You can type here any text you want

auto to manual trana, what is needs to be done.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

151 racer

I also have this posted in the engine section, by my mistake. I building a v-6 vega with a 78 buick turbo motor and I want to use a 5 speed trana instead of an automatic. I believe that the crank will need to be balanced with the flywheel and balancer. Is this correct? Also if anybody else has done this type of swap I would like to here from you.

thanks in advance

Welcome.

Welcome aboard again and now that you're in the right place I'm sure Aj will be on some time soon. Like I said, one of his cars has a stick so he should be able to answer your questions. The other sections aren't as forgiving as we are here. They'll beat you up for wanting a stick. I did it once myself so I know. My old NA car was a Skyhawk with a manual and I had to balance the engine. The reason for this is because of the weight difference. Where did you get the flywheel and is it the correct one is the biggest questions I have for you.

I have a 4 speed in my N/A Vega right now. It is a pain. It is fun to drive but I have a hard time finding a clutch set-up that 1. will fit in the small H-body bellhousing and 2. have enough grip to last more than a few months. I am going to an auto with a brake. I was toying with the idea of finding a Lakewood bellhousing and go with a hydraulic clutch but the trans tunnel is so small I didn't want to fool with it. Also be careful with too much pressure plate because it will kill the thrust bearing in the engine quick. BTW I never balanced my engine when I put it together. I have a big cam so I am not sure if the engine vibrates or not :D . It pulls to 6 or 6500 depending on the weather so it can't be too far off. H-bodies with a V6 are getting a little hard to find but I have had several so it isn't impossible. AJ has first dibs on the 4 speed stuff as I am sure he will want it as soon as I take it out. Might even give him a better deal if he helps me take it out.

It would be highly suggested that you balance the entire assembly before installation but if you dont- it will live.

the next question is the choice of transmission, which 5 speed do you want to use, how much power are you going to make, and whats your budget.

A.j.

the G body and the H body are 2 different beasts. H bodies use a cable to activate the clutch and the G body has mechanical linkage. Big difference. I found a 10" disc held up fairly well except for blowing 1 up on a launch. Like I said earlier though, are you sure you have the correct flywheel? There are still odd fire flywheels out there and I have 2 of them myself. One is billet and the other is a modified stock one. You don't want to put one of these on your engine though. The vibration would kill it for you real fast.

Ohh its an H body doh! Ive got dontreadthewholepostatitus. I see now.

Kinda highjacking the topic, but does a turbo motor work with a manual as good as an auto? Ive heard that its hard to keep up your boost on shifts. Ive always thought itd be fun to have a manual on a 3.8.

Ohh its an H body doh! Ive got dontreadthewholepostatitus. I see now.

Kinda highjacking the topic, but does a turbo motor work with a manual as good as an auto? Ive heard that its hard to keep up your boost on shifts. Ive always thought itd be fun to have a manual on a 3.8.

I thought it was the bomb!

but a BOV is very helpful, if it can be added.

I always saw the drop in boost during shifting a good thing, as it reduces the load on the rest of the drive line just enough. power shift it enough and T5s and 10 bolts start blowing up.

Im not going to say your going to be faster with a manual... as we all know that can of worms conversation, but it sure is ALOT of damn fun! with the way the torque comes in, you can 60 foot alot of faster cars if you know what your doing!

if you wanna have fun, theres just no other like it!

:biggrin: A.j.

An old Doug Nash 5 speed would be a good option if you're willing to spend the money. BTW, what year Vega do you have?

The Vega is a 74. I noticed that the vega flywheel will bolt on to the back of Buick crank. I have pretty much everything to do the swap. I was just wondering about balance problems. The trana I have is from a 4 cyl S-10. Everything will bolt together. Right now I have the motor disassembled so having it balanced wouldn't be a big deal.

thanks

The Vega is a 74. I noticed that the vega flywheel will bolt on to the back of Buick crank. I have pretty much everything to do the swap. I was just wondering about balance problems. The trana I have is from a 4 cyl S-10. Everything will bolt together. Right now I have the motor disassembled so having it balanced wouldn't be a big deal.

thanks

I think I have seen you before on Pennocks fiero forum, too bad your loosing the Duke...

anyways...

