You can type here any text you want

auto to manual trana, what is needs to be done.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have been looking for a flywheel but I'm having no luck, does anybody have one to sale?

thanks

try this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Flywheel-Flexplate-Motormite_5610370-P_267_R|GRP60006_724601380___

advance auto parts. $45

This is some VERY good reading! My (former) mechanic got me a bellhousing and flywheel from a 79 Monza, 3.8L 5sp.
I know the Monza had a T-50 trans from the factory, although I'd like to convert to a T-5. I don't mind cutting holes to make it work, so a trans from an F-body would be ideal for me. (I think?...)

The clutch is what's confusing me, tho. A 79 Skyhawk was available with a 10.4" x 10T x 1.125" clutch, but will that hold up to a turbo 4.1L? Also, wouldn't I need an input shaft from a T-5 Mustang to use that clutch?

This is some VERY good reading! My (former) mechanic got me a bellhousing and flywheel from a 79 Monza, 3.8L 5sp.
I know the Monza had a T-50 trans from the factory, although I'd like to convert to a T-5. I don't mind cutting holes to make it work, so a trans from an F-body would be ideal for me. (I think?...)

The clutch is what's confusing me, tho. A 79 Skyhawk was available with a 10.4" x 10T x 1.125" clutch, but will that hold up to a turbo 4.1L? Also, wouldn't I need an input shaft from a T-5 Mustang to use that clutch?

to use the Fbod V8 trans you need the disk from the V8 (26 spline 10.5) will fit inside the pressure plate of the Buick. The f-bod clutch will hold a turbo 4.1... and not adversly effect the thrust bearing, but if you really crack the boost up and make serious HP it might fade. really depends on the power you plan to make.

so,
the list.

80s V8 F body T5
78 Buick regal flywheel. (or centerforce if you can afford it)
78 Buick regal pressure plate
80s V8 F Body T5 clutch disk
78 Buick regal throw out bearing.
80s S10 4cyl or 6 cyl T5 tail shaft housing.
late 70s BOP bellhousing, I like the 79 firbird bell the best.

Now clutch linkage is a different question, If your already manual then its all power to ya... but if your swapping to manual I can list all of the parts for hydraulic throw out.

A.j.

to use the Fbod V8 trans you need the disk from the V8 (26 spline 10.5) will fit inside the pressure plate of the Buick. The f-bod clutch will hold a turbo 4.1... and not adversly effect the thrust bearing, but if you really crack the boost up and make serious HP it might fade. really depends on the power you plan to make.

so,
the list.

80s V8 F body T5
78 Buick regal flywheel. (or centerforce if you can afford it)
78 Buick regal pressure plate
80s V8 F Body T5 clutch disk
78 Buick regal throw out bearing.
80s S10 4cyl or 6 cyl T5 tail shaft housing.
late 70s BOP bellhousing, I like the 79 firbird bell the best.

Now clutch linkage is a different question, If your already manual then its all power to ya... but if your swapping to manual I can list all of the parts for hydraulic throw out.

A.j.

So my 79 Monza flywheel is pretty much worth scrap metal? Or, would I need a 3.8L Regal flywheel?
And as for the tailshaft, is that just to keep the shifter location as far forward as possible? That won't matter to me at all, since the whole shebang is going into a truck with bucket seats, and I like having the shifter close to my thigh.
The truck currently has a 2.2L auto in it, which is being sold off once I get it pulled out. I was going to be using all S-series clutch pedals, reservoir, etc.

So my 79 Monza flywheel is pretty much worth scrap metal? Or, would I need a 3.8L Regal flywheel?
And as for the tailshaft, is that just to keep the shifter location as far forward as possible? That won't matter to me at all, since the whole shebang is going into a truck with bucket seats, and I like having the shifter close to my thigh.
The truck currently has a 2.2L auto in it, which is being sold off once I get it pulled out. I was going to be using all S-series clutch pedals, reservoir, etc.

Ok Ok.... sorry typing faster than I read.

no your flywheel will work perfect. yes the S10 tail shaft will put it in the exsisting shifter hole, while the stock Fbody tail shaft is going to move the shifter location in that S10 almost a foot back, so think about that.

Everything else S10 will work great.

one question I have for you.......... whatcha gonna do with the 2.2 Clutch disk that come out? i need one.

:biggrin:A.j.

Ok Ok.... sorry typing faster than I read.

no your flywheel will work perfect. yes the S10 tail shaft will put it in the exsisting shifter hole, while the stock Fbody tail shaft is going to move the shifter location in that S10 almost a foot back, so think about that.

Everything else S10 will work great.

one question I have for you.......... whatcha gonna do with the 2.2 Clutch disk that come out? i need one.

:biggrin:A.j.

Speaking of typing faster than you read.... LOL

My truck is an automatic, so I don't have a shifter hole yet. I DO have a set of torches, a Sawzall, various holesaws, etc... I'll make the shifter hole where I need it.

I've owned several S-10s with manual transmissions, and I hated having the shifter so far forward. Once I get a T-5 installed, I'll be "mapping" the actual shift pattern and having a stainless piece plasma cut and made to fit a center console, with nylon bushings to make it smooth.

Speaking of typing faster than you read.... LOL

My truck is an automatic, so I don't have a shifter hole yet. I DO have a set of torches, a Sawzall, various holesaws, etc... I'll make the shifter hole where I need it.

I've owned several S-10s with manual transmissions, and I hated having the shifter so far forward. Once I get a T-5 installed, I'll be "mapping" the actual shift pattern and having a stainless piece plasma cut and made to fit a center console, with nylon bushings to make it smooth.

sheesh I am strait dum fu-cked today. LMAO

please excuse......

I got excited that a throw away disc might be around... I need one to compare for my S10 swap. I am using the same V8 trans, but still on a 4 banger.

A.j. = retard today.:D

I'm gonna throw something out there for you as well. The Monza bell has a cable operated lever. Since the S-10 uses a hydrolic master you'd be better off using an after market hydrolic throw out bearing. Much simpler to instal than having to figure out the clutch linkage.

Back