

Anyway.... that filler should not have come off that easily. Somethings fishy.

This is why you don't pay until the job is completed.... if they won't deal this way then go somewhere else. Good Luck with this man I feel your pain.