That 4cyl T5 wont last very long, especially if you get into 8+ lbs of boost. it will blow 3 & 4 out. I can show you the pictures if you need hard evidence.

But I know what your after, The chevy LUV is oddly close to the vega in dimensions, sooo heres what you want.

Im not sure on your flywheel, first time ive ever heard of the vega one swapping over.
Being that you will be using a BOP bell, you will need to use a different throw out fork - i tossed it and went with a hydralic unit. works better I think.
The T5 out of a V8 camaro is perfect, but will require some mods to make fit your shifter location.
Use the tailshaft assembly from the 4cyl trans, you will need a special adapter to relocate your speedo gear on the output shaft of the camaro T5. I have a few left in stock.
If you dont swap out the trans, I have the correct clutch disk that will accept the 4 cyl spline and still be 11" I wont need it since I moved up to the camaro T5.

good luck!

A.j.

thanks

WHOA-STOP!!! Do NOT use the Vega flywheel. It won't work right. Go to the local parts store and get the right one for the engine. They only cost about $100 so it's not that expensive. A 4 cylinder has a much different balance than the V6 does and the flywheel shouldn't even be the same size. It may bolt up but you need to make sure it's for the even fire Buick. Get one for a 78-79 regal with a manual. They did make them and any of the major chains should be able to get it. Last price I saw on one was about $100 so it shouldn't hit you to hard.
As far as the tranny, you might want to see if you can find one out of a Camaro. The 4 cylinder tranny isn't built for the same power as the V8 so it wouldn't hold up to long.

I no longer mess around with the iron duke motors (I blew up to many and I wasn't as competive as I needed to be) my circle track car now uses the quad 4 motors.

Anyway back to the Buick, it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Vega 140 motor is internally balanced, would this then make the 140's flywheel neutrally ballanced. Which would mean the vega flywheel could be bolted to anything that is also internally balanced.

Anyway back to the Buick, it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Vega 140 motor is internally balanced, would this then make the 140's flywheel neutrally ballanced. Which would mean the vega flywheel could be bolted to anything that is also internally balanced.

But the Buick is externally balanced and has a different tooth count than the Vega motor. Made me get one of my flywheels out to measure it. 13 &5/16" diameter. I had a Vega as my first car and the flywheel wasn't near as large.:eek:

Your're correct I just matched the flexplate from the buick to the vega manual flywheel and the v6 flywheel is larger. Maybe I should give up on the manual trana and just install the automatic that came with the turbo motor.

Does anybody know if the Buick Skyhawk or the Olds Starfire came with the even fire v6 and manual trana? I don't recall them making them past 1977 which would mean they would still be the odd fire motors.

Your're correct I just matched the flexplate from the buick to the vega manual flywheel and the v6 flywheel is larger. Maybe I should give up on the manual trana and just install the automatic that came with the turbo motor.

Does anybody know if the Buick Skyhawk or the Olds Starfire came with the even fire v6 and manual trana? I don't recall them making them past 1977 which would mean they would still be the odd fire motors.

HA! Maybe you could give me some advise on a super duty 4 banger build......? think about it.... id like to ask about the problems you had......

Anyways, I wouldnt count out a manual setup yet, its not too expensive short of the trans work- but I can help provide all of the part numbers to help assemble a turbo buick safe manual trans.

But yes the skyhawk did come with an even fire engine, I have a 79 with an even fire 3.8. not with a stick, but i can insure that an evenfire will swap directly in its place and the even fire flywheel found in a 78-79 regal will fit with a 79 firebird bell and T5 trans.

:biggrin: A.j.

They were made up to 80 and yes, they came with manuals. The flywheel for the Skyhawk is almost the same as the Regal but the Regal has one patern and the H body has 2 different set ups. That's why I said go with the Regal flywheel. It's the better one.

Back