Austin Area - Newbie to GN but not Buicks

Why do you think you need a new IAC? Not saying you don't need it just wondering if you tried to set it first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott, Car runs for about 30 to 45 seconds then slowly starts to slow down and stalls. Car sat from 2003 till probably about 6 months ago. Four things I want to do is replace vacuum lines, install new fuel pressure regulator, new IAC, and fuel pressure gauge. Car runs but have to feather the throttle to keep it from stalling. New O2 was also installed.

Have you done a spring cleaning? Do you have a Power logger, scan master or other scan tool? Have you verified fuel pressure?
Vacuum lines are a good idea but I would try to figure out what the issue is before spending money on things that may not need to be replaced. Have you checked your TPS and IAC values? They might just need to be adjusted.

Have you done a spring cleaning? Do you have a Power logger, scan master or other scan tool? Have you verified fuel pressure?
Vacuum lines are a good idea but I would try to figure out what the issue is before spending money on things that may not need to be replaced. Have you checked your TPS and IAC values? They might just need to be adjusted.

^^^^This is very good advice.

If you don't have a scan tool, you're throwing darts at a moving target.

Why throw money and energy at replacing parts, aka:

Taking pills that only make a cancer feel better when some serious checks and balances might actually cure your cancer?

I'm jus' sayin'.....................

Last edited:
I have done the spring cleaning, I am replacing a few parts because I want to replace them. Nothing major. I do need a scan tool to identify the operating ranges of the sensors. It appears this is the best way to diagnose sensor related issues or range of operation is to use a scanmaster or related tool. Again This is the Third week of owning a grand national so the hill looks like Mount Everest. I will get it sorted out, it is great to have a great community to bounce ideas off of as-well-as learn from. Any suggestion on scan tool for a stock GN.

Any suggestion on scan tool for a stock GN.

All these items are available through various TB.COM supporting vendors.

Scanmaster2 will be the most economical.

Adding a Powerlogger for data gathering is a good idea.

There's also the ScanmasterG. (gauge style)

Last edited:
You need a scan tool to verify that all your sensors are properly set (TPS and IAC) and that the rest of them are reading rational values to start with. After that the scan tool will help you fine tune any adjustable values in your chip (assuming you get one of Eric's chips) There isn't that much to these cars once you understand how the computer manages the data it collects. If you have a laptop you might want to start with the power logger. The power logger will make it easier for you to see a lot of information at once and to log (record) this information so you can review it later. The scan master is great for being able to see most of the same information without the laptop. Nothing wrong with replacing sensors but I think your money would be better spent on any of the scan tools listed in the previous post. I have a shelf full of sensors I replaced when I bought my first turbo buick so I understand but the last car I bought a couple years ago didn't need a single sensor and the one I bought before it only needed a MAF sensor. To kind of help you understand you need to make sure the TPS sensor is adjusted to read .44-.46 closed and 4.6 plus opened while the IAC is adjusted to 10-50 on your scan tool. There are alternate ways to set these without a scan tool but it's much easier with one. The most common sensor I've had go bad was the stock MAF. One bad sensor like a temperate sensor can skew the entire fuel or timing table so being able to see what your computer sees is very important. At 30 years old most of these cars have had their transmissions rebuilt or replaced so I found one of my cars computers always thought it was in 1st gear and the other one always thinks it's in 4th gear. This is important because these cars are set up for a couple degrees more timing in 1st/2nd gear than 3/4. Without the power logger I wouldn't know this. It might seem like a mountain of information but it's really not. You have all of us here to help you and whatever issue I've had I've been able to figure out by google search and looking for links to this site. It was much harder 25 years ago.

Scott Looks like I am going to start with a power logger. I do have a question what is the connection used for with the red connection in the picture. It has vacuum lines that are disconnected. I do not know what it is used for.
vacuum line.jpg

That is a stock boost control solenoid. It's probably still there so the engine doesn't throw a code, but your boost control is most likely set up with a aftermarket boost controller now. Probably a RJC boost controller or a adjustable knob style controller inside the car or under the hood. If you follow the vacuum lines on your turbo you should find what is set up to open the wastegate actuator.

Update, Pulled the IAC and it was pretty dirty. I cleaned it and the throttle body. The car starts much better and was running for about 5 minutes this evening. I will purchase a data logger in September in order to start reviewing the data and learning how to sort out the gremlins.

hey, just saw this post. I live in Cedar Park, let me know if you need anything, I won't say I'm an expert but I've been around these cars for a bit.

Paul

Hi Paul, If you don't mind I would like to meet up. I use to know quite a few turbo regal owners in Austin but most have moved on. I never had a turbo buick till recently so I lost out learning from them. I will send you a message with contact info. maybe you can help me learn these cars or maybe we can learn together!

Hi Paul, If you don't mind I would like to meet up. I use to know quite a few turbo regal owners in Austin but most have moved on. I never had a turbo buick till recently so I lost out learning from them. I will send you a message with contact info. maybe you can help me learn these cars or maybe we can learn together!

I'm also down for meeting sometime. Maybe we could do a mini-meetup for the area?

Will it sounds good to me. unfortantly my car is not mobile at the moment. I am sure it will get there soon. I am up to a garage session at my place maybe I can pick your brain as well.

I'm a little confused and/or I've missed something.

I see you are going to purchase a data logger (Powerlogger?) but I don't see where you say you already have a ScanMaster.

You will need a ScanMaster to use a Powerlogger.

The ScanMaster G (gauge style) I believe will display and has the ability to log data via an android or iPhone. (you'll need to verify that....) About $300 with shipping.

Scanmaster 2 - about $275 with shipping.

Powerlogger - about $275 with shipping.

In addition, there are usually used items for sale here as guys upgrade.

These are approximate prices. Contact Eric Marshall at Turbo Tweak or Bob Baily here on the board about new units and pricing.